This might be a dumb question

Milly

So, obviously I have CF, but I havent had a genetic class in forever. In order for my kids to have CF doesnt my husband HAVE to be a carrier, and even then its only a 50% chance our kids will have CF? If hes not a carrier, then my kids have NO CHANCE Of having CF, right? But theyll be carriers?? this is that "punnet square" problem right? lol. Dont worry, im not going to have kids based off what you say, we're scheduling an appointment with a genetic counselor at some point, Im just curious now.. hehe

Milly

So, obviously I have CF, but I havent had a genetic class in forever. In order for my kids to have CF doesnt my husband HAVE to be a carrier, and even then its only a 50% chance our kids will have CF? If hes not a carrier, then my kids have NO CHANCE Of having CF, right? But theyll be carriers?? this is that "punnet square" problem right? lol. Dont worry, im not going to have kids based off what you say, we're scheduling an appointment with a genetic counselor at some point, Im just curious now.. hehe

Milly

hmw

Yes, you are correct. Since CF is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner, the child has to inherit a mutated gene from BOTH parents.

It's vital for the partner of someone with CF to get the most comprehensive genetic testing available (i.e. Ambry Amplified w/ deletions & duplications) to be as certain as possible of their status in order to be able to make the most informed choice possible, of course. Some people will play the odds, others will not for many different reasons- but you can't make the best decision unless you know to the best of your ability what you are dealing with.

hmw

Yes, you are correct. Since CF is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner, the child has to inherit a mutated gene from BOTH parents.

It's vital for the partner of someone with CF to get the most comprehensive genetic testing available (i.e. Ambry Amplified w/ deletions & duplications) to be as certain as possible of their status in order to be able to make the most informed choice possible, of course. Some people will play the odds, others will not for many different reasons- but you can't make the best decision unless you know to the best of your ability what you are dealing with.

hmw

<br />
<br />It's vital for the partner of someone with CF to get the most comprehensive genetic testing available (i.e. Ambry Amplified w/ deletions & duplications) to be as certain as possible of their status in order to be able to make the most informed choice possible, of course. Some people will play the odds, others will not for many different reasons- but you can't make the best decision unless you know to the best of your ability what you are dealing with.

starstellar

If your husband has the cf gene the risk is not 50% more like 90%. But yes it's two genes make cf. One gene from mother equals carrier.

I have CF also and my daughter has the gene not the disease.

starstellar

If your husband has the cf gene the risk is not 50% more like 90%. But yes it's two genes make cf. One gene from mother equals carrier.

I have CF also and my daughter has the gene not the disease.

starstellar

<br />
<br />I have CF also and my daughter has the gene not the disease.

hmw

If someone has cf and has a baby with a carrier, the carrier has one cf gene and one healthy gene. It's a 50/50 chance whether the carrier will pass on the cf gene to the baby (thus resulting in the baby having cf.

hmw

If someone has cf and has a baby with a carrier, the carrier has one cf gene and one healthy gene. It's a 50/50 chance whether the carrier will pass on the cf gene to the baby (thus resulting in the baby having cf.

hmw

Giggles

If he is a carrier then it is 50% chance of having a baby with CF and 50% that it is a carrier. It is either one or other they will have it or be a carrier. If you do that square thing you can figure it out with cc x Cc . I was also always told if the husband was a carrier then the baby really has a great chance of having CF too.

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

If he is a carrier then it is 50% chance of having a baby with CF and 50% that it is a carrier. It is either one or other they will have it or be a carrier. If you do that square thing you can figure it out with cc x Cc . I was also always told if the husband was a carrier then the baby really has a great chance of having CF too.

Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

Giggles

<br />
<br />
<br />Jennifer 38 with CF and CFRD

petnurse

Harriett is right. If you do the square, the chances are 50% that your child would have CF...no greater. Good luck to you!

petnurse

Harriett is right. If you do the square, the chances are 50% that your child would have CF...no greater. Good luck to you!