technical colistin question

chonkie

hi all. just thought Id introduce myself before I ask the the big question. I am 23 years old with cystic fibrosis, diabetes and liver cyrosis. So far I have lived a very health life and never had a real problem with infections until now.

About a month ago I come off a course of 3 weeks of cipro IV's and co-trimoxozole (bactrim) to treat a really resistant strain of pseudo; and it seemed to be in control. But then I caught a real nasty flu bug and so the resistant pseudo flare up again.So back to hospital to treat the pseudo But this time I was getting really nasty bronchial spasms. and this is very new for me. So they checked my iGe levels, which were 33 (low) and did a CT-lung scan and came to the conclusion that I dont have abpa. they also put me on hydrocortisone. So my lung infection and liver function got worst and the cipro was showing up intermediate effectivness, so they put me on colistin IV instead. for 3 weeks ( which is a first) the lung infection is stabilizing really well but the bronchial spasms are still pretty much on and off. I have nebulised colistin for about 2 years now with no problem; but have read that it could create bronchial spasms. I guess I am just a little paranoid about the spasm cos its so new...I have some really good doctors looking after me, but colistin is very new in our country...if anyone could give me some closure...that would be great..thx guys.

chonkie

hi all. just thought Id introduce myself before I ask the the big question. I am 23 years old with cystic fibrosis, diabetes and liver cyrosis. So far I have lived a very health life and never had a real problem with infections until now.

About a month ago I come off a course of 3 weeks of cipro IV's and co-trimoxozole (bactrim) to treat a really resistant strain of pseudo; and it seemed to be in control. But then I caught a real nasty flu bug and so the resistant pseudo flare up again.So back to hospital to treat the pseudo But this time I was getting really nasty bronchial spasms. and this is very new for me. So they checked my iGe levels, which were 33 (low) and did a CT-lung scan and came to the conclusion that I dont have abpa. they also put me on hydrocortisone. So my lung infection and liver function got worst and the cipro was showing up intermediate effectivness, so they put me on colistin IV instead. for 3 weeks ( which is a first) the lung infection is stabilizing really well but the bronchial spasms are still pretty much on and off. I have nebulised colistin for about 2 years now with no problem; but have read that it could create bronchial spasms. I guess I am just a little paranoid about the spasm cos its so new...I have some really good doctors looking after me, but colistin is very new in our country...if anyone could give me some closure...that would be great..thx guys.

chonkie

JazzysMom

I am very prone to bronchial spasm and have used colistin with no problems. I am assuming that you are using some type of bronchodialator like Albeuterol. This is very important to do before the colistin or any other med that might cause reactive airways. I have to use albeuterol, pulmicort and advair to control mine. Good Luck!

JazzysMom

I am very prone to bronchial spasm and have used colistin with no problems. I am assuming that you are using some type of bronchodialator like Albeuterol. This is very important to do before the colistin or any other med that might cause reactive airways. I have to use albeuterol, pulmicort and advair to control mine. Good Luck!

JazzysMom

chonkie

hi jazzysmom. I have never really use bronchodialator before, because I really havent had a problem with bronchial spasm or asthma before. I am on bronchodialator now while I am sick with this flu. The spasm come and go about twice a day. Im just pretty new to it and a little concerned.

chonkie

hi jazzysmom. I have never really use bronchodialator before, because I really havent had a problem with bronchial spasm or asthma before. I am on bronchodialator now while I am sick with this flu. The spasm come and go about twice a day. Im just pretty new to it and a little concerned.

chonkie

JazzysMom

Something else to help with spasms is to control your breathing. Slow, easy breathing to "relax" the muscles will help and if you are lucky enough to have someone give you a massage that might help. Massage therapy really helps with my reactive airways when they are at their worst. Your spasms should ease as you get the infection under control again, but its scary & quite frankly a royal pain when it prevents you from doing things.

JazzysMom

Something else to help with spasms is to control your breathing. Slow, easy breathing to "relax" the muscles will help and if you are lucky enough to have someone give you a massage that might help. Massage therapy really helps with my reactive airways when they are at their worst. Your spasms should ease as you get the infection under control again, but its scary & quite frankly a royal pain when it prevents you from doing things.

JazzysMom

chonkie

thanks jazzysmom...Ill def give that a try, sounds like good advice. Thanks so much for your time. =) looking forward to getting better.

chonkie

thanks jazzysmom...Ill def give that a try, sounds like good advice. Thanks so much for your time. =) looking forward to getting better.

chonkie

chonkie

Its like an intense tightening on your chest. you have to physically concentrate to breath. you basically have to sit down for a while to catch your breath.

chonkie

Its like an intense tightening on your chest. you have to physically concentrate to breath. you basically have to sit down for a while to catch your breath.