Vacationing with CF and CFRD

ViviansMom

We are getting ready to go on vacation and will be flying out to Utah then driving up to WYO.. How does everyone handle meds and what not when going on vacation? I've been reading on the site of what can and can't be carried on to the plane, and we have one lay over that's a little over 2 hours so I'll have to give Vivian at least one treatment then, I was wondering if any of you knew if they had a special place to do that? We also have the old dino vest, so we aren't going to be able to take t with us I've not done percussion by hand in 5 years.

Also are there anyone living in WYO. with a CFer I was wonder how well they cope with the altitude and dryness.

ViviansMom

We are getting ready to go on vacation and will be flying out to Utah then driving up to WYO.. How does everyone handle meds and what not when going on vacation? I've been reading on the site of what can and can't be carried on to the plane, and we have one lay over that's a little over 2 hours so I'll have to give Vivian at least one treatment then, I was wondering if any of you knew if they had a special place to do that? We also have the old dino vest, so we aren't going to be able to take t with us I've not done percussion by hand in 5 years.

Also are there anyone living in WYO. with a CFer I was wonder how well they cope with the altitude and dryness.

ViviansMom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Everything -- meds, nebulizer, vest we carry on. It's medical equipment, so it doesn't count toward your allowable carry-on/luggage. I pack a small lunch box cooler with polarpac icepack (ones we get with tobi) with the drugs that need to be refrigerated, put everything else in baggies or clear make-up case with the labels on them, nebulizer & neb cups -- all fit in a backpack or tote.

As far as doing a treatment -- when we came back from mexico a year ago, we were hoping to be able to do a CPT treatment, but we got stuck in customs too long. But I figured we'd just find a quiet corner next to our boarding gate and do it there -- lots of plug ins everywhere.

When we've gone to colorado for vacation I make sure I apply sunscreen to DS often, carry water along every where and encourage him to drink, drink, drink. Haven't had issues yet with the changes in altitude -- we're all more tired, sob and thirstier than usual.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Everything -- meds, nebulizer, vest we carry on. It's medical equipment, so it doesn't count toward your allowable carry-on/luggage. I pack a small lunch box cooler with polarpac icepack (ones we get with tobi) with the drugs that need to be refrigerated, put everything else in baggies or clear make-up case with the labels on them, nebulizer & neb cups -- all fit in a backpack or tote.

As far as doing a treatment -- when we came back from mexico a year ago, we were hoping to be able to do a CPT treatment, but we got stuck in customs too long. But I figured we'd just find a quiet corner next to our boarding gate and do it there -- lots of plug ins everywhere.

When we've gone to colorado for vacation I make sure I apply sunscreen to DS often, carry water along every where and encourage him to drink, drink, drink. Haven't had issues yet with the changes in altitude -- we're all more tired, sob and thirstier than usual.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

janddburke

another suggestion, make sure you bring either the original containers for your meds or have your pharmacist print extra labels. airlines don't like seeing meds outside of their original containers.
Dr. notes explaining medical need for the vest and nebulizer also help smooth the way.

janddburke

another suggestion, make sure you bring either the original containers for your meds or have your pharmacist print extra labels. airlines don't like seeing meds outside of their original containers.
Dr. notes explaining medical need for the vest and nebulizer also help smooth the way.

janddburke