Swallowing enzymes

tabbycat821

My 3 month old has started having problems swallowing his enzymes. He is on 2 Creon-5 with each feed which I put on a bit of applesauce. He has started sort of choking on them, he gags and sounds like he's going to throw up. I started adding juice to the applesauce to thin it to see if that helps but even when the enzymes are well mixed in it still sometimes happens. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

tabbycat821

My 3 month old has started having problems swallowing his enzymes. He is on 2 Creon-5 with each feed which I put on a bit of applesauce. He has started sort of choking on them, he gags and sounds like he's going to throw up. I started adding juice to the applesauce to thin it to see if that helps but even when the enzymes are well mixed in it still sometimes happens. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS never did like applesauce but didn't mind stage one pears or bananas. We pretty much used bananas. Maybe it's a matter of not enough fruit in the spoon to hide the beads or too much. We'd shove the spoon in, pull it out quickly and stick the bottle in right away and they'd usually go down fairly easily. We also did better with a flatter baby spoon. Originally we used a tongue depressor, but a couple times nicked the roof of his mouth, which really annoyed him.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS never did like applesauce but didn't mind stage one pears or bananas. We pretty much used bananas. Maybe it's a matter of not enough fruit in the spoon to hide the beads or too much. We'd shove the spoon in, pull it out quickly and stick the bottle in right away and they'd usually go down fairly easily. We also did better with a flatter baby spoon. Originally we used a tongue depressor, but a couple times nicked the roof of his mouth, which really annoyed him.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

TobysMom

we were told to either do that (with apple sauce) or to just pour them into DS's mouth and then give him his bottle right away to wash them down. if your LO is breastfed, perhaps wash it down with a small amount of expressed milk by bottle first.

TobysMom

we were told to either do that (with apple sauce) or to just pour them into DS's mouth and then give him his bottle right away to wash them down. if your LO is breastfed, perhaps wash it down with a small amount of expressed milk by bottle first.

TobysMom

TobysMom

TobysMom

<br />
<br />

tabbycat821

We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.

tabbycat821

We were told by our first clinic that the enzymes had to be taken with something acidic in order for them to work properly, has anyone else been told this? We ran out of applesauce and I have been mixing the enzymes with a little apple juice and a bit of cereal to thicken it. I also figured the cereal would add calories, I know very little calories but anything helps.

tabbycat821

tabbycat821

tabbycat821