What is a good rank to blow on the breathing test?

enzo

So I am just wondering whats a good number to blow on the test. Last time i went to the doctors i got a 104%, how good is that? is that normal for a 17 yr old? What percent would be a really healthy lungs? Im sorry if i dont really make sense, i dont know what the blow test is (they used to do candles when i was younger and then they would say keep blowing keep blowing till all the candles were out). Also, im going to the docs again in a month, what can i do to improve my results on that test? how can i supercharge my lungs so that theyre at their A game? also, is it cheating taking albuterol before going to the doctors? i feel like it is. Oh, one last question, whats that test called where you blow?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
If the 104% you're speaking of is the FEV1 then, yes thats perfect for a 17 year old. If you want to keep your numbers at 104 then you should exercise regularly. Run, walk, bike, swim, etc. The blow test you are asking about is called Pulmonary Function Test (PFT)

Printer

They start by taking yout height and weight. This along with your age is factored into the "PFT Machine". The machine then calabrates the strength of your lung output. This is compared against the "standard/average" for someone your age, height and weight without CF. 100% would mean that you are average. 104% means that you are above average. As compared to someone without CF.

Bill

D

DrRoe

Enzo - The PFT returns several values which are expressed as a percentage. The values are based on your height/weight/gender/race - this is because all of those things can effect them for example on the average a 5'10" woman will have smaller lungs than a 5'10" male. A resulting value is usually considered abnormal if it is less than 80% of your predicted value, so if your predicted value is 3 and you blow a 3 your percentage is 100% or 100% of your predicted value. The main values you hear folks talking about are the FVC and FEV1. The FVC (Forced Vital Capacity) is measuring the amount of air that you can forcibly exhale from your lungs after taking the deepest breath possible. While the FEV1 (Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second) is a portion of the FVC , as its the amount of air you can forcibly exhaled from your lungs during the 1st second you're exhaling. Here's a good site that explains all of this in more detail if you are interested - http://copd.about.com/od/copd/a/pfts.htm

65rosessamurai

My Doctor likes to look at the FEV25, which is basically looking at the smaller capilaries in the lungs. I vaguely recall the explanation of the FEV25 as looking at 25% of the 1 sec to fill the lungs, which would be the smallest branches in the lungs.
Also, based on weight, height and gender, some machines give an age bracket of your lungs. The "race" is never changed for me, so its always in comparison to a Japanese male with the same weight/height as me (yes, they do get tall these days).

R

RytheStunner

Actually, weight does not factor into the equation for the reference values. Weight is important because it is often an indicator of your current health based on your usual weight baseline, but if you look at the actual equations used to calculate those reference values, weight is not a factor.