Switching from formula to whole milk

07chris07

I have a question if anyone could help would be great. How do I get my now 13 month old son to drink whole milk? since he came home from the hospital when he was about 4 months old, he has been on fortified formula. awhile back he started to not want to drink the formula at all from the bottle. So we were feeding him the baby cereal with the formula mixed in. Now he only eats the baby cereal in the morning, so we mix it with the whole milk. We have tried giving him the whole milk in a bottle but when we do, he takes a sip then looks at the color of whats inside and tosses it. Now the only things he drinks is water and apple juice watered down.I'm worried that he is not getting enough nutrition and enough calories with out drinking milk.I plan to bring this up to the doctors at our next cf clinic but that is not till mid August. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help make this transition any easier?

Any ideas would be great:)

Christine

07chris07

I have a question if anyone could help would be great. How do I get my now 13 month old son to drink whole milk? since he came home from the hospital when he was about 4 months old, he has been on fortified formula. awhile back he started to not want to drink the formula at all from the bottle. So we were feeding him the baby cereal with the formula mixed in. Now he only eats the baby cereal in the morning, so we mix it with the whole milk. We have tried giving him the whole milk in a bottle but when we do, he takes a sip then looks at the color of whats inside and tosses it. Now the only things he drinks is water and apple juice watered down.I'm worried that he is not getting enough nutrition and enough calories with out drinking milk.I plan to bring this up to the doctors at our next cf clinic but that is not till mid August. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help make this transition any easier?

Christine

07chris07

Christine

07chris07

Christine

07chris07

<br />
<br />Any ideas would be great:)
<br />
<br />Christine

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I kept DS on formula until he was about 16 months old 'cuz he just wouldn't drink whole milk and then we switched to carnation instant breakfast. IMO, I'd call the clinic and ask for some feedback.

Also, are you able to get your child to drink from a straw. He didn't like sippy cups at first, so I used cups with lids and straws. Actually I still do (so he doesn't spill).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I kept DS on formula until he was about 16 months old 'cuz he just wouldn't drink whole milk and then we switched to carnation instant breakfast. IMO, I'd call the clinic and ask for some feedback.

Also, are you able to get your child to drink from a straw. He didn't like sippy cups at first, so I used cups with lids and straws. Actually I still do (so he doesn't spill).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Also, are you able to get your child to drink from a straw. He didn't like sippy cups at first, so I used cups with lids and straws. Actually I still do (so he doesn't spill).

mariahsmommy

My daughters nutrionist suggested switching to a drink like pediasure when she is at least 18 pounds because of the amount of protein. It is concentrated to thirty calorie already. I am going to use an organic brand called pediasmart because it uses coconut oil as a fat source which I think is great for cf. I currently use the infant formula made by the same company and it has helped my dd gain a lot of weight. If your interested its made by Natures One and you can go to naturesone.com. And also a lot of people seem to think that dairy could possibly thicken mucus which I don't know if it is true or not. We kind of avoided this mainly because Mariah is lactose intolerant. I hope you find something he will drink.

mariahsmommy

My daughters nutrionist suggested switching to a drink like pediasure when she is at least 18 pounds because of the amount of protein. It is concentrated to thirty calorie already. I am going to use an organic brand called pediasmart because it uses coconut oil as a fat source which I think is great for cf. I currently use the infant formula made by the same company and it has helped my dd gain a lot of weight. If your interested its made by Natures One and you can go to naturesone.com. And also a lot of people seem to think that dairy could possibly thicken mucus which I don't know if it is true or not. We kind of avoided this mainly because Mariah is lactose intolerant. I hope you find something he will drink.

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy

mariahsmommy

07chris07

Thanks Ratatosk and Mariahsmommy for the help. I'm going to see Hayden's local CF doctor this week so I will ask him for some in put on the subject. Also I'll ask him about the Pediasure thing as it seems like that might be a solution to the problem.

07chris07

Thanks Ratatosk and Mariahsmommy for the help. I'm going to see Hayden's local CF doctor this week so I will ask him for some in put on the subject. Also I'll ask him about the Pediasure thing as it seems like that might be a solution to the problem.

07chris07

07chris07

07chris07