reactions to Meropenem, Cipro, and Vancomycin IVs

Kendra

My husband has been on a compo of Meropenem, Cipro, and Vancomycin Ivs for about 10 days now and we had no serious side effects beside being tired, however last night he developed a full body rash and is very tired, with diarrhea and feeling slightly nauseous as well.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have read people having some of these symptoms but seems like happens right away at start of the IVs and we know that there is chance of rash with Vanco but just had that happens now- when non of the dosage has been changed.

Thanks

pjammer65

I know then when I take vanco I often get the 'red man syndrome' if it is infused to quickly. But that would happen immediately. And when i lowered the infusion rate it would go away. I don't know much, but I would probably get a hold of your doctor because it might be an allergic reaction. I have taken all 3 meds and none have given me a rash. Meropenem would make me nauseous and give me slight vertigo and cipro would give me GI issues.

G

Gorf

I have had allergic reactions on and off. The body changes over time. Steriods seem to help me with the rash, just have to watch your sugars if you also have diabeties.

keefer11

I wouldn't be concerned about the nausea, as a combination of 3 drugs is likely to induce nausea. The full body rash is a concern, if its just flushed skin it is likely red mans syndrome from the Vanco(which I get & use benedryl twice a day a half hour before taking vanco) but if it is bumps, I would definitely call your doctor. But trying benedryl wouldn't cause any harm. Also take probiotics(like Jarrow or culturelle) and that will help with the diarrhea in a few days, but don't take at the same time as infusing medication.