Question

MichelleinKY

We just had our daughter Alyssa to her CF dr. for her chest x-ray and it came back clear but while we were there she pooped so we had them check it to see wheather or not her pancreas is still producing enzymes and we just got the call today that she is boarderline so what does that mean what is it we need to start looking for will we know if her pancreas is starting to shut down or not I am so confused she has been doing so well she just turned 6 months and is 17 LB 1 OZ as of the 9th so I just dont understand what is going on. Any insight would be nice Thank you

MichelleinKY

We just had our daughter Alyssa to her CF dr. for her chest x-ray and it came back clear but while we were there she pooped so we had them check it to see wheather or not her pancreas is still producing enzymes and we just got the call today that she is boarderline so what does that mean what is it we need to start looking for will we know if her pancreas is starting to shut down or not I am so confused she has been doing so well she just turned 6 months and is 17 LB 1 OZ as of the 9th so I just dont understand what is going on. Any insight would be nice Thank you

MichelleinKY

M

Mommafirst

Michelle,

My daughter, also Alyssa, was born pancreatic sufficient. Her numbers are always right on the border of working, so we started giving her enzymes anyway and we continue to treat her as if she is pancreatic insufficient. I know that, for her, missing an enzyme dose here or there is not a big deal because she doesn't suffer from pain, gas and oily stools as a result. But we still try to give her enzymes with her meals and snacks to help her gain weight and to preserve the funcitoning of pancreas that she does have. CF kids whose pancreas works are more likely to get pancreatitis so having them on enzymes is a way to help the pancreas and "baby" it a bit.

I hope this all helps. Bottom line is that a CF kiddo can lose pancreatic functioning at anytime.

M

Mommafirst

Michelle,

My daughter, also Alyssa, was born pancreatic sufficient. Her numbers are always right on the border of working, so we started giving her enzymes anyway and we continue to treat her as if she is pancreatic insufficient. I know that, for her, missing an enzyme dose here or there is not a big deal because she doesn't suffer from pain, gas and oily stools as a result. But we still try to give her enzymes with her meals and snacks to help her gain weight and to preserve the funcitoning of pancreas that she does have. CF kids whose pancreas works are more likely to get pancreatitis so having them on enzymes is a way to help the pancreas and "baby" it a bit.

I hope this all helps. Bottom line is that a CF kiddo can lose pancreatic functioning at anytime.

M

Mommafirst

Michelle,
<br />
<br />My daughter, also Alyssa, was born pancreatic sufficient. Her numbers are always right on the border of working, so we started giving her enzymes anyway and we continue to treat her as if she is pancreatic insufficient. I know that, for her, missing an enzyme dose here or there is not a big deal because she doesn't suffer from pain, gas and oily stools as a result. But we still try to give her enzymes with her meals and snacks to help her gain weight and to preserve the funcitoning of pancreas that she does have. CF kids whose pancreas works are more likely to get pancreatitis so having them on enzymes is a way to help the pancreas and "baby" it a bit.
<br />
<br />I hope this all helps. Bottom line is that a CF kiddo can lose pancreatic functioning at anytime.