antibiotics allergies

ymikhale

It seems that my 2.5 y/o becomes allergic to one antibiotic after another. First Augmentin, she had several courses with no problems and then suddenly had a delayed allergic reaction 10 days into the course . And now the same thing seems to happen with Bactrim.

The hospital already eliminated Augmentin as a treatment option. I am really worried that we will be left with no oral choices even though she responds really well to orals.

HAs anything like this happened to you or your child? What did your clinic do in this case?

thank you for reading.

ymikhale

It seems that my 2.5 y/o becomes allergic to one antibiotic after another. First Augmentin, she had several courses with no problems and then suddenly had a delayed allergic reaction 10 days into the course . And now the same thing seems to happen with Bactrim.

The hospital already eliminated Augmentin as a treatment option. I am really worried that we will be left with no oral choices even though she responds really well to orals.

HAs anything like this happened to you or your child? What did your clinic do in this case?

thank you for reading.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />The hospital already eliminated Augmentin as a treatment option. I am really worried that we will be left with no oral choices even though she responds really well to orals.
<br />
<br />HAs anything like this happened to you or your child? What did your clinic do in this case?
<br />
<br />thank you for reading.

AnnieT

I am 32, but I have had similar problems. I was on Cipro for several years and suddenly I am allergic to it, I break out in awful hives. So I am now going to be taking TOBI. If I couldn't get TOBI then only IV antiobiotics would work.

AnnieT

I am 32, but I have had similar problems. I was on Cipro for several years and suddenly I am allergic to it, I break out in awful hives. So I am now going to be taking TOBI. If I couldn't get TOBI then only IV antiobiotics would work.

AnnieT

serendipity730

Hi. I am 27 (almost 28!) and have developed some drug allergies as an adult, namely to an IV med called Zosyn. Has she ever been on Levaquin or Cipro (both in the same fam of drugs)? She probably wouldn't be on bactrim too frequently as she gets older, Kids w/CF tend to have more of a staph component to their infections than (most) adults do. Just remember, allergies change. So, in a few years, they might want to try Bactrim and Augmentin again, dependig on the reaction. I have a mild allergic reaction (rash & itchiness) to some penicillins. Since my options are somewhat limited, I usually just go on them anyway.

serendipity730

Hi. I am 27 (almost 28!) and have developed some drug allergies as an adult, namely to an IV med called Zosyn. Has she ever been on Levaquin or Cipro (both in the same fam of drugs)? She probably wouldn't be on bactrim too frequently as she gets older, Kids w/CF tend to have more of a staph component to their infections than (most) adults do. Just remember, allergies change. So, in a few years, they might want to try Bactrim and Augmentin again, dependig on the reaction. I have a mild allergic reaction (rash & itchiness) to some penicillins. Since my options are somewhat limited, I usually just go on them anyway.

serendipity730

lrbloms

I am 29 and allergic to almost every antibiotic under the sun including oral and IV. My doctor has done some desensitization on some just because we were out of options. I too have taken some antibiotics for years before becoming allergic to them. My doctors cringe when I call in that I am allergic to another antibiotic. Hope all goes well.

lrbloms

I am 29 and allergic to almost every antibiotic under the sun including oral and IV. My doctor has done some desensitization on some just because we were out of options. I too have taken some antibiotics for years before becoming allergic to them. My doctors cringe when I call in that I am allergic to another antibiotic. Hope all goes well.

lrbloms

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>serendipity730</b></i>

Hi. I am 27 (almost 28!) and have developed some drug allergies as an adult, namely to an IV med called Zosyn. Has she ever been on Levaquin or Cipro (both in the same fam of drugs)? She probably wouldn't be on bactrim too frequently as she gets older, Kids w/CF tend to have more of a staph component to their infections than (most) adults do. Just remember, allergies change. So, in a few years, they might want to try Bactrim and Augmentin again, dependig on the reaction. I have a mild allergic reaction (rash & itchiness) to some penicillins. Since my options are somewhat limited, I usually just go on them anyway.</end quote></div>

Thank you for your reply. She took Cipro once with no problems. I am under impression that she develops allergies after taking the drug a few times in a row- at least it has been the case for these two. Like you she has a relatively mild allergy with rash and itching, but they banned it anyway.

