Ultrase capsules half full?

jollybaby

Hi Everyone,
This is my first visit to this website, but after reading all of the good advice it certainly won't be my last. My son w/cf is 4 months old and I give him the ultrase capsules. For the first few prescriptions, all of the capsules were very full to where some of the pellets would just about fall out when I opened them. However, the last few capsule refills I rec'd the capsules were only half full. This was very disconcerting to me esp since he has gone from 1 cap to 1.5 caps, and is now supposed to receive 2 before each feeding. I brought this up to our dietician, but she said she has never encountered this before. She spoke with the sales rep and he said that was normal. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks in advance!!

jollybaby

Hi Everyone,
This is my first visit to this website, but after reading all of the good advice it certainly won't be my last. My son w/cf is 4 months old and I give him the ultrase capsules. For the first few prescriptions, all of the capsules were very full to where some of the pellets would just about fall out when I opened them. However, the last few capsule refills I rec'd the capsules were only half full. This was very disconcerting to me esp since he has gone from 1 cap to 1.5 caps, and is now supposed to receive 2 before each feeding. I brought this up to our dietician, but she said she has never encountered this before. She spoke with the sales rep and he said that was normal. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks in advance!!

jollybaby

Hi Everyone,

jollybaby

Hi Everyone,

jollybaby

Hi Everyone,
<br />This is my first visit to this website, but after reading all of the good advice it certainly won't be my last. My son w/cf is 4 months old and I give him the ultrase capsules. For the first few prescriptions, all of the capsules were very full to where some of the pellets would just about fall out when I opened them. However, the last few capsule refills I rec'd the capsules were only half full. This was very disconcerting to me esp since he has gone from 1 cap to 1.5 caps, and is now supposed to receive 2 before each feeding. I brought this up to our dietician, but she said she has never encountered this before. She spoke with the sales rep and he said that was normal. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks in advance!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of generics being passed off as name brand -- the CFF Pharmacy site has actual photos of what your enzymes should look like. Here's the link

https://www.cfservicespharmacy.com/UploadedFiles/HomeLine/Winter%202007.pdf

When DS was a baby I knew exactly how many beads were in one capsule of pancrease MT 4s because he usually took 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 capsules per bottle. I want to say for each capsule in that brand half was 6 or 7 beads.

I've also heard of cases were the beads were discolored, maybe got old or exposed to heat and weren't working properly.

IMO, I'd see if the dietician or hospital pharmacist can get a sample of one to compare with. I would think you would know for sure how much was there. Have they changed the formula yet on that brand. I know creon was reformulated and approved by the FDA. I know with FDA requirements, enzymes were supposed to be reformulated for consistency.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of generics being passed off as name brand -- the CFF Pharmacy site has actual photos of what your enzymes should look like. Here's the link

When DS was a baby I knew exactly how many beads were in one capsule of pancrease MT 4s because he usually took 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 capsules per bottle. I want to say for each capsule in that brand half was 6 or 7 beads.

I've also heard of cases were the beads were discolored, maybe got old or exposed to heat and weren't working properly.

IMO, I'd see if the dietician or hospital pharmacist can get a sample of one to compare with. I would think you would know for sure how much was there. Have they changed the formula yet on that brand. I know creon was reformulated and approved by the FDA. I know with FDA requirements, enzymes were supposed to be reformulated for consistency.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />https://www.cfservicespharmacy.com/UploadedFiles/HomeLine/Winter%202007.pdf
<br />
<br />When DS was a baby I knew exactly how many beads were in one capsule of pancrease MT 4s because he usually took 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 capsules per bottle. I want to say for each capsule in that brand half was 6 or 7 beads.
<br />
<br />I've also heard of cases were the beads were discolored, maybe got old or exposed to heat and weren't working properly.
<br />
<br />IMO, I'd see if the dietician or hospital pharmacist can get a sample of one to compare with. I would think you would know for sure how much was there. Have they changed the formula yet on that brand. I know creon was reformulated and approved by the FDA. I know with FDA requirements, enzymes were supposed to be reformulated for consistency.

NancyLKF

This EXACT thing happened to us. I noticed the newer capsules were half full. I went to the hospital pharmacy and the pharmacist spoke with the Ultrase manufacturer and we straightened it all out. They are from a different source (animal). If you compare the beads they are different in color as well. They are just as potent. It freaked me out when it happened but maggie never had any problems. the next round of ultrase were full capsules again but every once in a while an order of them were half the amount but darker in color.

NancyLKF

This EXACT thing happened to us. I noticed the newer capsules were half full. I went to the hospital pharmacy and the pharmacist spoke with the Ultrase manufacturer and we straightened it all out. They are from a different source (animal). If you compare the beads they are different in color as well. They are just as potent. It freaked me out when it happened but maggie never had any problems. the next round of ultrase were full capsules again but every once in a while an order of them were half the amount but darker in color.

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

NancyLKF