a little advice please

broken

im about 10 weeks pregnant and my doctor just called me and told me that i carry the gene for cf. ive heard of cf, but dont really know much about it. can someone please explain it to me and what the chances of my baby being born with it is? thank you.

broken

im about 10 weeks pregnant and my doctor just called me and told me that i carry the gene for cf. ive heard of cf, but dont really know much about it. can someone please explain it to me and what the chances of my baby being born with it is? thank you.

broken

LouLou

your baby can't have cf if the father of the baby isn't a carrier. you should consider having him tested to see if he is a carrier. you'll want him to get the Ambry Extended Panel genetic test to be sure they test for all possible mutations. I believe they are up to 1500 now. You carry one if these. Your baby will need two in order to have cf. The prognosis of your child is not known because cf varies so much from person to person. It is a progressive disease. The median life expectancy is 36.8 years right now. Getting the test of the father might make you sleep easier and if you are considering termination if the baby has cf this should help with that difficult decision too. If he is a carrier, your baby has a 25% chance of having cf because it is a double recessive gene. So in other words, if he is a carrier the baby might not have cf. Finally, you can do an interuterine test to find out if the baby has cf but I don't believe this is for many weeks. You might get more information and relate to others in similar situations in the "Newly Diagnosed" section. The "pregnancy" section is dedicated to persons with cf in their lives (patients, spouses, etc.) trying to add offspring to their families through various measures (natural conception, IUI, IVF and adoption).

LouLou

your baby can't have cf if the father of the baby isn't a carrier. you should consider having him tested to see if he is a carrier. you'll want him to get the Ambry Extended Panel genetic test to be sure they test for all possible mutations. I believe they are up to 1500 now. You carry one if these. Your baby will need two in order to have cf. The prognosis of your child is not known because cf varies so much from person to person. It is a progressive disease. The median life expectancy is 36.8 years right now. Getting the test of the father might make you sleep easier and if you are considering termination if the baby has cf this should help with that difficult decision too. If he is a carrier, your baby has a 25% chance of having cf because it is a double recessive gene. So in other words, if he is a carrier the baby might not have cf. Finally, you can do an interuterine test to find out if the baby has cf but I don't believe this is for many weeks. You might get more information and relate to others in similar situations in the "Newly Diagnosed" section. The "pregnancy" section is dedicated to persons with cf in their lives (patients, spouses, etc.) trying to add offspring to their families through various measures (natural conception, IUI, IVF and adoption).

LouLou

sflana1982

I also received the same news from my doctor today. I am 5 months pregnant. I have been searching the internet all day. So far, I have learned that the baby will only have a chance to have cystic fibrosis if BOTH parents have the gene. I am sending my husband to get tested today and my doctor has set me up with an appointment for a geneticist.

sflana1982

I also received the same news from my doctor today. I am 5 months pregnant. I have been searching the internet all day. So far, I have learned that the baby will only have a chance to have cystic fibrosis if BOTH parents have the gene. I am sending my husband to get tested today and my doctor has set me up with an appointment for a geneticist.

sflana1982