Question about the medicine Singulair

anonymous

I have a 4 yr old with CF, her Dr noticed a swollen mucus membrane in her nose the other day. First of all what does that mean??? She prescribed Singulair which i later read can cause upper respitory infections (one of the few side effects). Why would the DR prescribe this to a CF patient if thats one of the side effects. Do any of you take singulair? Or your children? Thanks, im not sure whether or not to give it to my daughter. Jennifer

anonymous

My 5 yr old son with cf takes singulair for allergy/asthma reasons. Unfortunately, if you read most of your med. side effects, most of them can cause almost a similar reaction as the reason they are taking the medication. The singulair has def. made a difference for Jason. He also takes Zyrtec. I am pretty sure I have noticed a good amount of other people with cf and asthma/allergies also take singulair. I hope some of this helps. I am wondering if the swollen mucus membrane is possibly a symptom of an irritant and this is why they prescribed the singulair to see if it helps. Does your 4 yr old have asthma or allergies? Take Care. Jo Ann

anonymous

Hi Joann! Its me, Jen. No, Kristen doesnt have allergies that we know of. I was just wondering why the dr put her on Singulair if it could cause upper resp. infection? That scared me when i read that it was one of the side effects. Does Jason have allergies? You said you have a 504 for him, did you draw it up with the principle or counselor of his school? Hows Tommy? When does school start? Haley goes tomorrow! Shes so excited! Jen

anonymous

Hi Jen - Jason has always had asthmatic (sp?) tendencies. We believe he has allergies; although the standard bloodwork shows none; but when we take him off zyrtec during seasonal allergy time, he has classic allergy symptoms. The singulair has not seemed to have any neg. side effects for him. The next time I see Dr. C. I will ask him more about the singulair and let you know. Did you get to see him yet? Also, you could call Amy and I think she would take the time to explain it or even Dawn. Did Dr. P. put her on singulair or your ped. or the e.n.t.? Personally, most of the possible side effects for all of the cf meds are pretty ironic; I think you have to weigh the possible benefits. In regards to the 504, we decided to keep him "classified" this year instead of the 504 due to other developmental delays. Once these are resolved, he will have a 504 plan. They are very similar in his case. We worked on his plan with the child study team, school nurse, and principal. Take Care! Jo Ann