What does your child culture?

chattyfamily

I am just wondering what other toddlers with CF are culturing for? My son was diagnosed at 11 months in February of this year. He has been culturing staph, but recently cultured staph AND hemophilus influenzae AND another something that they have not fully identified. We should have those results by next week. The culture was only taken last week at his regular clinic appt. His doctor said these are pretty normal things to culture, but I didn't think be would culture so many things this early. Please let me know what your experiences with your one year olds have been.
By the way, he was just put on Bactrim after a CT showed one of his sinuses filled with infection. This info combined with what they know he has cultured so far led dr. to prescribe the antibiotic. The CT was done because he fell on his face on the concrete Wed. night - long story, but that is what led to the drs. looking at his sinuses and finding out what he most recently cultured so they could get the sinus infection cleared up.
To sum up this rambling post, sorry, I just want to know if it is normal for him to be culturing all of this stuff so soon at only 1 yr of age. What is the earliest anyone has cutlured Pseudomonas? Could that be what this third unidentified culture could be?
Thanks.

chattyfamily

I am just wondering what other toddlers with CF are culturing for? My son was diagnosed at 11 months in February of this year. He has been culturing staph, but recently cultured staph AND hemophilus influenzae AND another something that they have not fully identified. We should have those results by next week. The culture was only taken last week at his regular clinic appt. His doctor said these are pretty normal things to culture, but I didn't think be would culture so many things this early. Please let me know what your experiences with your one year olds have been.
By the way, he was just put on Bactrim after a CT showed one of his sinuses filled with infection. This info combined with what they know he has cultured so far led dr. to prescribe the antibiotic. The CT was done because he fell on his face on the concrete Wed. night - long story, but that is what led to the drs. looking at his sinuses and finding out what he most recently cultured so they could get the sinus infection cleared up.
To sum up this rambling post, sorry, I just want to know if it is normal for him to be culturing all of this stuff so soon at only 1 yr of age. What is the earliest anyone has cutlured Pseudomonas? Could that be what this third unidentified culture could be?
Thanks.

chattyfamily

Thanks.

amber682

My son is almost 2 and 1/2. He has been culturing staph basically since diagnosis at 3 months old. Staph is really tricky, it's everywhere. And it's hard to know if the staph in the culture came from the lungs, mouth, throat, hands, or anywhere else. They never treat the staph at our clinic, unless it's causing trouble.

He cultured pseudomonas at around 6 months old, did a round of Tobi and an oral anti. and never cultured it again. I don't know if it's gone or lurking.

He started culturing stenotrophomonas maltophilia (actually pretty similar to pseudomonas) last summer, and has had it ever since. It is only treated when it's causing syptoms (usually Bactrim or Augmentin, sometimes orapred too).

I don't really know anything about H. influenzae, but I think it is one of the common bugs people with CF have. And a ton of people have staph. The doctors may be letting the culture they're unsure of grow a little longer, to better identify it. When my son first cultured stenotrophomonas they originally came in and said it looked like pseudomonas, because it's that type of bacteria. But after a few more days the final report came back with the steno.

Sorry so long, hope this helps some!

amber682

My son is almost 2 and 1/2. He has been culturing staph basically since diagnosis at 3 months old. Staph is really tricky, it's everywhere. And it's hard to know if the staph in the culture came from the lungs, mouth, throat, hands, or anywhere else. They never treat the staph at our clinic, unless it's causing trouble.

He cultured pseudomonas at around 6 months old, did a round of Tobi and an oral anti. and never cultured it again. I don't know if it's gone or lurking.

He started culturing stenotrophomonas maltophilia (actually pretty similar to pseudomonas) last summer, and has had it ever since. It is only treated when it's causing syptoms (usually Bactrim or Augmentin, sometimes orapred too).

I don't really know anything about H. influenzae, but I think it is one of the common bugs people with CF have. And a ton of people have staph. The doctors may be letting the culture they're unsure of grow a little longer, to better identify it. When my son first cultured stenotrophomonas they originally came in and said it looked like pseudomonas, because it's that type of bacteria. But after a few more days the final report came back with the steno.

amber682

zoeg

My daughter always cultures e coli. They said that is normal for the little ones though. She also did culture pseudomonas at about 6 months, but we admitted her for IVs and she has been clear since. We go in about 2 weeks to clinic and I am already biting my nails worried about what Kate will have.

Zoe mom to Kate 19 months wCF

zoeg

My daughter always cultures e coli. They said that is normal for the little ones though. She also did culture pseudomonas at about 6 months, but we admitted her for IVs and she has been clear since. We go in about 2 weeks to clinic and I am already biting my nails worried about what Kate will have.

zoeg

chattyfamily

Breezy,
What does that mean? How did culturing for H flu lead to discovering bronchiectasis and what is bronchiectasis? What do you have to do to treat it?

chattyfamily

Breezy,
What does that mean? How did culturing for H flu lead to discovering bronchiectasis and what is bronchiectasis? What do you have to do to treat it?

chattyfamily

Breezy,

M

Mommafirst

My DD is 16 months and has cultured both Staph and H. Influenzae as well. I think she had one other bug that was also part of the "totally normal CF stuff we don't even treat unless there is a problem" variety. AFter a few months of weight and infection problems, she went on IVs and now her last culture was clear. Don't know if that's because of the IV or because it wasn't a good culture. But she seems to be doing better so I'm guessing they cleared her out, though I'm sure it will all be back and then some eventually.

M

Mommafirst

My DD is 16 months and has cultured both Staph and H. Influenzae as well. I think she had one other bug that was also part of the "totally normal CF stuff we don't even treat unless there is a problem" variety. AFter a few months of weight and infection problems, she went on IVs and now her last culture was clear. Don't know if that's because of the IV or because it wasn't a good culture. But she seems to be doing better so I'm guessing they cleared her out, though I'm sure it will all be back and then some eventually.