Sugar free diet or not?

Anns

I have been thinking a lot about what my son eats and the diet that
is pushed by his doctor.  They feel the more fat, the better.
 Will say go to McDonalds, the more chicken nuggets the
better.  Ho Hos, Great.  So I do this, and he is a great
eater and in 75% of weight, 77 lb/35kg at 9, but the one time he
did not gain any weight, but still didn't lose in a 6 mo period
they were concerned and tried to push scandishakes.  <br>
<br>
But I know Dr Warrick practices sugar free diet and that really
makes since, because I feel diabetes is a real concern for him due
to him being so pancreatic insufficient.  So I am really
thinking about persuing this.  I mentioned it to him today and
off course he was like, I"I can't have cookies"  Has
anyone changed to a sugar free diet and had any experience with
this.  I know even bread has starches that diabetic beople
have to be careful with, so to what extent do u go sugar free?
 Then even the gatorade that he so loves and needs in sports
is full of sugar, so what do u do there.  Love to hear all
thoughts on this, because as u all know, I don't know it all.<br>
Thanks

Anns

<br>
Thanks

Anns

<br>
Thanks

JazzysMom

I believe like anything in life that moderation is the key. My biggest concern with sugars or starches is that IF he should develop diabetes & needs to alter his intake of these, its such a devistating change. Having the balanced & limited intake would be great from the beginning. Not just as potential preventative measure, but to avoid any EXTREME adjustment later if diabetes is developed. Just my 2 cents!

JazzysMom

I believe like anything in life that moderation is the key. My biggest concern with sugars or starches is that IF he should develop diabetes & needs to alter his intake of these, its such a devistating change. Having the balanced & limited intake would be great from the beginning. Not just as potential preventative measure, but to avoid any EXTREME adjustment later if diabetes is developed. Just my 2 cents!

JazzysMom

JRPandTJP

I think the advice given by doctors and nutritionist to eat basically ceat rap like McDonalds and nasty snack food is appalling!!! I have been into nutrition for much longer than my son has been around and when they told me that I about fell off my chair!!! I truly believe it is irresponsible and sends the wrong message about the value of food in the health and maintanence of the body, especially in CF. My blood boils when I hear people say they feed their kids anything just to get calories into them. THis is horrible when you look at the affect trans fatty acids, not enough omega 3, and sugar do to the body from an inflammatory point of view. Not to mention the diabetes risk! Yet we are told very matter-of-factly that loading the diet with dairy-based, high fat foods is what is best?? Wrong and not true. Their are so many other ways to do it and picking the right combination of foods can help support not only the immune system to resist infection but can help balance the inflammation response in the body.

My son is only 2 but I have no intention of every buying into that advice. We do not have sugar snacks in the house (unless we bake something to enjoy from time to time) and I try to feed him 5-6 small meals a day with a protein, healthy fat and fruit or veggie at each meal (obviously B-L-D are bigger). We also use smoothies to get extra greens and flax seeds into the diet which he loves. We keep drinking to a minimum unless during or after meals to avoid filling up between meals. He is now in the 50-60% after starting out life off the charts. THis approach keeps blood sugar more stable throughout the day and I notice it helps me to eat like this too.

I am studying this whole topic carefully right now and hope others do the same. I hope to see this horrible advice change in his life time. We are currently researching the role of modulating inflammation in the body with food based herbs. This can be done in cooking or in supplmentation with whole foods products like Zyflamend. I have contacted a doctor from New Chapter to see if this could be researched in CF and am hoping to follow this along to see if we can't get more information on this very topic.

We all should be aware of how obsurd this advice really is and follow our guts to better health for ourselves and our children.

JOdy

JRPandTJP

I think the advice given by doctors and nutritionist to eat basically ceat rap like McDonalds and nasty snack food is appalling!!! I have been into nutrition for much longer than my son has been around and when they told me that I about fell off my chair!!! I truly believe it is irresponsible and sends the wrong message about the value of food in the health and maintanence of the body, especially in CF. My blood boils when I hear people say they feed their kids anything just to get calories into them. THis is horrible when you look at the affect trans fatty acids, not enough omega 3, and sugar do to the body from an inflammatory point of view. Not to mention the diabetes risk! Yet we are told very matter-of-factly that loading the diet with dairy-based, high fat foods is what is best?? Wrong and not true. Their are so many other ways to do it and picking the right combination of foods can help support not only the immune system to resist infection but can help balance the inflammation response in the body.

