Sweat test 39/35

owen10

Ok my son who is 6 had the sweat test done and his results were 35/39. I know this is normal but because of the 39, I almost want it done once more. We have a strong history in our family, my son also has an undiiagnosed metabolic disease. He has chronic sinus infections, doesn't gain weight and lots of bellyaches.Do you think I should push for a retest, or just take it as a noraml...I just feel like he was one away from borderline.
Thanks for any help,
Carrie

owen10

Ok my son who is 6 had the sweat test done and his results were 35/39. I know this is normal but because of the 39, I almost want it done once more. We have a strong history in our family, my son also has an undiiagnosed metabolic disease. He has chronic sinus infections, doesn't gain weight and lots of bellyaches.Do you think I should push for a retest, or just take it as a noraml...I just feel like he was one away from borderline.
Thanks for any help,
Carrie

owen10

<br />Thanks for any help,
<br />Carrie

martysmom

So sorry you are going through this. That is very close to borderline. I would just go right to genetic testing. Ask the doctor about it and hopefully they go for it. I had to fight for genetic testing on my son and I am sure glad I did because it turns out that he does have CF. Another test that would be a good one is fecal elastase test. This can determine whether or not he is pancreatic sufficient or insufficient. It is a simple test and could help explain some of the weight gain issues. A 39 is certainly high enought to raise flags for genetic testing. There are also over 1600 mutations. A general panel will not pick up all of the mutations so amplified tests such as Ambry or quest can be more definitive. I hope this helps. Hang in there and I hope you find answers soon!! Feel free to message me at any time if you have more questions!!

martysmom

So sorry you are going through this. That is very close to borderline. I would just go right to genetic testing. Ask the doctor about it and hopefully they go for it. I had to fight for genetic testing on my son and I am sure glad I did because it turns out that he does have CF. Another test that would be a good one is fecal elastase test. This can determine whether or not he is pancreatic sufficient or insufficient. It is a simple test and could help explain some of the weight gain issues. A 39 is certainly high enought to raise flags for genetic testing. There are also over 1600 mutations. A general panel will not pick up all of the mutations so amplified tests such as Ambry or quest can be more definitive. I hope this helps. Hang in there and I hope you find answers soon!! Feel free to message me at any time if you have more questions!!

martysmom

M

Mommafirst

Like Kelly said, its worth it to keep pushing. IMO thats an awfully high number in the normal range to just let it go. It would be different if he had NO symptoms, but with symptoms, family history and the high normal sweat....seems like they should continue to look into this.

M

Mommafirst

Like Kelly said, its worth it to keep pushing. IMO thats an awfully high number in the normal range to just let it go. It would be different if he had NO symptoms, but with symptoms, family history and the high normal sweat....seems like they should continue to look into this.

M

Mommafirst

S

SarahProcter

My kid who <b>does</b> have CF, confirmed by genetic testing, had a 37 sweat test. That was not considered enough to de-diagnose her, even though she has zero symptoms, because we know from the genetic testing that she has broken CFTR genes. I agree that genetic testing and fecal elastase tests would be where I would go next in your shoes.

S

SarahProcter

My kid who <b>does</b> have CF, confirmed by genetic testing, had a 37 sweat test. That was not considered enough to de-diagnose her, even though she has zero symptoms, because we know from the genetic testing that she has broken CFTR genes. I agree that genetic testing and fecal elastase tests would be where I would go next in your shoes.

S

SarahProcter

M

marcijo

My sweat test was 40 and I do have CF. Because my sweat test was borderline-they did the genetic testing on me. I would definitely push for the genetic testing!

M

marcijo

My sweat test was 40 and I do have CF. Because my sweat test was borderline-they did the genetic testing on me. I would definitely push for the genetic testing!

M

marcijo

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had a normal 32 for his sweat test, but blood tests showed CF. I think I saw a post regarding your son on healthboards -- on creon, has had some repiratory infections.... Has he ever gotten CF cultures for pseudomonas, mrsa, steno. maltophilia or other cf respiratory bugs?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had a normal 32 for his sweat test, but blood tests showed CF. I think I saw a post regarding your son on healthboards -- on creon, has had some repiratory infections.... Has he ever gotten CF cultures for pseudomonas, mrsa, steno. maltophilia or other cf respiratory bugs?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

ziggygirlkcz

My son's sweat tests were 29 and 47. I was told at a cf clinic that patients with those numbers do not have cf and we were blown off. Finally after a year, we have an appointment at another cf clinic for further testing. Don't give up. I intend to keep pushing until I know one way or the other.

ziggygirlkcz

My son's sweat tests were 29 and 47. I was told at a cf clinic that patients with those numbers do not have cf and we were blown off. Finally after a year, we have an appointment at another cf clinic for further testing. Don't give up. I intend to keep pushing until I know one way or the other.