working with PICC

sue35

How many of you still work when you have IVs. I am a teacher and planned to go back to work on Monday. I got my PICC on Tuesday so I would be working the majority of my time with the PICC line in. I know that you are supposed to rest with IVs and that is impossible at work given that I am on my feet all day.

Just wondering what your doctors have said about working

sue35

How many of you still work when you have IVs. I am a teacher and planned to go back to work on Monday. I got my PICC on Tuesday so I would be working the majority of my time with the PICC line in. I know that you are supposed to rest with IVs and that is impossible at work given that I am on my feet all day.

sue35

JazzysMom

I dont work, but was never told to really limit things just because of the picc. I need to be careful about overdoing it with the arm & of course not getting to tired, but not the picc in general!

JazzysMom

I dont work, but was never told to really limit things just because of the picc. I need to be careful about overdoing it with the arm & of course not getting to tired, but not the picc in general!

JazzysMom

NoExcuses

This is why my doc fight to keep me in the hospital - because he doesn't want me to work. It really is important to let your body rest when you have a lung infection.

Think about how much quicker people without CF get better from a cold if they stay at home and sleep it off versus if they insist on going to work and not sleeping enough. The person who stays home and sleeps will get better sooner every time.

Now we're talking lung infection here, not a cold. Resting will benefit the body that much more....

NoExcuses

This is why my doc fight to keep me in the hospital - because he doesn't want me to work. It really is important to let your body rest when you have a lung infection.

Think about how much quicker people without CF get better from a cold if they stay at home and sleep it off versus if they insist on going to work and not sleeping enough. The person who stays home and sleeps will get better sooner every time.

Now we're talking lung infection here, not a cold. Resting will benefit the body that much more....

NoExcuses

princessjdc

My doc had no problem with me working with my picc lines in. I did my hook ups when I got home from work and I work from 8-5 so, eventhough they were getting done late at least I didnt have to miss with them at work, except on Sat when I go in, in the evening, but they all knew about my picc, not everyone in the am knew, so I tried to hide it. I was also told that I could do anything with a picc in except for get it wet, they said i could play football if I wanted to, but my second picc they said that I couldnt play football, but I guess not all hospitals are the same, my second picc was at a different hospital.

princessjdc

My doc had no problem with me working with my picc lines in. I did my hook ups when I got home from work and I work from 8-5 so, eventhough they were getting done late at least I didnt have to miss with them at work, except on Sat when I go in, in the evening, but they all knew about my picc, not everyone in the am knew, so I tried to hide it. I was also told that I could do anything with a picc in except for get it wet, they said i could play football if I wanted to, but my second picc they said that I couldnt play football, but I guess not all hospitals are the same, my second picc was at a different hospital.

princessjdc

Chaggie

My doctor doesn't have a problem either. I just close my office door and hhok up. I would think it would be a little more difficult for you though.

Chaggie

My doctor doesn't have a problem either. I just close my office door and hhok up. I would think it would be a little more difficult for you though.

Chaggie

JennifersHope

I also work with a PICC line in... If the other nurses know I have it in, they tend to baby me a little and not let me push a stretcher or do anything that exerts a ton of energy.. I always argue with them and tell them I can do anything I want..

It is pretty easy to work with the line in. I have gone to school with it, ran my IVS in class, in clinical and while I was working...

I do agree that when you are able to rest I think you get better much faster, but that isn't the real world for someone who needs IVS often or someone who is holding down a full time job..

The hardest thing for me with a PICC line is.... I hate the dressings they make my skin get a rash

Jennifer

JennifersHope

I also work with a PICC line in... If the other nurses know I have it in, they tend to baby me a little and not let me push a stretcher or do anything that exerts a ton of energy.. I always argue with them and tell them I can do anything I want..

It is pretty easy to work with the line in. I have gone to school with it, ran my IVS in class, in clinical and while I was working...

I do agree that when you are able to rest I think you get better much faster, but that isn't the real world for someone who needs IVS often or someone who is holding down a full time job..

The hardest thing for me with a PICC line is.... I hate the dressings they make my skin get a rash

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer

Debi

My doctor also is fine with me working with my PICC line in. I've been doing it for many years now and never had a problem. Of course, I always take time off at the beginning to rest up until I'm feeling strong enough to go back to work. And, my office is terrific about accommodating a reduced work schedule and telecommuting. I am blessed in that sense. I would go nuts staying at home the entire time! I think it all depends on the person and how bad the flareup is. Each person needs to do what works best for him or her - cf is NOT a one size fits all disease.

Debi

My doctor also is fine with me working with my PICC line in. I've been doing it for many years now and never had a problem. Of course, I always take time off at the beginning to rest up until I'm feeling strong enough to go back to work. And, my office is terrific about accommodating a reduced work schedule and telecommuting. I am blessed in that sense. I would go nuts staying at home the entire time! I think it all depends on the person and how bad the flareup is. Each person needs to do what works best for him or her - cf is NOT a one size fits all disease.