Transplant and working with animals

baco623

I had a double lung transplant 2 years ago this September 3rd. I have been doing really well since my transplant only a few minor complications. I am 26 years old and still in college pursuing a double degree in Anthropology and History however I am coming to realize that even though I will have two degrees they don't exactly lead me down much of a career path therefore I am looking for something new...and I think I have found it. After I graduate with my two degrees at the end of June 2013 I want to go back to school to become a veteranary technician. I have always loved animals much more than people and I think it would be a great way to spend the rest of my life, helping animals.

My question is, what has everyones doctor said about working with animals? I have heard mixed messages about working with cats, but I figured if I wear a mask while I work it will be okay. Please any advise/information would be greatly appreciated. Sending my love and appreciation to anyone and everyone and I appreciate you taking time to read my post.

Annie

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Annie,
this is probably a stupid question, but don't animals get the same "illnesses" as people and thus it would be a concern? another idea, though, have you considered maybe switching your studies/adding some classes so you would be really marketable to a non-profit related to animals and doing more behind the scenes things like marketing, public relations, fundraising, etc. Maybe even a zoo? PM me if you want to "chat" about some ideas along those lines.

baco623

Aboveallislove,

I'm not totally sure about the whole illness spreading to animals thing, I used to volunteer at the Marine Mammel Center before my transplant and it was never a problem there. The problem with my schooling is I've unfortunately put myself on a track that I can't get off of. I have one year left and I have to take very specific classes to get my degrees. Thats why I am going to go back to junior college after I graduate to try and get some better experience.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Annie,
Makes sense. I guess, I'd speak with the transplant team to get all the info you can. It would seem there would be some issues given what animals can carry. But with a good liberal arts degree like you have, you might be able to find something you love at the Marine Mammal Center or something similar that is more behind the scenes and uses your liberal arts talens and your love of animals. If you decide on the later and want to brainstorm/help with search, let me know. But it might be the transplant team sees no issues. Good luck!

R

Red9928

Annie,
I am glad to hear you have been doing so well post transplant! I am not post transplant, but once had a sputum sample culture for Bordetella Brochiseptica (aka Kennel Cough)! Had everyone a little stumped (I don't have a dog, but do have cats, and don't work in a setting with animals). Luckily it didn't show up again nor did it cause any particular difficulty. Definately talk with the transplant team....Good luck, and hope you are able to realize your dream of working with animals...I have volunteered in mulitiple settings with animals in the past and found it amazingly rewarding...and never cultured anything weird at those times.

cftransplant

baco 623

Bad choice for future employment for a number of reasons. Cats and birds are a serious issue. Go take a course in microbiology, than the very interesting course in parasitology, these will answer your questions. Talk to several TX pulmonologists.

Cbegley

My husbands transplant doctor told us to never have a cat, because there is something they can carry in their feces they can severely hurt someone whose has a transplant. You would have to wash your hands if you did come in contact with an animal and he even said you shouldn't really even be near a cat. I would consider something else, but you can ask your own team and see what they say.

cftransplant

Grendel

Duke for one center, in the past. This is not hard information to find on the web. Cats have bacteria and parasites that are a serious risk. Keep them off the bed, wash your hands, and good luck, have someone else clean the litter box or wear a respirator. I have dogs, had dogs prior to, during and post TX. I pay attention, they do not sleep on the bed. I have two large dogs, three at the time of TX. Check Toxoplasmosis for one risk.

CF 62 cepacia TX 12 plus years

keefer11

I wouldn't recommend working as a vet tech, as even though I haven't had a transplant, at work I am exposed to cats & cat litter occasionally and it makes me cough and I feel more congested afterwards. I've been told litter isn't good for CF-ers to be around. I've also heard the same things as Cftransplant that you shouldn't be around cat feces post-transplant.

But Annie, I feel your pain. I'd LOVE to work as a vet tech. I got my current job to try and figure out if being a vet tech is the career I wanted to pursue, but after occasional exposure to cat litter/cats and it's effects on me, I have decided it wouldn't be best for my health. Maybe try and get a job in the animal field but not working directly with the animals.