Relationships after Transplant?

musclemania70

Has anyone started a new relationship after a transplant or even met anyone after the surgery that led to marriage or serious relationship?

How do people react to your transplant once you had met someone new? Are they supportive?

I know that many have had wives/husbands pre-transplant and were able to continue the relationship after the surgery but I wanted to hear from those who have started NEW relationships after surgery.

What kind of reaction have you received?

musclemania70

Has anyone started a new relationship after a transplant or even met anyone after the surgery that led to marriage or serious relationship?

How do people react to your transplant once you had met someone new? Are they supportive?

I know that many have had wives/husbands pre-transplant and were able to continue the relationship after the surgery but I wanted to hear from those who have started NEW relationships after surgery.

musclemania70

musclemania70

musclemania70

<br />
<br />How do people react to your transplant once you had met someone new? Are they supportive?
<br />
<br />I know that many have had wives/husbands pre-transplant and were able to continue the relationship after the surgery but I wanted to hear from those who have started NEW relationships after surgery.
<br />
<br />What kind of reaction have you received?

CountryGirl

Hey. I havent really had a serious relationship after transplant, serious meaning over a year. I did start dating a guy about three months after my transplant, I met him thru a friend. He actually didnt find out from me that I had recieved a tx, my friend's mom announced it...awkward for me. We talked about it a few times, but this was some of my healthiest moments and he really seemed like he didnt want to realize the risks from it.

My boyfriend right now however is completely opposite. Again, I wasnt the first to tell him about my tx, my roomate had been trying to set us up for weeks and told him. I wasnt sure he knew though and so I told him one night, he was totally fine with it. Everynow and then he asks me questions and we have conversations about it. He really seems interested in how Im doing and how everything works and the problems I face, esp right now since I am going thru chronic rejection. Hes there for me though, he was even going to go with me to Denver to meet the tx drs there because Im looking at getting another tx. We ended up not going bc they wouldnt accept me. But it shows me he really seems to care and wants to help.

CountryGirl

Hey. I havent really had a serious relationship after transplant, serious meaning over a year. I did start dating a guy about three months after my transplant, I met him thru a friend. He actually didnt find out from me that I had recieved a tx, my friend's mom announced it...awkward for me. We talked about it a few times, but this was some of my healthiest moments and he really seemed like he didnt want to realize the risks from it.

My boyfriend right now however is completely opposite. Again, I wasnt the first to tell him about my tx, my roomate had been trying to set us up for weeks and told him. I wasnt sure he knew though and so I told him one night, he was totally fine with it. Everynow and then he asks me questions and we have conversations about it. He really seems interested in how Im doing and how everything works and the problems I face, esp right now since I am going thru chronic rejection. Hes there for me though, he was even going to go with me to Denver to meet the tx drs there because Im looking at getting another tx. We ended up not going bc they wouldnt accept me. But it shows me he really seems to care and wants to help.

CountryGirl

CountryGirl

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />My boyfriend right now however is completely opposite. Again, I wasnt the first to tell him about my tx, my roomate had been trying to set us up for weeks and told him. I wasnt sure he knew though and so I told him one night, he was totally fine with it. Everynow and then he asks me questions and we have conversations about it. He really seems interested in how Im doing and how everything works and the problems I face, esp right now since I am going thru chronic rejection. Hes there for me though, he was even going to go with me to Denver to meet the tx drs there because Im looking at getting another tx. We ended up not going bc they wouldnt accept me. But it shows me he really seems to care and wants to help.

summer732

I have received pretty positive reactions. Most of my dating experience for me comes post transplant. I'm in a serious relationship now and I have nothing but support. I was the one who told him about my transplant and he didn't think anything of it from day one. He is very proactive in making sure I take care of myself as far as medications, and taking care of my diabetes. I'm 5 years out so I really remember this all on my own, but it's great that he is involved and cares. Our relationship went through a major test when I was diagnosed with PTLD this summer. I have to say, I was quite impressed with how he handled it. Again involved in what the doctors had to say, did his own research, supportive through treatments and hospital stays. Has reassured me time and again that he is by my side no matter what and that he doesn't have to be there, but WANTS to be there. We had some very serious talks out of that experience and again all were positive and supportive.

My advice with dating someone post transplant is to be as open as possible. Show them your routine so it becomes routine to them and doesn't seem like such a big deal. All the while, make sure to have those conversations along the way about your health. Remember as much as you go through this, someone who cares about you is going through this too. So make sure to communicate and let your significant other know that it's okay to be scared and have fears and make sure he/she communicates that with you.

And make sure they know the importance of handwashing and keeping you updated if they have colds as well.

Let us know how it goes!

summer732

I have received pretty positive reactions. Most of my dating experience for me comes post transplant. I'm in a serious relationship now and I have nothing but support. I was the one who told him about my transplant and he didn't think anything of it from day one. He is very proactive in making sure I take care of myself as far as medications, and taking care of my diabetes. I'm 5 years out so I really remember this all on my own, but it's great that he is involved and cares. Our relationship went through a major test when I was diagnosed with PTLD this summer. I have to say, I was quite impressed with how he handled it. Again involved in what the doctors had to say, did his own research, supportive through treatments and hospital stays. Has reassured me time and again that he is by my side no matter what and that he doesn't have to be there, but WANTS to be there. We had some very serious talks out of that experience and again all were positive and supportive.

My advice with dating someone post transplant is to be as open as possible. Show them your routine so it becomes routine to them and doesn't seem like such a big deal. All the while, make sure to have those conversations along the way about your health. Remember as much as you go through this, someone who cares about you is going through this too. So make sure to communicate and let your significant other know that it's okay to be scared and have fears and make sure he/she communicates that with you.

And make sure they know the importance of handwashing and keeping you updated if they have colds as well.

Let us know how it goes!

summer732

Let us know how it goes!

summer732

Let us know how it goes!

summer732

<br />
<br />My advice with dating someone post transplant is to be as open as possible. Show them your routine so it becomes routine to them and doesn't seem like such a big deal. All the while, make sure to have those conversations along the way about your health. Remember as much as you go through this, someone who cares about you is going through this too. So make sure to communicate and let your significant other know that it's okay to be scared and have fears and make sure he/she communicates that with you.
<br />
<br />And make sure they know the importance of handwashing and keeping you updated if they have colds as well.
<br />
<br />Let us know how it goes!