Working Moms

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone,
Reading the Mums with the Blues post made me realize I am feeling really anxious about returning to work. I have been lucky to be home for four months, and am scheduled to go back when Sam is six months (in March). I am a teacher, so I'll work until early June, and then have two more months with him (when he's 10 / 11 months), and then start back up again. I feel grateful that I have had this much time, but I worry that I won't be on my game when I return. That I'll be tired and I'll let something slip in his care. There is nothing I want more than to be a good mother to my two children. Before anyone is too harsh, I do have to work. If I don't, there is a $1,000 deficit in our income. The anxiety about providing him with enough breast milk, getting up early to do his treatments, all of that is very concerning. I do have a very trusted babysitter, she's like a member of our family, who will be coming to our house, so we never have to do daycare if we do not want to. How does everyone feel about working and doing the best you can for your child? I hope I haven't opened a can of worms.
rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam (ddf508, 4 months), and Robin (no CF, 4 years old)

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone,
Reading the Mums with the Blues post made me realize I am feeling really anxious about returning to work. I have been lucky to be home for four months, and am scheduled to go back when Sam is six months (in March). I am a teacher, so I'll work until early June, and then have two more months with him (when he's 10 / 11 months), and then start back up again. I feel grateful that I have had this much time, but I worry that I won't be on my game when I return. That I'll be tired and I'll let something slip in his care. There is nothing I want more than to be a good mother to my two children. Before anyone is too harsh, I do have to work. If I don't, there is a $1,000 deficit in our income. The anxiety about providing him with enough breast milk, getting up early to do his treatments, all of that is very concerning. I do have a very trusted babysitter, she's like a member of our family, who will be coming to our house, so we never have to do daycare if we do not want to. How does everyone feel about working and doing the best you can for your child? I hope I haven't opened a can of worms.

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone,

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone,

rosesixtyfive

Hello, everyone,
<br />Reading the Mums with the Blues post made me realize I am feeling really anxious about returning to work. I have been lucky to be home for four months, and am scheduled to go back when Sam is six months (in March). I am a teacher, so I'll work until early June, and then have two more months with him (when he's 10 / 11 months), and then start back up again. I feel grateful that I have had this much time, but I worry that I won't be on my game when I return. That I'll be tired and I'll let something slip in his care. There is nothing I want more than to be a good mother to my two children. Before anyone is too harsh, I do have to work. If I don't, there is a $1,000 deficit in our income. The anxiety about providing him with enough breast milk, getting up early to do his treatments, all of that is very concerning. I do have a very trusted babysitter, she's like a member of our family, who will be coming to our house, so we never have to do daycare if we do not want to. How does everyone feel about working and doing the best you can for your child? I hope I haven't opened a can of worms.
<br />rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam (ddf508, 4 months), and Robin (no CF, 4 years old)

MDad

I know how you feel - we would love to be able to stay home and take care of our boy without resorting to baby sitters and childcare but needs must and we have no choice in order to meet the bills. You're lucky to have someone coming to you. We tried a childminder in the home and bringing him out to daycare. With the extra routine that's required in teh mornings,having someone come to your house is a lot easier.It definitely takes some of the stress out of the day and obviously they more practical side of not having your child exposed to the many things that they could pick up in daycare.

MDad

I know how you feel - we would love to be able to stay home and take care of our boy without resorting to baby sitters and childcare but needs must and we have no choice in order to meet the bills. You're lucky to have someone coming to you. We tried a childminder in the home and bringing him out to daycare. With the extra routine that's required in teh mornings,having someone come to your house is a lot easier.It definitely takes some of the stress out of the day and obviously they more practical side of not having your child exposed to the many things that they could pick up in daycare.

MDad

MDad

MDad

M

Mommafirst

Hey, no judgement here. I'm a college professor and have had to work throughout my kids' childhoods. I, like you, have a very trusted sitter that comes to my house and is more like a family member and things have worked out fabulously -- I swear!!!!

My sitter can do vest treatments, nebs, give enzymes, and has even dealt calmly with a g-tube falling out (I came and took her to the ER, but sitter kept everyone calm and cool).

I spent many years (even before CF entered our lives) feeling angry that I HAD to work. Its funny because if I didn't have all those years of school and school loans, I wouldn't have HAD to work -- and that made me really bitter. The desire to be home with my kids was much more overwhelming than I ever could have anticipated.

But working (albeit I only teach two days a week) has really let me have some "me" moments. I have set up an expectation that Alyssa's care should not be compromised and my sitter has been wonderful in following all the rules. I don't worry about other sick kids at daycare. Even though I had a great deal of sadness over our choices, I know now that it has worked out in a way that I get the best of both worlds.

So hang in there. Start now putting together lists of all that is needed to care for Sam and learn to delegate some of it. This is a marathon, not a sprint -- if you lose you in the process you won't have anything left to give Sam or Robin. ((((HUGS))))

M

Mommafirst

Hey, no judgement here. I'm a college professor and have had to work throughout my kids' childhoods. I, like you, have a very trusted sitter that comes to my house and is more like a family member and things have worked out fabulously -- I swear!!!!

My sitter can do vest treatments, nebs, give enzymes, and has even dealt calmly with a g-tube falling out (I came and took her to the ER, but sitter kept everyone calm and cool).

