Staph aureus on throat culture -- no treatment

dlo2977

I got my daughter's report card from the CF Center today. She has no outright signs of respiratory disease with her CF, but is PI. On the paper, it said she cultured staph aureus -- no treatment needed. Isn't this a pathogen?? I didn't think it was normal flora.

dlo2977

I got my daughter's report card from the CF Center today. She has no outright signs of respiratory disease with her CF, but is PI. On the paper, it said she cultured staph aureus -- no treatment needed. Isn't this a pathogen?? I didn't think it was normal flora.

dlo2977

dlo2977

dlo2977

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Some clinics choose to treat it only if there are symptoms. Think there have been several discussion on this site regarding treatment vs. nontreatment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Some clinics choose to treat it only if there are symptoms. Think there have been several discussion on this site regarding treatment vs. nontreatment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

ctalbott0609

Paige has cultured staph before, and a lot of the times, the Dr's will let it grow. Staph has a capability to fight off some of the "badder bugs" naturally, and Dr's also want to see HOW it will grow. There are some people who culture staph regularly, it's just part of their natural growth. So, it's totally common for Dr's to forgo treatment. I wouldn't worry, as long as your DD isn't showing any unusual symptoms.

ctalbott0609

Paige has cultured staph before, and a lot of the times, the Dr's will let it grow. Staph has a capability to fight off some of the "badder bugs" naturally, and Dr's also want to see HOW it will grow. There are some people who culture staph regularly, it's just part of their natural growth. So, it's totally common for Dr's to forgo treatment. I wouldn't worry, as long as your DD isn't showing any unusual symptoms.

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

dlo2977

That's what I figured. They are obviously very thorough and since I never gpt a call, I figured her culture was fine. We just got her report in the mail today, but her appointment was 2 1/2 weeks ago. She is acting fine and not coughing.

dlo2977

That's what I figured. They are obviously very thorough and since I never gpt a call, I figured her culture was fine. We just got her report in the mail today, but her appointment was 2 1/2 weeks ago. She is acting fine and not coughing.

dlo2977

dlo2977

dlo2977