salt intake

happyone

I've had a difficult time trying to make sure my daughter gets enough salt (kind of back to my previous post about her not wanting to eat) Anyway, I have two questions.
1. Is something really high in sodium good for her, or is it the chloride part of the she needs?
2. We live in Pennsylvania with really hot sticky summers. Short of keeping her inside all summer, any recommendations on keeping her hydrated and salted? At 17 mo is she too young for gatorade?
Thanks for any ideas!

happyone

I've had a difficult time trying to make sure my daughter gets enough salt (kind of back to my previous post about her not wanting to eat) Anyway, I have two questions.
1. Is something really high in sodium good for her, or is it the chloride part of the she needs?
2. We live in Pennsylvania with really hot sticky summers. Short of keeping her inside all summer, any recommendations on keeping her hydrated and salted? At 17 mo is she too young for gatorade?
Thanks for any ideas!

happyone

Thanks for any ideas!

happyone

Thanks for any ideas!

happyone

<br />1. Is something really high in sodium good for her, or is it the chloride part of the she needs?
<br />2. We live in Pennsylvania with really hot sticky summers. Short of keeping her inside all summer, any recommendations on keeping her hydrated and salted? At 17 mo is she too young for gatorade?
<br />Thanks for any ideas!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's the salt issue. I posted on the family site about DS's cap turning white due to all the salt he loses.

I gave DS gatorade at that age. Last year, I just sprinkled some salt into his Kool-aid when he got home from preschool. I offer lots of salty snacks -- crackers, pretzels, peanuts or just the salt shaker.

He LOVES salt and recently his favorite snack is "salt cookies" == he sprinkles salt on cookies. Bleah. His doctor told me as long as he's getting adequate drinks -- water, juice, milk along with his taking hits off the salt shaker, he should be fine.

DS LOVES being outside, so I was concerned he wouldn't ask for something to drink or for salt. When he was younger and he was outside playing, we'd make him take a drink/salt break.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's the salt issue. I posted on the family site about DS's cap turning white due to all the salt he loses.

I gave DS gatorade at that age. Last year, I just sprinkled some salt into his Kool-aid when he got home from preschool. I offer lots of salty snacks -- crackers, pretzels, peanuts or just the salt shaker.

He LOVES salt and recently his favorite snack is "salt cookies" == he sprinkles salt on cookies. Bleah. His doctor told me as long as he's getting adequate drinks -- water, juice, milk along with his taking hits off the salt shaker, he should be fine.

DS LOVES being outside, so I was concerned he wouldn't ask for something to drink or for salt. When he was younger and he was outside playing, we'd make him take a drink/salt break.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I gave DS gatorade at that age. Last year, I just sprinkled some salt into his Kool-aid when he got home from preschool. I offer lots of salty snacks -- crackers, pretzels, peanuts or just the salt shaker.
<br />
<br />He LOVES salt and recently his favorite snack is "salt cookies" == he sprinkles salt on cookies. Bleah. His doctor told me as long as he's getting adequate drinks -- water, juice, milk along with his taking hits off the salt shaker, he should be fine.
<br />
<br />DS LOVES being outside, so I was concerned he wouldn't ask for something to drink or for salt. When he was younger and he was outside playing, we'd make him take a drink/salt break.

kitomd21

Has anyone heard of doctors routinely testing for sodium levels to determine if supplementation has been adequate? Then again, I haven't a clue how those values might fluctuate in the blood...

kitomd21

Has anyone heard of doctors routinely testing for sodium levels to determine if supplementation has been adequate? Then again, I haven't a clue how those values might fluctuate in the blood...

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Part of DS' annual blood work includes testing his sodium level. He's always been okay. I seem to recall one of his first CF clinics, the nurse called to tell us his sodium levels were fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Part of DS' annual blood work includes testing his sodium level. He's always been okay. I seem to recall one of his first CF clinics, the nurse called to tell us his sodium levels were fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member