My son is only 2 but I have no intention of every buying into that advice. We do not have sugar snacks in the house (unless we bake something to enjoy from time to time) and I try to feed him 5-6 small meals a day with a protein, healthy fat and fruit or veggie at each meal (obviously B-L-D are bigger). We also use smoothies to get extra greens and flax seeds into the diet which he loves. We keep drinking to a minimum unless during or after meals to avoid filling up between meals. He is now in the 50-60% after starting out life off the charts. THis approach keeps blood sugar more stable throughout the day and I notice it helps me to eat like this too.

I am studying this whole topic carefully right now and hope others do the same. I hope to see this horrible advice change in his life time. We are currently researching the role of modulating inflammation in the body with food based herbs. This can be done in cooking or in supplmentation with whole foods products like Zyflamend. I have contacted a doctor from New Chapter to see if this could be researched in CF and am hoping to follow this along to see if we can't get more information on this very topic.

We all should be aware of how obsurd this advice really is and follow our guts to better health for ourselves and our children.

JOdy

JRPandTJP

JOdy

CaliSally

Yes, healthy eating and moderation. I don't have the taste buds for junk food, which I think is good. Our bodies need REAL nutrients, not simply calorie/fat ladden foods.

I'm an adult with CFRD - two conflicting diseases on paper. One dictates you eat anything and everything, the other wants a strict meal plan, NO sugar. While I'm not the perfect diabetic student...I'm thankful for the new insulins that allow me the freedom that I didn't have 20 yrs ago. As a diabetic, I don't think totally sugar free is necessary (contrary to current belief), and besides, I'm not a big fan off chemicals - the less fake stuff, the better. I do drink sodas with sugar and sugar snacks, but it's not a way of life and I think that's the key. A balanced meal plan is best for everyone.
Did you know that Weight Watchers gets it's guidance from the ADA??? Everyone needs a balance of carbs, fat and protein - its the way our bodies function best.

I agree with other posts - learn to eat healthy <b>now</b>, using healthy foods for calories, not twinkies and soda. If you look at a diabetes food chart, you will get an eye for what foods have more carbs = more calories that are healthy foods.

Also, we get the same thing from our nutritionist - 'WHY DON'T YOU DRINK YOUR SCANDISHAKE???" I don't have trouble maintaining my weight, so why should I...granted a few extra pounds wouldn't hurt and I'm not opposed to it, yet WHY is it like Bible to them that we drink them.
Answer: They have an agenda and that's all the know. It's enough to drive a person to drink, they way they hammer you with this crap. Don't let it get you down and don't live in fear.

Developing diabetes IS a huge adjustment, but if you start out with balanced eating NOW, you can prevent a huge hassle later, IF needed.

...and that's my 2 cents...

CaliSally

Yes, healthy eating and moderation. I don't have the taste buds for junk food, which I think is good. Our bodies need REAL nutrients, not simply calorie/fat ladden foods.

I'm an adult with CFRD - two conflicting diseases on paper. One dictates you eat anything and everything, the other wants a strict meal plan, NO sugar. While I'm not the perfect diabetic student...I'm thankful for the new insulins that allow me the freedom that I didn't have 20 yrs ago. As a diabetic, I don't think totally sugar free is necessary (contrary to current belief), and besides, I'm not a big fan off chemicals - the less fake stuff, the better. I do drink sodas with sugar and sugar snacks, but it's not a way of life and I think that's the key. A balanced meal plan is best for everyone.
Did you know that Weight Watchers gets it's guidance from the ADA??? Everyone needs a balance of carbs, fat and protein - its the way our bodies function best.

I agree with other posts - learn to eat healthy <b>now</b>, using healthy foods for calories, not twinkies and soda. If you look at a diabetes food chart, you will get an eye for what foods have more carbs = more calories that are healthy foods.

Also, we get the same thing from our nutritionist - 'WHY DON'T YOU DRINK YOUR SCANDISHAKE???" I don't have trouble maintaining my weight, so why should I...granted a few extra pounds wouldn't hurt and I'm not opposed to it, yet WHY is it like Bible to them that we drink them.
Answer: They have an agenda and that's all the know. It's enough to drive a person to drink, they way they hammer you with this crap. Don't let it get you down and don't live in fear.