I spent many years (even before CF entered our lives) feeling angry that I HAD to work. Its funny because if I didn't have all those years of school and school loans, I wouldn't have HAD to work -- and that made me really bitter. The desire to be home with my kids was much more overwhelming than I ever could have anticipated.

But working (albeit I only teach two days a week) has really let me have some "me" moments. I have set up an expectation that Alyssa's care should not be compromised and my sitter has been wonderful in following all the rules. I don't worry about other sick kids at daycare. Even though I had a great deal of sadness over our choices, I know now that it has worked out in a way that I get the best of both worlds.

So hang in there. Start now putting together lists of all that is needed to care for Sam and learn to delegate some of it. This is a marathon, not a sprint -- if you lose you in the process you won't have anything left to give Sam or Robin. ((((HUGS))))

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />My sitter can do vest treatments, nebs, give enzymes, and has even dealt calmly with a g-tube falling out (I came and took her to the ER, but sitter kept everyone calm and cool).
<br />
<br />I spent many years (even before CF entered our lives) feeling angry that I HAD to work. Its funny because if I didn't have all those years of school and school loans, I wouldn't have HAD to work -- and that made me really bitter. The desire to be home with my kids was much more overwhelming than I ever could have anticipated.
<br />
<br />But working (albeit I only teach two days a week) has really let me have some "me" moments. I have set up an expectation that Alyssa's care should not be compromised and my sitter has been wonderful in following all the rules. I don't worry about other sick kids at daycare. Even though I had a great deal of sadness over our choices, I know now that it has worked out in a way that I get the best of both worlds.
<br />
<br />So hang in there. Start now putting together lists of all that is needed to care for Sam and learn to delegate some of it. This is a marathon, not a sprint -- if you lose you in the process you won't have anything left to give Sam or Robin. ((((HUGS))))

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While I was overwhelmed a bit when I went back to work, I was also under a lot of stress being a new mom and dealing with his bottle aversion, minimal napping while at home. He probably sensed my stress, sleep deprivation.... I was up at 6 a.m. and usually didn't get to bed until almost midnight. DH got up and did a 2:30 feeding, sometimes cpt, otherwise everything was on me.

While I cried and checked on him a few times during the day, DS probably did better at daycare -- probably because the daycare director with 25+ years of experience didn't spend most of her day blubbering over him like I did. He took normal naps, ate better. I actually had time over my noon hour to catch up on housework, organizing meds, bottles, do laundry, run errands. So when we got home at 5 we could focus 100% on him.

DS is an only child and a very social creature. We looked long and hard for a preschool/daycare which has been an excellent fit for him and us.

I should add that both DH and I had a lot of sick & vacation time saved up and flexible schedules. Hasn't been an issue with appointments, sick days or hospitalizations. This last summer after 3 weeks in the hospital if DS hadn't been released we were going to have to take turns, but up until that point both of us were able to stay with DS in his room. For clinic appointments in the City, we've both gone so far. He's never had a babysitter -- in the rare event that DH and I have something -- like a great strides meeting, then we leave DS with his grandparents or one of our friends.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While I was overwhelmed a bit when I went back to work, I was also under a lot of stress being a new mom and dealing with his bottle aversion, minimal napping while at home. He probably sensed my stress, sleep deprivation.... I was up at 6 a.m. and usually didn't get to bed until almost midnight. DH got up and did a 2:30 feeding, sometimes cpt, otherwise everything was on me.

While I cried and checked on him a few times during the day, DS probably did better at daycare -- probably because the daycare director with 25+ years of experience didn't spend most of her day blubbering over him like I did. He took normal naps, ate better. I actually had time over my noon hour to catch up on housework, organizing meds, bottles, do laundry, run errands. So when we got home at 5 we could focus 100% on him.

DS is an only child and a very social creature. We looked long and hard for a preschool/daycare which has been an excellent fit for him and us.

I should add that both DH and I had a lot of sick & vacation time saved up and flexible schedules. Hasn't been an issue with appointments, sick days or hospitalizations. This last summer after 3 weeks in the hospital if DS hadn't been released we were going to have to take turns, but up until that point both of us were able to stay with DS in his room. For clinic appointments in the City, we've both gone so far. He's never had a babysitter -- in the rare event that DH and I have something -- like a great strides meeting, then we leave DS with his grandparents or one of our friends.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />While I cried and checked on him a few times during the day, DS probably did better at daycare -- probably because the daycare director with 25+ years of experience didn't spend most of her day blubbering over him like I did. He took normal naps, ate better. I actually had time over my noon hour to catch up on housework, organizing meds, bottles, do laundry, run errands. So when we got home at 5 we could focus 100% on him.
<br />
<br />DS is an only child and a very social creature. We looked long and hard for a preschool/daycare which has been an excellent fit for him and us.
<br />
<br />I should add that both DH and I had a lot of sick & vacation time saved up and flexible schedules. Hasn't been an issue with appointments, sick days or hospitalizations. This last summer after 3 weeks in the hospital if DS hadn't been released we were going to have to take turns, but up until that point both of us were able to stay with DS in his room. For clinic appointments in the City, we've both gone so far. He's never had a babysitter -- in the rare event that DH and I have something -- like a great strides meeting, then we leave DS with his grandparents or one of our friends.