Yuck! Antibiotics=thrush

thefrogprincess

I've been on a round of Tobi and oral antibiotics (the oral one is a new one for me, I don't remember the name off the top of my head, starts with M) and this morning I woke up and my tongue felt like I had burned it. You know how it gets kind of hyper-sensitive if you burn your tongue/mouth? That's how it feels. I looked in the mirror and its all white, and so is part of my throat. I'm sure its thrush, but I was just wondering if diflucan helps? I'm sure it would since its for yeast infections.

thefrogprincess

I've been on a round of Tobi and oral antibiotics (the oral one is a new one for me, I don't remember the name off the top of my head, starts with M) and this morning I woke up and my tongue felt like I had burned it. You know how it gets kind of hyper-sensitive if you burn your tongue/mouth? That's how it feels. I looked in the mirror and its all white, and so is part of my throat. I'm sure its thrush, but I was just wondering if diflucan helps? I'm sure it would since its for yeast infections.

thefrogprincess

Emily65Roses

Don't take my word on it, but when I had thrush (which was years ago, I might add), I was told regular treatments wouldn't work (that includes Diflucan), and that I had to use these lozenges. They tasted really awful and I hated them, but that was what I was told to use.

I wonder if Diflucan is okay to use for that now? I want to know too now Jessi hahaha.

Emily65Roses

Don't take my word on it, but when I had thrush (which was years ago, I might add), I was told regular treatments wouldn't work (that includes Diflucan), and that I had to use these lozenges. They tasted really awful and I hated them, but that was what I was told to use.

I wonder if Diflucan is okay to use for that now? I want to know too now Jessi hahaha.

Emily65Roses

letsrockcfem

Aww man Jessi that stinks! I get thrush quite a bit from TOBI and I have taken Nystatin for it...it is a milky liquid that I swish around in my mouth for about a minute then swallow..I always get white balls that look like they are popping out of my tonsils..so gross. My doc always says that if Nystatin doesn't work then we'd try Diflucan..So I guess call your doc and see what they reccomend. The oral swoosh isn't bad tasting though.
Rock CF
Em

letsrockcfem

Aww man Jessi that stinks! I get thrush quite a bit from TOBI and I have taken Nystatin for it...it is a milky liquid that I swish around in my mouth for about a minute then swallow..I always get white balls that look like they are popping out of my tonsils..so gross. My doc always says that if Nystatin doesn't work then we'd try Diflucan..So I guess call your doc and see what they reccomend. The oral swoosh isn't bad tasting though.
Rock CF
Em

letsrockcfem

Rock CF
Em

sue35

Now I feel like such an idiot! I have been complaining for the last week and a half that my tongue hurts and I can barely eat without it hurting. And I looked at it and saw it was white but didn't think anything of it. Duh!!

Anyway, I also developed a yeast infection (on two antibiotics and TOBI) and I took two Diflucan. Now my tongue doesn't hurt that much and the white is gone so it must of helped. I will be interested to see what others respond

sue35

Now I feel like such an idiot! I have been complaining for the last week and a half that my tongue hurts and I can barely eat without it hurting. And I looked at it and saw it was white but didn't think anything of it. Duh!!

Anyway, I also developed a yeast infection (on two antibiotics and TOBI) and I took two Diflucan. Now my tongue doesn't hurt that much and the white is gone so it must of helped. I will be interested to see what others respond

sue35

blindhearted

It is very common to get thrush with Tobi. When I was taken it I had to use Nystatin every month with it. It also happens when I take strong oral antibotics. Nystatin works really well for thrush. It's a yellow, milky liquid and you swish it around for a few minutes then swollow. You do this around 4 times a day. If you catch it early, you can get away with 2 times a day.

blindhearted

It is very common to get thrush with Tobi. When I was taken it I had to use Nystatin every month with it. It also happens when I take strong oral antibotics. Nystatin works really well for thrush. It's a yellow, milky liquid and you swish it around for a few minutes then swollow. You do this around 4 times a day. If you catch it early, you can get away with 2 times a day.

blindhearted

mom2lillian

In addition to whatever treatment you need I woudl highly recommend a probiotic tablet (dont take around medication infusions as it will negate it). It is very helpful and keep taking it after you are done with abx as it can repopulate your gut and such with bacteria.

mom2lillian

In addition to whatever treatment you need I woudl highly recommend a probiotic tablet (dont take around medication infusions as it will negate it). It is very helpful and keep taking it after you are done with abx as it can repopulate your gut and such with bacteria.

mom2lillian

thefrogprincess

I actually had to call the CF nurse today because they screwed up a referal for me. So while I had her on the phone I asked about it. She said diflucan works for some people so I should start taking it. If it doesn't help then they'll give me the mouth wash. This is actually the first time antibiotics have given me thrush. Usually I get the Dreaded Bread Disease down south. If I had to pick I'd take the thrush though. This is uncomfortable but not too bad.

thefrogprincess

I actually had to call the CF nurse today because they screwed up a referal for me. So while I had her on the phone I asked about it. She said diflucan works for some people so I should start taking it. If it doesn't help then they'll give me the mouth wash. This is actually the first time antibiotics have given me thrush. Usually I get the Dreaded Bread Disease down south. If I had to pick I'd take the thrush though. This is uncomfortable but not too bad.