STILL COPING

G

grantsmom

My son Grant is 4 months old, he was diagnosed through newborn screeing. His birth weight was 4lbs 10 oz and weighs almost 12lbs now. At this point he is going to his cf clinic on a monthly basis. He currently takes 2 creon 5 with every meal, zantac and vitamins. His last culture showed staph auerus which they are not treating. I'm told this is common. My husband and I are still adjusting, we have good days when we feel optimistic and other days when its still really hard to accept. I'm glad to have found this site, it's answered so many my questions.

G

grantsmom

My son Grant is 4 months old, he was diagnosed through newborn screeing. His birth weight was 4lbs 10 oz and weighs almost 12lbs now. At this point he is going to his cf clinic on a monthly basis. He currently takes 2 creon 5 with every meal, zantac and vitamins. His last culture showed staph auerus which they are not treating. I'm told this is common. My husband and I are still adjusting, we have good days when we feel optimistic and other days when its still really hard to accept. I'm glad to have found this site, it's answered so many my questions.

G

grantsmom

G

grantsmom

G

grantsmom

M

Mommafirst

Four months is not a lot of time to come to terms with this diagnosis. At four months post diagnosis, I had more bad days than good. But it has gotten better. Today we celebrated my daughter's THIRD birthday!! She's amazing. And smart, and beautiful, and special, and pretty darn healthy. She cultures staph too. It mainly makes it hard for her to gain weight. She always gains better after a round of antibiotics that kill the staph. But the staph always comes back and then her weight gets sluggish again.

Hang in there. Sooner or later the good days, the optomistic days, will overtake the bad ones.

M

Mommafirst

Four months is not a lot of time to come to terms with this diagnosis. At four months post diagnosis, I had more bad days than good. But it has gotten better. Today we celebrated my daughter's THIRD birthday!! She's amazing. And smart, and beautiful, and special, and pretty darn healthy. She cultures staph too. It mainly makes it hard for her to gain weight. She always gains better after a round of antibiotics that kill the staph. But the staph always comes back and then her weight gets sluggish again.

Hang in there. Sooner or later the good days, the optomistic days, will overtake the bad ones.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Hang in there. Sooner or later the good days, the optomistic days, will overtake the bad ones.

grassisgreener

I agree that 4 months isn't very much time. I think it took me well over a year to stop crying regularly about it (I still cry about it sometimes but it is more like 2 or 3 big cries a year now) and my daughter wcf is now 5.5 years old. It sounds like Grant is growing wonderfully and I hope he continues to do so well! Hang in there, there is so much hope in newer treatments and in those treatments/meds that are working through the pipeline, hopefully to be used soon!

grassisgreener

I agree that 4 months isn't very much time. I think it took me well over a year to stop crying regularly about it (I still cry about it sometimes but it is more like 2 or 3 big cries a year now) and my daughter wcf is now 5.5 years old. It sounds like Grant is growing wonderfully and I hope he continues to do so well! Hang in there, there is so much hope in newer treatments and in those treatments/meds that are working through the pipeline, hopefully to be used soon!

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
At 4 months, we were still adjusting to the diagnosis, getting used to the routine and DS had been in daycare for about a month, which brought to me a whole new set of worries and concerns along with the regular crying jags.

Balancing the worries about the future, the what ifs -- he gets sick, gets another bowel obstruction... vs. trying to lead a normal life and enjoy normal baby stuff, normal baby milestones. And with each little glitch -- an ear infection, the flu season, the first cold, DH's first overnight trip and me handling treatments alone... we became a bit more confident...

I still worry, still have a crying jag. I don't cry every time I go to church anymore, though I did get teary at DS' Xmas program last month.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
At 4 months, we were still adjusting to the diagnosis, getting used to the routine and DS had been in daycare for about a month, which brought to me a whole new set of worries and concerns along with the regular crying jags.

Balancing the worries about the future, the what ifs -- he gets sick, gets another bowel obstruction... vs. trying to lead a normal life and enjoy normal baby stuff, normal baby milestones. And with each little glitch -- an ear infection, the flu season, the first cold, DH's first overnight trip and me handling treatments alone... we became a bit more confident...

I still worry, still have a crying jag. I don't cry every time I go to church anymore, though I did get teary at DS' Xmas program last month.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Balancing the worries about the future, the what ifs -- he gets sick, gets another bowel obstruction... vs. trying to lead a normal life and enjoy normal baby stuff, normal baby milestones. And with each little glitch -- an ear infection, the flu season, the first cold, DH's first overnight trip and me handling treatments alone... we became a bit more confident...
<br />
<br />I still worry, still have a crying jag. I don't cry every time I go to church anymore, though I did get teary at DS' Xmas program last month.