Your Identity

SIcklyhatED

I've always refused to wrap my entire identity up in the fact that I have CF. It feels so... blah. On an entirely different level of blah. I feel like in today's world people act as if they "own" the disease and that they're the only ones entitled to it, y'know?

Forgive me if this sounds like a rant. I'm dealing with a certian friend and classmate who is doing just this with anxiety/panic disorder at the moment and it's gotten me thinking a bit.

What is your identity?

Most, but still few, classmates, teachers, etc know I have CF. I simply dont feel the need to tell, and if I have to I will. I'll pop my pills where I please and cough all I want, and when someone asks I'll calmly explain. I will not hide it, I will not exploit it, I will not say, "Look at me, the poor tortured soul, feel pity." Nor will I ignore it. Person first, patient second.

Maybe this is because of the stage and condition of my CF. I've never had it interfere but once or twice with my life. I'm sure for those who have severe cases may find this a bit trickier though. But wouldn't freeing your identity of CF improve your quality of life? the psychological toll is enormous, and there is such a thing as making yourself sick.

SIcklyhatED

I've always refused to wrap my entire identity up in the fact that I have CF. It feels so... blah. On an entirely different level of blah. I feel like in today's world people act as if they "own" the disease and that they're the only ones entitled to it, y'know?

Forgive me if this sounds like a rant. I'm dealing with a certian friend and classmate who is doing just this with anxiety/panic disorder at the moment and it's gotten me thinking a bit.

What is your identity?

Most, but still few, classmates, teachers, etc know I have CF. I simply dont feel the need to tell, and if I have to I will. I'll pop my pills where I please and cough all I want, and when someone asks I'll calmly explain. I will not hide it, I will not exploit it, I will not say, "Look at me, the poor tortured soul, feel pity." Nor will I ignore it. Person first, patient second.

Maybe this is because of the stage and condition of my CF. I've never had it interfere but once or twice with my life. I'm sure for those who have severe cases may find this a bit trickier though. But wouldn't freeing your identity of CF improve your quality of life? the psychological toll is enormous, and there is such a thing as making yourself sick.

SIcklyhatED

<br />
<br />Forgive me if this sounds like a rant. I'm dealing with a certian friend and classmate who is doing just this with anxiety/panic disorder at the moment and it's gotten me thinking a bit.
<br />
<br />What is your identity?
<br />
<br />Most, but still few, classmates, teachers, etc know I have CF. I simply dont feel the need to tell, and if I have to I will. I'll pop my pills where I please and cough all I want, and when someone asks I'll calmly explain. I will not hide it, I will not exploit it, I will not say, "Look at me, the poor tortured soul, feel pity." Nor will I ignore it. Person first, patient second.
<br />
<br />Maybe this is because of the stage and condition of my CF. I've never had it interfere but once or twice with my life. I'm sure for those who have severe cases may find this a bit trickier though. But wouldn't freeing your identity of CF improve your quality of life? the psychological toll is enormous, and there is such a thing as making yourself sick.

nmw615

I agree with you. I find I have little sympathy for those that "exploit," for lack of a better word, the fact that they have a disease or disorder.

That's not to say I don't mind when people have their bad days and need to complain; I have those too. It's when it becomes a habit, or when it's used to gain something that it bothers me.

nmw615

I agree with you. I find I have little sympathy for those that "exploit," for lack of a better word, the fact that they have a disease or disorder.

That's not to say I don't mind when people have their bad days and need to complain; I have those too. It's when it becomes a habit, or when it's used to gain something that it bothers me.

nmw615

<br />
<br />That's not to say I don't mind when people have their bad days and need to complain; I have those too. It's when it becomes a habit, or when it's used to gain something that it bothers me.

Havoc

I agree as well. I am so much more than a person with CF and it certainly doesn't define me. Some people, it seems, have quite a bit of self esteem issues, or perhaps feel that they don't get enough attention. These people will use almost anything to get people to smother them in pity and uplifting comments. And it's certainly not limited to CF. I have a friend who is like that. Every other day she's having some kind of mini crisis, because she wants the attention and the comments of support from her friends. I suppose it's an unfortunate personality trait.

Havoc

I agree as well. I am so much more than a person with CF and it certainly doesn't define me. Some people, it seems, have quite a bit of self esteem issues, or perhaps feel that they don't get enough attention. These people will use almost anything to get people to smother them in pity and uplifting comments. And it's certainly not limited to CF. I have a friend who is like that. Every other day she's having some kind of mini crisis, because she wants the attention and the comments of support from her friends. I suppose it's an unfortunate personality trait.

Havoc