What is atypical cf?

MicheleGazelle

In my case, it means I was diagnosed late in life with borderline sweat chlorides. I have heard other "definitions" from other people. I don't think there is a standard definition. I used to refer to myself as having "mild CF" but was attacked on a CF list for saying that, where it was apparently politically incorrect. I was told the acceptable term is "atypical CF". In the interest of having my head handed to me on a platter less often, I try to stick to that term.

MicheleGazelle

In my case, it means I was diagnosed late in life with borderline sweat chlorides. I have heard other "definitions" from other people. I don't think there is a standard definition. I used to refer to myself as having "mild CF" but was attacked on a CF list for saying that, where it was apparently politically incorrect. I was told the acceptable term is "atypical CF". In the interest of having my head handed to me on a platter less often, I try to stick to that term.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

just1more

Atypical CF is used to describe a patient with CF that either:

1) Has common known mutations but presents with an atypically mild presentation; these will normally progress over time.

Or more commonly

2) Diagnosis based upon mutation analysis containing one or more rare mutations that may or may not present with CF symptoms or progression.

just1more

1) Has common known mutations but presents with an atypically mild presentation; these will normally progress over time.

Or more commonly

2) Diagnosis based upon mutation analysis containing one or more rare mutations that may or may not present with CF symptoms or progression.

just1more

Or more commonly

just1more

Or more commonly

just1more

<br />
<br />1) Has common known mutations but presents with an atypically mild presentation; these will normally progress over time.
<br />
<br />Or more commonly
<br />
<br />2) Diagnosis based upon mutation analysis containing one or more rare mutations that may or may not present with CF symptoms or progression.