RSV shot

damiengrandma

per instructions we are taking Damien in for this shot on Friday. They say it takes about an hour and I'm wondering if he will experience a low grade fever or anything from this.

anonymous

Hi Vicki,

I have been taking my daughter to get the Synagis (RSV shot) for 2 years now. It shouldn't take an hour... or atleast to give the shot! It is a shot full of a bunch of antibodies to help fight off Rsv and really any upper respitory infections. So far we have never had Rsv or any bad lung infections! I think it is due to the Rsv shot! Brinly is 19 months old and has only had a few colds. Only 2 she couldn't fight herself when she was under a year and had to be excubated in the hospital for iv antibiotics. Brinly has never been affected by the rsv shot other than just the pinch of the shot - no fever and discomfort afterwards! It is a wonderful shot!
For more info go to www.synagis.com

Blythe
mom to Brinly 19mo w/cf and Birgess 4 w/o

tweeksgrandpa

Our Gransson had his first RSV shot in December. There seemed to be an insurance thing going on. They finally covered the shot (shots we hope) Other then the pain with giving him a shot in each leg he had no problems from it.

Caleblove0802

Hi Vicki! My 5 month old son has been getting the synagis shot for the past few months. It does take us about an hour because they cannot mix the shot until your child has been weighed and then the mixture has to sit for 20 minutes. After they give Caleb the shot they have us hang out for another 20 minutes just to make sure he does not have an immediate reaction to the shot. So far he has done great. He has not had any problems or side effects. However, he is just now getting over a strand of RSV... it was very mild and the pediatrician advised us he still needs the synagis shot because it is more than likely preventing him from getting a more serious strand. Hope this helps!

Melissa
1 son 5 mos w/cf (Caleb)

anonymous

When DS had his they first had to weigh him, then calculate the dose, mix it up and it had to sit for 20 minutes -- apparently there's a chemical reaction and the stuff has to settle. We usually went toward the end of the day, so sometimes the nurses would get busy and forget about us, but if things were timed perfectly he'd have his shot and I'd pack him up and hit the door. This was after the first couple shots when we knew he wouldn't have a reaction.

Also, while I was waiting, I gave him a dose of baby tylenol in case he had any pain or reacted later from it. Don't believe he ever did, but I always give him tylenol right before he has any shots.

anonymous

Hi. I have a daughter 13 months and she has been getting the shot since Nov. 1 and is doing great. When she was 2 and a half months she got RSX and ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of it but has never had any lung infections. This Oct. her ped. got it oked by the insurance and stuff and her cf doctor told me good for you but it doesn't have any facts that it helps with children with cf well we are into the 3 month of cold and flu season and her lungs are clear and no colds either. I think and her ped. really thinks it helps let alone being allergic to her formula for 5 months till I figured it out and her ped. changed her to soy and now 13 months was put on Next Step toddler soy formula and any dairy products I buy in the organic section so they are soy also. She hasn't had a wheeze in her lungs since last may when the RSV was gone and the formula was changed. I was told though she won't get it after she turns 2 because age 2 is the limit.
Katina(mom of 3)
Ethan 9 wo/cf
Keriona almost 4 wo/cf
Saydee 13 months w/cf

anonymous

My son just turned 1 year and he has CF. He has had the RSV shot last season and this season, but all of a sudden there is some big insurance issues and it may not be covered. There has not been a problem and he has gotten in October, November and December, but this month we are going round and round. If it is not cleared up today I am going to have to pay for it myself.

Anyone else running into any issues on the RSV shot and it being covered by insurance?

Thanks,
Tab

anonymous

We had a problem getting BCBS to cover the shots because they're so expensive and CFers weren't on "the list" of approved patients -- preemies, children with heart problems, etc. were covered, but not CFers. We went round and round and finally our attorney faxed a letter over a letter basically saying the costs of treating RSV -- hospitalization, potential lung damage, trauma.... far outweighed the costs of the shots. We were approved a few minutes later. Up until that point our doctor, DH and I talked until we were blue in the face trying to convince them.