Viokase is not being made anymore

DannysMom

I just found out that Viokase is not being made anymore.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give Enzymes with night feedings?? His feeds go about 10 hours at night through his g/j tube...I just can not see how he will not malabsorb unless he gets enzymes every 2 hours.. viokase was great, just mix it in the formula...Why do they have to stop something that was working and making our lives a little easier...

DannysMom

I just found out that Viokase is not being made anymore.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give Enzymes with night feedings?? His feeds go about 10 hours at night through his g/j tube...I just can not see how he will not malabsorb unless he gets enzymes every 2 hours.. viokase was great, just mix it in the formula...Why do they have to stop something that was working and making our lives a little easier...

DannysMom

Jane

Digital opinion leader
No one seems to know why viokase was taken off the market. So far our doc hasn't given us an alternative. The best they can do is take enzymes before and after.

Doesn't seem enough -does it?

Jane

Digital opinion leader
No one seems to know why viokase was taken off the market. So far our doc hasn't given us an alternative. The best they can do is take enzymes before and after.

Doesn't seem enough -does it?

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />Doesn't seem enough -does it?
<br />
<br />

izemmom

Last I heard, it was only Viokase powder that was off the market. The tablets are still being made. We were instructed to crush the tablets into powder ourselves, and use as before. We had plenty of warning, so we "stockpiled" viokase powder, and we're still using it...though I think we're on our last bottle. Our clinic wrote the scrip for the tablets a few months ago. So we have those on hand, too, and will begin crushing (with a crusher provided by the clinic) soon.

Has anyone who is doing this already had problems with the pill-turned-powder gumming up their tubing because of the binding agent used to make the tablets? I'm worried about that.

izemmom

Last I heard, it was only Viokase powder that was off the market. The tablets are still being made. We were instructed to crush the tablets into powder ourselves, and use as before. We had plenty of warning, so we "stockpiled" viokase powder, and we're still using it...though I think we're on our last bottle. Our clinic wrote the scrip for the tablets a few months ago. So we have those on hand, too, and will begin crushing (with a crusher provided by the clinic) soon.

Has anyone who is doing this already had problems with the pill-turned-powder gumming up their tubing because of the binding agent used to make the tablets? I'm worried about that.

izemmom

<br />
<br />Has anyone who is doing this already had problems with the pill-turned-powder gumming up their tubing because of the binding agent used to make the tablets? I'm worried about that.

MaryamsMommy

Hi,
We also use Viokase for my daughters night feed. We have always used the pill form. We crush it and drop it in the feed midway through. She is on her pump 10-12 hours a night. I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued. We are in the club right now and will ask the GI doc about it when he makes his rounds which is any time now. For the pills we crush them fine then put them in 20cc of water first and shake or mix it like crazy. This is the best way I have found to keep it from clumping.

Karen
Mommy To Maryam 10 with CF in the club and waiting to go home maybe tomorrow!!!

MaryamsMommy

Hi,
We also use Viokase for my daughters night feed. We have always used the pill form. We crush it and drop it in the feed midway through. She is on her pump 10-12 hours a night. I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued. We are in the club right now and will ask the GI doc about it when he makes his rounds which is any time now. For the pills we crush them fine then put them in 20cc of water first and shake or mix it like crazy. This is the best way I have found to keep it from clumping.

Karen
Mommy To Maryam 10 with CF in the club and waiting to go home maybe tomorrow!!!

MaryamsMommy

Hi,
<br />We also use Viokase for my daughters night feed. We have always used the pill form. We crush it and drop it in the feed midway through. She is on her pump 10-12 hours a night. I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued. We are in the club right now and will ask the GI doc about it when he makes his rounds which is any time now. For the pills we crush them fine then put them in 20cc of water first and shake or mix it like crazy. This is the best way I have found to keep it from clumping.
<br />
<br />Karen
<br />Mommy To Maryam 10 with CF in the club and waiting to go home maybe tomorrow!!!

izemmom

Thanks, Karen! I'll keep the water trick in mind! I hope you get to go home tomorrow!!!! Prayers being said!

izemmom

Thanks, Karen! I'll keep the water trick in mind! I hope you get to go home tomorrow!!!! Prayers being said!

izemmom

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued.</end quote></div>
The pills aren't being discontinued. It's only the powder. The pills (along with Axcan's other enzyme, Ultrase) are still awaiting their FDA approval status. There will be a substantial delay, however, to this process for Viokase... the FDA refused a request to expedite Viokase's approval process and it won't be considered again until August 30, 2010.

updated information from Axcan regarding Ultrase & Viokase approval process:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.axcan.com/patient_product_qa.php?lang=1">Axcan Q&A; April 30th</a>

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued.</end quote>
The pills aren't being discontinued. It's only the powder. The pills (along with Axcan's other enzyme, Ultrase) are still awaiting their FDA approval status. There will be a substantial delay, however, to this process for Viokase... the FDA refused a request to expedite Viokase's approval process and it won't be considered again until August 30, 2010.

updated information from Axcan regarding Ultrase & Viokase approval process:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.axcan.com/patient_product_qa.php?lang=1">Axcan Q&A; April 30th</a>

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have not herd yet about the pills being discontinued.</end quote>
<br />The pills aren't being discontinued. It's only the powder. The pills (along with Axcan's other enzyme, Ultrase) are still awaiting their FDA approval status. There will be a substantial delay, however, to this process for Viokase... the FDA refused a request to expedite Viokase's approval process and it won't be considered again until August 30, 2010.
<br />
<br />updated information from Axcan regarding Ultrase & Viokase approval process:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.axcan.com/patient_product_qa.php?lang=1">Axcan Q&A; April 30th</a>
<br />

izemmom

But even after approval, there will no longer be powder, right?

And, didn't someone say something on here once that it was beign discontinued due to a machine used in the production process being put out of service?!?! Seems pretty ricidulous to me, but I could swear that's what I read! LOL!

izemmom

But even after approval, there will no longer be powder, right?

And, didn't someone say something on here once that it was beign discontinued due to a machine used in the production process being put out of service?!?! Seems pretty ricidulous to me, but I could swear that's what I read! LOL!