It is really reassuting to hear that allergies can change. I would hate her to go on IVs when she responds so well to orals and never has any symptoms.

Have they tried rotating antibiotics when you got allergic instead of giving the same one time after time. I was wondering if it would prevent further allergies to new drugs?

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>serendipity730</b></i>

Hi. I am 27 (almost 28!) and have developed some drug allergies as an adult, namely to an IV med called Zosyn. Has she ever been on Levaquin or Cipro (both in the same fam of drugs)? She probably wouldn't be on bactrim too frequently as she gets older, Kids w/CF tend to have more of a staph component to their infections than (most) adults do. Just remember, allergies change. So, in a few years, they might want to try Bactrim and Augmentin again, dependig on the reaction. I have a mild allergic reaction (rash & itchiness) to some penicillins. Since my options are somewhat limited, I usually just go on them anyway.</end quote>

Thank you for your reply. She took Cipro once with no problems. I am under impression that she develops allergies after taking the drug a few times in a row- at least it has been the case for these two. Like you she has a relatively mild allergy with rash and itching, but they banned it anyway.

It is really reassuting to hear that allergies can change. I would hate her to go on IVs when she responds so well to orals and never has any symptoms.

Have they tried rotating antibiotics when you got allergic instead of giving the same one time after time. I was wondering if it would prevent further allergies to new drugs?

ymikhale

<br />
<br />Hi. I am 27 (almost 28!) and have developed some drug allergies as an adult, namely to an IV med called Zosyn. Has she ever been on Levaquin or Cipro (both in the same fam of drugs)? She probably wouldn't be on bactrim too frequently as she gets older, Kids w/CF tend to have more of a staph component to their infections than (most) adults do. Just remember, allergies change. So, in a few years, they might want to try Bactrim and Augmentin again, dependig on the reaction. I have a mild allergic reaction (rash & itchiness) to some penicillins. Since my options are somewhat limited, I usually just go on them anyway.</end quote>
<br />
<br />Thank you for your reply. She took Cipro once with no problems. I am under impression that she develops allergies after taking the drug a few times in a row- at least it has been the case for these two. Like you she has a relatively mild allergy with rash and itching, but they banned it anyway.
<br />
<br />It is really reassuting to hear that allergies can change. I would hate her to go on IVs when she responds so well to orals and never has any symptoms.
<br />
<br />Have they tried rotating antibiotics when you got allergic instead of giving the same one time after time. I was wondering if it would prevent further allergies to new drugs?

ep1713

I don't know if this would help but my doctor's started giving me a dose of benedryl before my antibiotics. I am allergic to ceftazydyne after taking it for years. I started to react to merropenum and they started giving me benedryl 30 minutes before my IVs. I haven't had a reaction since. You might ask if they think that could work. My doctors said they do this with a lot of children now because of allergic reactions starting up.

Hope this helps!

ep1713

I don't know if this would help but my doctor's started giving me a dose of benedryl before my antibiotics. I am allergic to ceftazydyne after taking it for years. I started to react to merropenum and they started giving me benedryl 30 minutes before my IVs. I haven't had a reaction since. You might ask if they think that could work. My doctors said they do this with a lot of children now because of allergic reactions starting up.

Hope this helps!

ep1713

<br />
<br />Hope this helps!

rubyroselee

Hello,

I am pretty much allergic to every oral antibiotic used to treat my bugs. I am actually set up to go a drug allergist next month to see how severe the allergies actually are and which ones specifically I'm allergic to. I may go through desensitization if needed because there's no orals really left for me to use. And of course, I prefer to use orals over IVs any day.

So, it's not uncommon for us to be allergic to the meds, since we're on them so often. The choices are basically to go through desensitization or to use IV's in most cases.

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hello,

I am pretty much allergic to every oral antibiotic used to treat my bugs. I am actually set up to go a drug allergist next month to see how severe the allergies actually are and which ones specifically I'm allergic to. I may go through desensitization if needed because there's no orals really left for me to use. And of course, I prefer to use orals over IVs any day.

So, it's not uncommon for us to be allergic to the meds, since we're on them so often. The choices are basically to go through desensitization or to use IV's in most cases.

Good luck!