What's the harm with IV benadryl?

J

jipleary

So I've been on and off vancomyacin for a few years now and I like a lot of other people I've seen on the boards I have to take 50mg of IV benadryl before each dose, and when I'm on it, it helps me sleep of course. And when I'm not on the vanc/benadryl I have been able to manage sleeping fine.

But the last time I was on it the vanc/benadryl I was also on prednisone. I haven't been on prednisone ever. The benadryl helped the insomnia from prednisone but now I stopped the benadryl and the vanc but stayed on the prednisone and can't sleep at all! I asked my doc for IV benadryl to help sleep and he said no cause it causes the mucus to dry out. So he gave me ambien 5mg and i didn't do much then the next night i took 50mg of oral benadryl and it didn't do much either, then i tried 10mg of ambien and it didn't really help a whole lot either. To be honest pills have never really done much to me at all. I've taken vicodin and percoset and norco for pain on a few occasions and haven't really noticed much. And I also think I built up a tolerance for the benadryl with the amount of IV doses I was using.

I'm just really frustrated cause I can't sleep and I know the IV benadryl would work. But at the same time I feel really awkward cause I feel like I'm doing something dishonest, like my doctor things I'm a benadryl seeker. But so far it's the only thing that's worked. So two questions really,

1. Does any CF patient take IV benadryl regularly or on and off as a sleep aid? or is that frowned upon.
2. Are there any other IV sleep aids available cause the pills don't seem do be doing the trick. (I think the IV benadryl has built up my tolerance for oral sleep aids.)
3. What can I ask my doctor?

JustDucky

I also take IV benedryl when on Vanco, and yes it does help with my sleep issues. I agree that IV seems to do a much better job, but it does have a drying effect on the mucous. But because I can't tolerate Vanc unless benedryl is on board, they allow it for that reason. Have you tried melatonin? I find that helps some. Ambien usually leaves me a bit gorked. There is another drug, Lunesta to help with sleep. Perhaps that would help you. I hope something helps, sleep problems suck!

Jenn 40 wCF

chris27rocker

I agree with Jenn about the Melatonin. I take very little - .25 mg - and that helps me nightly fall asleep, but when I'm having trouble, it's safe to take up to 3 mg. I'd start as low as you can, and see how much you need. It has no side effects on other body systems, unlike the Benadryl, and actually helps the body produce glutathione. I too love the IV Ben, but it's given me trouble getting mucus out, and makes it hard to stay awake during the day when I have to have it with Vanc.

azdesertrat

Oh man, I can relate to the prednisone-related insomnia. Insomnia has wrecked my plans more times than I care to remember. As far as sleep aids, I do my best to avoid them. When I know I absolutely have to get a good night's sleep I'll use sleep aids; mostly gemeric dyphenhydramine. When That doesn't work, I'll take brand-name Benadryl pills. Those almost always guarantee a good night's sleep. One drawback; I usually wind up taking one pill more than the reccomended dose. Sometimes it will make me groggy in the AM & not want to get out of bed. I've never had any of my DR's give me any problem over my sleep aid issues. I hope this gives you some usable information. Take care, 'Pat'...