Two lobes clogged with mucus...docs don't know why? Anyone else have this?

beckygpa

My daughter, who is 12, just got a bronchoscopy after her CatScan showed that her lingula and her lower left lobe are totally clogged with thick, thick mucus. She was in the hospital last Nov 2008 and had a bronch that then collapsed her lung--and there was difficulty getting it back up. While they were in there, they pulled out three plugs of mucus and said her lingula looks UGLY...not well....and they tried to take it out. It was complicated so they did not.

Her pft's are way down now (in the 60's) and after they did the catscan, they said that two of her lobes are totally clogged and the top right lung had a little mucus in it, which they said was normal.

The culture has been growing now for two days and nothing. NOt a trace of anything. The docs are perplexed. Has this happened to anyone else? Any knowledge or guidance would be appreciated.

thanks, becky

beckygpa

My daughter, who is 12, just got a bronchoscopy after her CatScan showed that her lingula and her lower left lobe are totally clogged with thick, thick mucus. She was in the hospital last Nov 2008 and had a bronch that then collapsed her lung--and there was difficulty getting it back up. While they were in there, they pulled out three plugs of mucus and said her lingula looks UGLY...not well....and they tried to take it out. It was complicated so they did not.

Her pft's are way down now (in the 60's) and after they did the catscan, they said that two of her lobes are totally clogged and the top right lung had a little mucus in it, which they said was normal.

The culture has been growing now for two days and nothing. NOt a trace of anything. The docs are perplexed. Has this happened to anyone else? Any knowledge or guidance would be appreciated.

thanks, becky

beckygpa

<br />
<br />Her pft's are way down now (in the 60's) and after they did the catscan, they said that two of her lobes are totally clogged and the top right lung had a little mucus in it, which they said was normal.
<br />
<br />The culture has been growing now for two days and nothing. NOt a trace of anything. The docs are perplexed. Has this happened to anyone else? Any knowledge or guidance would be appreciated.
<br />
<br />thanks, becky

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
What types of inhaled meds or chest physiotherapy is she on? Hypertonic saline and pulmozyme could help to clear some of that junk out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
What types of inhaled meds or chest physiotherapy is she on? Hypertonic saline and pulmozyme could help to clear some of that junk out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

beckygpa

She just started hypertonic saline and has been on pulmyzyne for at least three years...that is why this is so scary....she does the vest twice a day for 30 minutes each and more when she is starting to catch a cold, etc.

beckygpa

She just started hypertonic saline and has been on pulmyzyne for at least three years...that is why this is so scary....she does the vest twice a day for 30 minutes each and more when she is starting to catch a cold, etc.

beckygpa

beckygpa

They did find a fungus in Nov 2008...and the docs did say that it did take a while for it to grow...but when they went to treat it last time, she threw up. I think they o'ded her with all her meds but it was violent throwing up. Then they stopped the meds...but we never revisited it...until now.

beckygpa

They did find a fungus in Nov 2008...and the docs did say that it did take a while for it to grow...but when they went to treat it last time, she threw up. I think they o'ded her with all her meds but it was violent throwing up. Then they stopped the meds...but we never revisited it...until now.

beckygpa

crazycurly92

Bronchoscopys are tricky procedures. Ive had so many i cant count any more but some have resulted in extensive bleeding and bringing infections into my lungs. Sometimes they hurt more than help but I would definitely up her treatments, do as many as you can a day. If they hospitalize her that is what they would do anyways so its good to get a head start. Do 4-5 treatments a day- its hard but its worth it. I think with cultures fungus' can take up to a week or so to grow so maybe it could be a type of fungus causing all of this gunk.. I hope they figure it out!! Yall are in my thoughts!

Ashley- 18 w/ cf

crazycurly92

Bronchoscopys are tricky procedures. Ive had so many i cant count any more but some have resulted in extensive bleeding and bringing infections into my lungs. Sometimes they hurt more than help but I would definitely up her treatments, do as many as you can a day. If they hospitalize her that is what they would do anyways so its good to get a head start. Do 4-5 treatments a day- its hard but its worth it. I think with cultures fungus' can take up to a week or so to grow so maybe it could be a type of fungus causing all of this gunk.. I hope they figure it out!! Yall are in my thoughts!

Ashley- 18 w/ cf

crazycurly92

<br />
<br />Ashley- 18 w/ cf

beckygpa

beckygpa

beckygpa

beckygpa

Thanks for replying everyone...as a mom, i'm just scared. Those bronchs are tricky for sure. Risk vs. reward I guess. Hope you stay well Ashley...

beckygpa

Thanks for replying everyone...as a mom, i'm just scared. Those bronchs are tricky for sure. Risk vs. reward I guess. Hope you stay well Ashley...