University of Minnesota Questions for those who have had inpatient stays

hopeforever5583

I am heading up for my first tuneup at Univ. of Minnesota (which is 8 hours driving distance for me but so worth it)and have a few questions for those who have stayed:

1) Do they have fans for those who need them to sleep?
2) Do they confine you to your room or are you allowed to go out with a mask?
3) Do they make you stay the whole duration or allow for home ivs?
4) How well do you like the inpatient care?
5) How is the food?
6) Do you have to order your food the night before or can you order anything you want all day?
7) Do rooms have acess to internet connection if I bring a laptop?
8) How friendly are the staff?

Thanks so much!

hopeforever5583

I am heading up for my first tuneup at Univ. of Minnesota (which is 8 hours driving distance for me but so worth it)and have a few questions for those who have stayed:

5) How is the food?
6) Do you have to order your food the night before or can you order anything you want all day?

Thanks so much!

hopeforever5583

5) How is the food?

Thanks so much!

hopeforever5583

5) How is the food?

Thanks so much!

hopeforever5583

<br />
<br />1) Do they have fans for those who need them to sleep?
<br />2) Do they confine you to your room or are you allowed to go out with a mask?
<br />3) Do they make you stay the whole duration or allow for home ivs?
<br />4) How well do you like the inpatient care?
<br />5) How is the food?
<br />6) Do you have to order your food the night before or can you order anything you want all day?
<br />7) Do rooms have acess to internet connection if I bring a laptop?
<br />8) How friendly are the staff?
<br />
<br />Thanks so much!

jonflath

1. I had an oscillating fan in my room, but I never used it.
2. I could walk around whenever I wanted whether it was throughout the hospital or outside, though now it's getting cold up here so maybe you wont want to go outside. They will probably have you walk on a treadmill.
3. For me it was usually a week in the hospital and then home on IV's. There was a time when they put it in the picc line and then I just went home and did them at home without a hospital stay. Not to scare you, but they use IV's longer than most centers.
4. The inpatient care is good, I only have one other place to compare it to, and it was better than there.
5,6. The food is pretty decent. You order off a menu whenever you want and it's usually to your room within an hour. I think you can't order after 8, but there is a fridge the nurses can put stuff in if you order extra. I would recommend setting up a schedule for breakfast so they don't call and wake you up in the morning.
7. THey have wireless internet, It only works with internet explorer, so if you have a mac there is a good chance it won't work for some reason, unless you are running bootcamp and can boot into windows.
8. The staff is great, I had a problem with a nurse, but overall no complaints, they are friendly and take care of you well.

jonflath

2. I could walk around whenever I wanted whether it was throughout the hospital or outside, though now it's getting cold up here so maybe you wont want to go outside. They will probably have you walk on a treadmill.
3. For me it was usually a week in the hospital and then home on IV's. There was a time when they put it in the picc line and then I just went home and did them at home without a hospital stay. Not to scare you, but they use IV's longer than most centers.
4. The inpatient care is good, I only have one other place to compare it to, and it was better than there.
5,6. The food is pretty decent. You order off a menu whenever you want and it's usually to your room within an hour. I think you can't order after 8, but there is a fridge the nurses can put stuff in if you order extra. I would recommend setting up a schedule for breakfast so they don't call and wake you up in the morning.
7. THey have wireless internet, It only works with internet explorer, so if you have a mac there is a good chance it won't work for some reason, unless you are running bootcamp and can boot into windows.
8. The staff is great, I had a problem with a nurse, but overall no complaints, they are friendly and take care of you well.

jonflath

jonflath

jonflath

<br />2. I could walk around whenever I wanted whether it was throughout the hospital or outside, though now it's getting cold up here so maybe you wont want to go outside. They will probably have you walk on a treadmill.
<br />3. For me it was usually a week in the hospital and then home on IV's. There was a time when they put it in the picc line and then I just went home and did them at home without a hospital stay. Not to scare you, but they use IV's longer than most centers.
<br />4. The inpatient care is good, I only have one other place to compare it to, and it was better than there.
<br />5,6. The food is pretty decent. You order off a menu whenever you want and it's usually to your room within an hour. I think you can't order after 8, but there is a fridge the nurses can put stuff in if you order extra. I would recommend setting up a schedule for breakfast so they don't call and wake you up in the morning.
<br />7. THey have wireless internet, It only works with internet explorer, so if you have a mac there is a good chance it won't work for some reason, unless you are running bootcamp and can boot into windows.
<br />8. The staff is great, I had a problem with a nurse, but overall no complaints, they are friendly and take care of you well.

A

alluneedislove

1. you have to request a fan but they will get u one.
2. If u culture for MRSA they will want you to have a mask and stuff on, but they want you to move around.
3. one week and they will let you go home on a picc line if u need it which im sure you will.
4. I thought the nurse's sucked they didn't know what they were doing. One nursed asked if she needed to flush my picc with heprin or saline.....i freaked out! They would forget to tell me when i had other appts and were late with everything! I was also pregnant when i was there and hated every second!
5.The food is good!
6. You can order food whenever you want. Which is great.
7. Yes you can have internet access but you cant get on facebook and myspace and stuff like that. It's dumb!
8. The Doctor's are good, but the older nurse's are crabby and think things need to be done a certain way, and the young ones are eager to learn but don't know much.

Sorry for all the negativity but i wanted to be honest. I hope you have a much better stay then i did. I usually doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester which doesn't get any better than that!!

A

alluneedislove

2. If u culture for MRSA they will want you to have a mask and stuff on, but they want you to move around.
3. one week and they will let you go home on a picc line if u need it which im sure you will.
4. I thought the nurse's sucked they didn't know what they were doing. One nursed asked if she needed to flush my picc with heprin or saline.....i freaked out! They would forget to tell me when i had other appts and were late with everything! I was also pregnant when i was there and hated every second!
5.The food is good!
7. Yes you can have internet access but you cant get on facebook and myspace and stuff like that. It's dumb!
8. The Doctor's are good, but the older nurse's are crabby and think things need to be done a certain way, and the young ones are eager to learn but don't know much.

Sorry for all the negativity but i wanted to be honest. I hope you have a much better stay then i did. I usually doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester which doesn't get any better than that!!

A

alluneedislove

5.The food is good!

A

alluneedislove

5.The food is good!

A

alluneedislove

<br />2. If u culture for MRSA they will want you to have a mask and stuff on, but they want you to move around.
<br />3. one week and they will let you go home on a picc line if u need it which im sure you will.
<br />4. I thought the nurse's sucked they didn't know what they were doing. One nursed asked if she needed to flush my picc with heprin or saline.....i freaked out! They would forget to tell me when i had other appts and were late with everything! I was also pregnant when i was there and hated every second!
<br />5.The food is good!
<br />6. You can order food whenever you want. Which is great.
<br />7. Yes you can have internet access but you cant get on facebook and myspace and stuff like that. It's dumb!
<br />8. The Doctor's are good, but the older nurse's are crabby and think things need to be done a certain way, and the young ones are eager to learn but don't know much.
<br />
<br />Sorry for all the negativity but i wanted to be honest. I hope you have a much better stay then i did. I usually doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester which doesn't get any better than that!!