sand and the mickey button?

MOME2RT

Just thinking about the summer months ahead and thought about the the mickey button and the beach..... or even the sand box....what happens if sand gets under the button? Im new at this and my mind is wandering aimlessly. Also I know it can get wet....but when you come out of the pool or ocean do you have to make sure its dry around it everytime? Should I put a shirt on him when hes playing in the sand at the beach? Sorry I sound sooooooooo dense but I really would like to know....Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

JazzysMom

I think these are vaid & interestig ???s. I cant help you, but I interested in seeing what others who van help have to say!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi Leah,

That's why we're all here, no such thing as a dumb question. My kids have had their g-tube for two years (two summers at the beach). Their's is a bard button not the mickey, but they have never had a problem with sand. For asthetics, they like to keep it covered with a 2X3 bandaid at the beach. That might help for Reece if you're worried. If sand does get in it, just flush with water. You might want to bring a squirt bottle with you just in case.

As far as having it stay wet, its best to dry it off, or let it air dry. One of my sons has had no problem with his, the other has had granulation tissue around his site. We were told that it was from moisture. He was keeping it covered with a bandaid all day at school (he was afraid other kids would see it- jr high issue). His sweat would get caught in the bandaid so it would stay wet all day. The granulation tissue was really yucky, but we had it taken care of. The doctor cauterized it with silver nitrate. He now uses a powder (stomahesive) to keep it dry. No problems since.

Enjoy the summer- no worries.

Jane

farmfamily

My son has had his Mickey button going on nine years. So it has been through just about everything with out any problems. We have swam at beaches before and if I remember correctly it did get sand under it one time and get a little irritated but nothing a bath didn't take care of. Just a little FYI he tried the Baird button for a year last year because he's 13 and it had a lower profile, it leaked all the time around the site. He had to change shirts often. They put a 'washer' underneath it and it helped a little but there went the lower porfile. so we are back with the Mickey.

Terri
Mom of three 1w/o CF, 2w/CF