using oxygen

ej0820

hey all!

I got a humidifier bottle for my oxygen concentrator a few weeks ago because the O2 was drying my nose out so badly. I also tried Ayr, the saline gel for sinuses and that stuff burned the inside of my nose horribly. I have yet to notice a difference at all with the humidifier and I've been using it for weeks now. My nose is soooo dry and sooo irritated. I've been sleeping without my oxygen lately because it hurts my nose so much (I only wear it at night). Does anyone have any other suggestions?? I cant tell you how many mornings I wake up with a bloody, scabby nose because of the oxygen. I feel like I'm the only person in the world having such a big problem with using oxygen. I use saline flushes (always have) and use flonase, too (I know that isn't supposed to moisturize). Is there anything else that could help? Can I put saline in the humidifier,? lol.

thanks.

ej0820

hey all!

I got a humidifier bottle for my oxygen concentrator a few weeks ago because the O2 was drying my nose out so badly. I also tried Ayr, the saline gel for sinuses and that stuff burned the inside of my nose horribly. I have yet to notice a difference at all with the humidifier and I've been using it for weeks now. My nose is soooo dry and sooo irritated. I've been sleeping without my oxygen lately because it hurts my nose so much (I only wear it at night). Does anyone have any other suggestions?? I cant tell you how many mornings I wake up with a bloody, scabby nose because of the oxygen. I feel like I'm the only person in the world having such a big problem with using oxygen. I use saline flushes (always have) and use flonase, too (I know that isn't supposed to moisturize). Is there anything else that could help? Can I put saline in the humidifier,? lol.

thanks.

ej0820

hey all!
<br />
<br />
<br />I got a humidifier bottle for my oxygen concentrator a few weeks ago because the O2 was drying my nose out so badly. I also tried Ayr, the saline gel for sinuses and that stuff burned the inside of my nose horribly. I have yet to notice a difference at all with the humidifier and I've been using it for weeks now. My nose is soooo dry and sooo irritated. I've been sleeping without my oxygen lately because it hurts my nose so much (I only wear it at night). Does anyone have any other suggestions?? I cant tell you how many mornings I wake up with a bloody, scabby nose because of the oxygen. I feel like I'm the only person in the world having such a big problem with using oxygen. I use saline flushes (always have) and use flonase, too (I know that isn't supposed to moisturize). Is there anything else that could help? Can I put saline in the humidifier,? lol.
<br />
<br />thanks.

PepperKitty

You are not alone! Neither the humidifier cup, nor Ayr gel has helped me! I was hoping they would work better for you! I need to use oxygen 24/7, but mostly only use it at night because of dryness & irritation! It drives me crazy! I'm always having to chose between my lungs & my sinuses! My nose is usually bloody in the morning. No matter what I do my sinuses are always irritated, but are worse in the morning for about 2 hours.

Do you live in a dry state? I live in Utah, the 2nd dryest state in the nation. Humidity is always low with out oxygen drying out my nose also!

I've been using O2 since age 19, but still have a lot of problems with it.

PepperKitty

You are not alone! Neither the humidifier cup, nor Ayr gel has helped me! I was hoping they would work better for you! I need to use oxygen 24/7, but mostly only use it at night because of dryness & irritation! It drives me crazy! I'm always having to chose between my lungs & my sinuses! My nose is usually bloody in the morning. No matter what I do my sinuses are always irritated, but are worse in the morning for about 2 hours.

Do you live in a dry state? I live in Utah, the 2nd dryest state in the nation. Humidity is always low with out oxygen drying out my nose also!

I've been using O2 since age 19, but still have a lot of problems with it.

PepperKitty

<br />
<br />Do you live in a dry state? I live in Utah, the 2nd dryest state in the nation. Humidity is always low with out oxygen drying out my nose also!
<br />
<br />I've been using O2 since age 19, but still have a lot of problems with it.

theLostMiler

ugh that sounds horrible...

I do notice the drier climate affects me and my oxygen use. When I am in S.F. in the hospital, its not as bad, i can actually keep the cannula in my nose.

At home, I kinda rest is on my upper lip so that the prongs are just barely hitting my nose. I've checked my sats and they seem to stay the same. The prongs just really irritate my nose.

theLostMiler

I do notice the drier climate affects me and my oxygen use. When I am in S.F. in the hospital, its not as bad, i can actually keep the cannula in my nose.

At home, I kinda rest is on my upper lip so that the prongs are just barely hitting my nose. I've checked my sats and they seem to stay the same. The prongs just really irritate my nose.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />I do notice the drier climate affects me and my oxygen use. When I am in S.F. in the hospital, its not as bad, i can actually keep the cannula in my nose.
<br />
<br />At home, I kinda rest is on my upper lip so that the prongs are just barely hitting my nose. I've checked my sats and they seem to stay the same. The prongs just really irritate my nose.

ej0820

I live in ohio. We've been having some pretty dry, cold weather. It gets pretty humid here though in the spring, and that makes it really hard for me to breathe...maybe it will help with the dryness in my nose though. I guess I'll just have to use the oxygen seasonally, lol.

ej0820

I live in ohio. We've been having some pretty dry, cold weather. It gets pretty humid here though in the spring, and that makes it really hard for me to breathe...maybe it will help with the dryness in my nose though. I guess I'll just have to use the oxygen seasonally, lol.

ej0820

stillkicking

Yep, same problem. I haven't found anything that works. I try to minimize my O2 use during the day, though that is getting harder and harder to do. I use it until I can't take the soreness then take a break for a few hours and use it again. Though at night, I just suffer through it. I hate the bloody noses. I'll wake up with blood all over my pillow, yuck! I even had my nose cauterized, ouch, to help with the irriation, didn't work one bit. Just a lot of pain for nothing. Good luck!

stillkicking

Yep, same problem. I haven't found anything that works. I try to minimize my O2 use during the day, though that is getting harder and harder to do. I use it until I can't take the soreness then take a break for a few hours and use it again. Though at night, I just suffer through it. I hate the bloody noses. I'll wake up with blood all over my pillow, yuck! I even had my nose cauterized, ouch, to help with the irriation, didn't work one bit. Just a lot of pain for nothing. Good luck!

stillkicking

theLostMiler

havoc,

for some reason my doc said not to use petroleum based products, but I have used vaseline and vicks when I have a cold and my nose hurts and is chapped, I put it on before bed then i put my cannula on, im not sure why I was told not to use that type of lube, just water based...

anyways, i use it and dont seem to notice a problem... so it might be a good thing to try.

theLostMiler

havoc,

for some reason my doc said not to use petroleum based products, but I have used vaseline and vicks when I have a cold and my nose hurts and is chapped, I put it on before bed then i put my cannula on, im not sure why I was told not to use that type of lube, just water based...

anyways, i use it and dont seem to notice a problem... so it might be a good thing to try.