tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy

tucksmama

My son is currently in the hospital for a CF exacerbation. He has been here for 9 days now and is doing some better.

At his last check up 3 months ago, we discussed with his doc about having his tonsils and adenoids out since he gets up frequently at night, snores some nights, is a mouth breather, and still wets the bed at night (he is almost 6 yrs. old), etc. His doctor said there have been no proven studies to say that having a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy reduces CF infections or not, but he was going to refer us to the ENT for a consultation. Before the consultation occured with the ENT, we ended up back in the hospital.

Well, the doc just came in to discuss with me about having the tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy done during this hospitalization, possibly a week from today. Reason being since he already has the PICC line in and his lungs are getting in "cleaned out". The doc is just concerned that Tucker has been in the hospital 3 times over the past year.

Just want to know what everyones input is on getting this done. Do you think it is a good idea and would be beneficial, or do you think I should wait? Thanks for your help.

tucksmama

My son is currently in the hospital for a CF exacerbation. He has been here for 9 days now and is doing some better.

At his last check up 3 months ago, we discussed with his doc about having his tonsils and adenoids out since he gets up frequently at night, snores some nights, is a mouth breather, and still wets the bed at night (he is almost 6 yrs. old), etc. His doctor said there have been no proven studies to say that having a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy reduces CF infections or not, but he was going to refer us to the ENT for a consultation. Before the consultation occured with the ENT, we ended up back in the hospital.

Well, the doc just came in to discuss with me about having the tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy done during this hospitalization, possibly a week from today. Reason being since he already has the PICC line in and his lungs are getting in "cleaned out". The doc is just concerned that Tucker has been in the hospital 3 times over the past year.

Just want to know what everyones input is on getting this done. Do you think it is a good idea and would be beneficial, or do you think I should wait? Thanks for your help.

tucksmama

tucksmama

tucksmama

Alyssa

Geeze, what a tough spot -- so was it the ENT that came in to discuss doing it now or was that the CF doc?

I don't have any great advice - other than to say discuss it with both doctors and decide from there - I agree with the getting it done now while he's there option, (if you decide to do it) but I would be undecided as to whether or not the surgery should happen at all until I gathered more info -- the hard thing is I don't think you are going to find much in the way of proof on this one - you will likely have to make your decision based on the two doctor's experience and opinions.

I guess you can look at it as there being a chance of it making things better if you do it and, (other than having to go through the surgery and recovery) there wouldn't be a down side, so I guess you'll never know if it would help unless you try it.

I feel for you -- nothing I would want to have to decide either!

Best wishes

Alyssa

Geeze, what a tough spot -- so was it the ENT that came in to discuss doing it now or was that the CF doc?

I don't have any great advice - other than to say discuss it with both doctors and decide from there - I agree with the getting it done now while he's there option, (if you decide to do it) but I would be undecided as to whether or not the surgery should happen at all until I gathered more info -- the hard thing is I don't think you are going to find much in the way of proof on this one - you will likely have to make your decision based on the two doctor's experience and opinions.

I guess you can look at it as there being a chance of it making things better if you do it and, (other than having to go through the surgery and recovery) there wouldn't be a down side, so I guess you'll never know if it would help unless you try it.

Best wishes

Alyssa

Best wishes

Alyssa

Best wishes

Alyssa

Best wishes

AnD

It is a good time to go ahead and get it over with if it needs done, but I would first make sure that the ENT and the CF doctors are on the same page about it. If his adnoids/tonsils are giving him sleeping problems, then he may do better if he gets some good, quality sleep too. I would also ask about what your options are for helping the snoring, etc. I will be praying for you!

AnD

It is a good time to go ahead and get it over with if it needs done, but I would first make sure that the ENT and the CF doctors are on the same page about it. If his adnoids/tonsils are giving him sleeping problems, then he may do better if he gets some good, quality sleep too. I would also ask about what your options are for helping the snoring, etc. I will be praying for you!

AnD

AnD

AnD

mom4holly

My daughter also had her tonsils & adenoids out by "surprise" when we were in the hospital for an infection on IV abx last year. They did hers because she was a mouth breather & she also had severly infection adenoids & polyps so they said they wanted to get it all taken care of at once.

my daughter had however been to an ENT several times before this & it had been discussed prior as a need but she was too infected to get it done.

i hope it works out. It's an easy surgery really-she was only gone for 25 minutes

mom4holly

My daughter also had her tonsils & adenoids out by "surprise" when we were in the hospital for an infection on IV abx last year. They did hers because she was a mouth breather & she also had severly infection adenoids & polyps so they said they wanted to get it all taken care of at once.

my daughter had however been to an ENT several times before this & it had been discussed prior as a need but she was too infected to get it done.

i hope it works out. It's an easy surgery really-she was only gone for 25 minutes

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly