Safety Precautions After Transplant

A

ajmc87

Hi all,

My girlfriend had her transplant last February (almost one year!) and I was wondering if you all could share some tips and tricks for preventing infection. We follow the basic precautions, like hand-washing, sanitizing, housekeeping, avoiding large crowds, etc. But I was hoping to get some advice that is a little more on the creative side.

Any and all advice helps!

musclemania70

You can't get too creative when it comes to following protocol for germ prevention. I also had a tx about a year ago.
I don't go to movies, don't go to restaurants after 5 pm, stay away from children, avoid malls after 3 pm, wear gloves at the gym, and have someone else do the grocery shopping in flu season. I do all the cleaning at home though.
These restrictions are not required of me by the medical staff, i just do it to stay healthy. I have not been sick since i got my tx.
There is not much you can do to be creative about being cautious and careful.
Good luck.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Daverog75

Hello ajmc,

I had my transplant just 6 months ago, and as long you wash your hands and avoid sick people you will be fine. I was in a crowded bar last weekend and never felt like I was in danger of getting sick. I have been to restaurants and the movies. I have 2 nieces that I go and visit but before I go I found out if anybody in the house is sick if they are I wait until it passes then go visit.

Dave,