Developing diabetes IS a huge adjustment, but if you start out with balanced eating NOW, you can prevent a huge hassle later, IF needed.

CaliSally

EnergyGal

I once asked my doctor why the CF doctors recommend that children or adults with CF eat junky foods like mcdonalds etc... She said because many poeple with CF do not like to eat so eating anything is better than nothing. Of coure it is better to eat healthier she said but not many parents can cook for their children and the story goes on.

Thankfully, I learned by myself at a young age that eating twinkies and oreos would send me into the bathroom for longer than expected. I stopped eating the junk foods and ate healthier instead of the cookies.

I wish they had more health food stores when I was growing up. Once I moved out on my own, the health food stores started to sprout and I was out and eating healthier.

My mom is a great cook and thankfully she encouraged healthier eating.

When I stopped eating the oreos and twinkies, I substituted those snacks with pizza. Pizza is not my healthier choice today but it is far better than woofing down twinkies and oreos. That year I gained twenty pounds.

Today, I generally eat a very healthy diet but there is always room for improvement.

I tried Scandishakes, I did not care for them. I tried Pulmocare and Ensure plus and they all helped to gain weight but I prefer making my own healthier shakes. If you cannot cook or one does not feel good then do whatever you have to do increase your appetite and if one of these drinks is available drink up. I would try and eat a healthy meal first because if you load up on energy drinks and not food, it will be tough gaining weight. These drinks are good for added calories and people will benefit with weight gain if they drink up after eating a meal.

EnergyGal

I once asked my doctor why the CF doctors recommend that children or adults with CF eat junky foods like mcdonalds etc... She said because many poeple with CF do not like to eat so eating anything is better than nothing. Of coure it is better to eat healthier she said but not many parents can cook for their children and the story goes on.

Thankfully, I learned by myself at a young age that eating twinkies and oreos would send me into the bathroom for longer than expected. I stopped eating the junk foods and ate healthier instead of the cookies.

I wish they had more health food stores when I was growing up. Once I moved out on my own, the health food stores started to sprout and I was out and eating healthier.

When I stopped eating the oreos and twinkies, I substituted those snacks with pizza. Pizza is not my healthier choice today but it is far better than woofing down twinkies and oreos. That year I gained twenty pounds.

Today, I generally eat a very healthy diet but there is always room for improvement.

I tried Scandishakes, I did not care for them. I tried Pulmocare and Ensure plus and they all helped to gain weight but I prefer making my own healthier shakes. If you cannot cook or one does not feel good then do whatever you have to do increase your appetite and if one of these drinks is available drink up. I would try and eat a healthy meal first because if you load up on energy drinks and not food, it will be tough gaining weight. These drinks are good for added calories and people will benefit with weight gain if they drink up after eating a meal.

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

If you ask me a sugar free diet would be a diet free of refined sugars like cookies and cakes. If your children love the cookies, make your own with healthier ingredients. You can subsitute wheat for other grains, you can substitute refined white sugar for frutose, maple syrup, brown sugar or fruit sweeteners.

It is better to eat a whole fruit then drink fruit juice. It is better to eat kamut, spelt pastas and bread than eat white breads.

It is better to curb on the tomato sauce if one has reflux or has diabetes.

You can dilute some juices with water so you do not get the highs and lows from the sugars.

You are what you eat and if you starve your body from valuable nutritients from quality foods, you will have a hard time getting enough vitamins to supply your body with the right amount.

EnergyGal

If you ask me a sugar free diet would be a diet free of refined sugars like cookies and cakes. If your children love the cookies, make your own with healthier ingredients. You can subsitute wheat for other grains, you can substitute refined white sugar for frutose, maple syrup, brown sugar or fruit sweeteners.

It is better to eat a whole fruit then drink fruit juice. It is better to eat kamut, spelt pastas and bread than eat white breads.

You can dilute some juices with water so you do not get the highs and lows from the sugars.

You are what you eat and if you starve your body from valuable nutritients from quality foods, you will have a hard time getting enough vitamins to supply your body with the right amount.

EnergyGal

CaliSally

ditto, the junk food causes more bathroom problems, even with the enzymes. Too many bathroom trips leaves me feeling weak. I'd rather eat better and have less of those problems.

CaliSally

ditto, the junk food causes more bathroom problems, even with the enzymes. Too many bathroom trips leaves me feeling weak. I'd rather eat better and have less of those problems.