Anesthesia issues?

SIcklyhatED

Something I've always wonderd, does CF have an affect on anasthesia? Do we metabolize it faster/different? The reason I ask is 3 times I've had anasthesia "issues" (well, <em>I</em> call them issues...). Time #1 and #2 I was getting a bronchoscopy and I bit down on the scope. The first time they had to give me a ton of extra anasthetic to get my jaw to relax and I was bed bound for 3 days with a massive headache and dizzyness. The 2nd time I <em>dented the scope. </em>Oops. The #3rd instance, I was getting my 1st PICC placed and it was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. They said they'd knock me out completely (crappy veins) and I felt everything and was kicking but couldn't speak, and woke up crying.
I'm not exactly a big person either. 5'1 120lbs so it's not like it should take a lot to knock me down.... but apparently it does.
Anyone else? Or am I just a weirdo?

SIcklyhatED

Something I've always wonderd, does CF have an affect on anasthesia? Do we metabolize it faster/different? The reason I ask is 3 times I've had anasthesia "issues" (well, <em>I</em> call them issues...). Time #1 and #2 I was getting a bronchoscopy and I bit down on the scope. The first time they had to give me a ton of extra anasthetic to get my jaw to relax and I was bed bound for 3 days with a massive headache and dizzyness. The 2nd time I <em>dented the scope. </em>Oops. The #3rd instance, I was getting my 1st PICC placed and it was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. They said they'd knock me out completely (crappy veins) and I felt everything and was kicking but couldn't speak, and woke up crying.
I'm not exactly a big person either. 5'1 120lbs so it's not like it should take a lot to knock me down.... but apparently it does.
Anyone else? Or am I just a weirdo?

M

moxie1

I don't know if it is CF or not. When I was younger, I had 4 surgeries for a dogbite and in recent years I had my gallbladder removed. I did not have any problems with this that I know of.
HOWEVER, when I've had bronchoscopies (sp?) they've had a horrible time with me because I would fight it so much. My doctor said they had to give me enough drugs to put an elephant out. I also have trouble getting numb at the dentist.

M

moxie1

I don't know if it is CF or not. When I was younger, I had 4 surgeries for a dogbite and in recent years I had my gallbladder removed. I did not have any problems with this that I know of.
HOWEVER, when I've had bronchoscopies (sp?) they've had a horrible time with me because I would fight it so much. My doctor said they had to give me enough drugs to put an elephant out. I also have trouble getting numb at the dentist.

mamerth

I seem to do okay being kicked out. I don't do okay coming out of anesthesia... I am very combative. I knocked the nurse out!! They had to drug me back up, strap me down and the gradually wake me up.

mamerth

I seem to do okay being kicked out. I don't do okay coming out of anesthesia... I am very combative. I knocked the nurse out!! They had to drug me back up, strap me down and the gradually wake me up.

saveferris2009

I have had trouble getting numb at the dentist and sometimes getting numb with my PICC (they inject lidocane).

I've had 3 surgeries where they have knocked me out (gall bladder, hernia and appendix) and I don't recall any issues. Although I always wake up frantically asking if I'm alive. Ha.

saveferris2009

I have had trouble getting numb at the dentist and sometimes getting numb with my PICC (they inject lidocane).

I've had 3 surgeries where they have knocked me out (gall bladder, hernia and appendix) and I don't recall any issues. Although I always wake up frantically asking if I'm alive. Ha.

imported_Momto2

OMG, I have a hellish time with being put under. Once they had to give me so much I didnt wake up until 24 hours later (yeah, they put me in a light coma) and another time I had perfect auditory recall of everything that was said during the surgery! Note, I did not feel ANY pain, but when I started telling the surgeon his own jokes that he made during the procedure, he just about shat himself. All the other times (I've had about 7-8 procedures) my body has fought being put under with a rather nasty tenacity, it takes a long time and I keep trying to resurface, according the docs. Weird. And with the dentist, they have to shoot me up with double the amount of stuff to numb me, and it wears off super quick. And I come out of it fighting too, and it wears off very quickly.

imported_Momto2

OMG, I have a hellish time with being put under. Once they had to give me so much I didnt wake up until 24 hours later (yeah, they put me in a light coma) and another time I had perfect auditory recall of everything that was said during the surgery! Note, I did not feel ANY pain, but when I started telling the surgeon his own jokes that he made during the procedure, he just about shat himself. All the other times (I've had about 7-8 procedures) my body has fought being put under with a rather nasty tenacity, it takes a long time and I keep trying to resurface, according the docs. Weird. And with the dentist, they have to shoot me up with double the amount of stuff to numb me, and it wears off super quick. And I come out of it fighting too, and it wears off very quickly.

kayers3

I don't really have problems with being put under, once I'm under. I do know the docs have to give me more than they think they'll need.

kayers3

I don't really have problems with being put under, once I'm under. I do know the docs have to give me more than they think they'll need.

kayers3

As a side note, I would imagine the need for more drugs than what is "normal" could be caused by the amount of strong drugs we take on a frequent basis, rather than being CF specific.

kayers3

As a side note, I would imagine the need for more drugs than what is "normal" could be caused by the amount of strong drugs we take on a frequent basis, rather than being CF specific.

musclemania70

my o2 sats dropped quickly when i was under and i kept coughing (go figure) while they were trying to get the scope down the throat to look at my heart.

i woke up with the anesthesiologist yelling at me and telling me he couldn't get the scope down my throat. meanwhile while i was waking up, i couldn't breath and was begging for albuterol.

musclemania70

my o2 sats dropped quickly when i was under and i kept coughing (go figure) while they were trying to get the scope down the throat to look at my heart.

i woke up with the anesthesiologist yelling at me and telling me he couldn't get the scope down my throat. meanwhile while i was waking up, i couldn't breath and was begging for albuterol.

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote>

FASCINATING. I have never heard this!
Can you reference?
Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote>

FASCINATING. I have never heard this!
Can you reference?
Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.