Swallowing Creon pills

ajb900

I am about to start working on getting my almost 2 year old to swallow her creon. I am curious about the timing. Do I need to wait for a few minutes after she takes the creon before she eats anything? Or can she eat directly after taking them? We don't have another clinic appt until April and I don't want to wait until then to start doing this! Please help!

ajb900

I am about to start working on getting my almost 2 year old to swallow her creon. I am curious about the timing. Do I need to wait for a few minutes after she takes the creon before she eats anything? Or can she eat directly after taking them? We don't have another clinic appt until April and I don't want to wait until then to start doing this! Please help!

ajb900

SIcklyhatED

I've always just taken mine whenever (was on Pancrease MT10, now Creon). Sometimes even hours after I'd eat due to forgetting. Though the last time I spoke to a nutritionist at the clinic said it is best to take them 15 mins or so before eating. She said it was similar to "unlocking doors." The Creon would "unlock the door" then the food would be ebtter absorbed by said "open door."

personally I have an iron stomach and it's never bothered me too much, but for a youngin' I'd suggest a little before eating?

SIcklyhatED

I've always just taken mine whenever (was on Pancrease MT10, now Creon). Sometimes even hours after I'd eat due to forgetting. Though the last time I spoke to a nutritionist at the clinic said it is best to take them 15 mins or so before eating. She said it was similar to "unlocking doors." The Creon would "unlock the door" then the food would be ebtter absorbed by said "open door."

personally I have an iron stomach and it's never bothered me too much, but for a youngin' I'd suggest a little before eating?

SIcklyhatED

<br />
<br />personally I have an iron stomach and it's never bothered me too much, but for a youngin' I'd suggest a little before eating?

hmw

Right when you start eating, since they have a limited amount of time that they are effective. Emily takes hers with her first bites of food; and has had no problems if she forgets and takes them later in the meal. When it works the way it should, the pancreas naturally secretes enzymes when it senses food entering the digestive tract so taking their enzymes with the food most closely mimics this process and gets them where they need to be at the right time. Since they work for such a short time, we were told if she is still eating an hour or so later to take more.

hmw

Right when you start eating, since they have a limited amount of time that they are effective. Emily takes hers with her first bites of food; and has had no problems if she forgets and takes them later in the meal. When it works the way it should, the pancreas naturally secretes enzymes when it senses food entering the digestive tract so taking their enzymes with the food most closely mimics this process and gets them where they need to be at the right time. Since they work for such a short time, we were told if she is still eating an hour or so later to take more.

hmw