Salt Water Pools

zaj1139

I have heard that CFers cannot go in Salt Water Pools. My grandson is 4 and my mother just purchased a home with a salt water pool. What are the risks as to why they cannot go in the pool? I know I read before on this site of people who were using Salt Water Pools just not Hot Tubs. Could someone explain this to us?

SaraNoH

Never heard of that before. Personally I've gone in a few salt water pools multiple times. Hell, I go to the beach regularly and swim in super salty water and the salt air is great. BUT I'm just an anecdote so... yeah.

I can't imagine why this would be so. Probably just another overly paranoid person out there... I guess just don't swallow the water xD. But you wouldn't want to swallow any water.

Actually, you'd think salt water pools would be better because they do not contain heavy (or any, right?) amounts of chlorine. I know some people are very sensitive to it, breathing wise.

B

BreathinSteven

I think I agree with SaraNoH... I've never heard about restrictions regarding salt water pools (or the ocean...) In fact -- I'd kinda heard that part of the reason they developed the hypertonic saline treatment was derived from the lung health of some patients living by and surfing and whatnot in the ocean...

I don't know if this would be a bacteria issue -- I would imagine that salt water also inhibits bacteria growth -- but I'm not sure... I haven't been to a CF center in 12+ years, since my lung transplant -- but I don't recall having swimming restrictions (other than for sanitary issues...)

I hope someone with knowledge of this chimes in! Love, Steve

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Ocean water is high salt content and is wonderful for you. The high concentrations of salt, clear out bacteria. The water in a salt water pool does not have the same concentration and since you don't use chlorine to keep bacteria at bay, it tends to allow bacteria to grow. Same problem in hot tubs where chlorine is not used and the heat promotes bacterial growth. In a chlorinated pool, if the chlorine levels are kept up appropriately, it too is safe - hence the preference for private chlorinated pools where you can ensure chlorine levels are.high enough for sanitary conditions. Public pools are subject to the vagaries of the caretakers and the level of public use at any given time. That's a summary of what I've learned from docs and research on the subject when my little one first cultured pseudemonas years ago and we started coming up with clear cultures but he had polyps. I didn't wanta repeat!

B

BreathinSteven

Thanks for the information, Gammaw!!! What you say makes sense... Love, Steve