Were u on soc sec before transplant?

musclemania70

Were u on soc sec disability before transplant and if so,
When where you cut off from benefits after transplant? How did they find out u got a tx?
Thx!

athletixbc

The answer to that largely depends on where you live because every country and even some states and provinces have differing rules. In my case, my recovery went quite well, and my transplant doctors gave me the all-clear to start looking for work again approximately three and a half months post transplant. At that point my government assistance plan expected me to either seek employment or prove that I was retraining because I couldn't go back to my old line of work. Barring any complications with my new lungs in the meantime, my benefits will revert to medical services only (no income assistance), after six months of job search.

keefer11

My sister was on Disability before and after her transplant. She went to grad school post transplant and kept her disability until she got a full time job which was probably 3 years later. I'm pretty sure in California you keep your disability until you start to make over $1,000 a month, so you could even be working part time and still be on disability. That's why she had it for so long because she went to school first. I'm not sure the rules have changed as this was about 4 years ago.