Any older adult have osteoporosis & using vest?

oldcflady

I'm 76 and just diagnosed in Jan. and started using the incourage vest about 3 weeks ago. I also have osteoporosis in my spine and hip. The dr. started me off at 60% pressure, twice a day, which was way to high, at hertz 6-12. The therapist turned it down to 40%. My ribs and back and chest are sore all the time. I also started having pains down my legs, which I never had before. I am concerned that the shaking from the vest is going to damage my ribs and spine. I have now turned the pressure down to 20% and wonder if it is doing any good lung wise at that low amount. Has anyone else in late 60's or in their 70's been using the vest with osteoporosis? Please respond if you have been doing the vest, and if you have had any problems because of the osteoporosis. My lungs are only moderately involved and I always score 97-98 on pulmonary function test. I question if I should be using the vest. Both of my older sisters have severe osteoporosis and are bent over and can hardly walk. My bone density scan done last week showed that the bone density has decreased quite a bit since 2 years ago. it seems that all that shaking from the vest could do more damage than good. The CF dr. and the in courage vest people say it should be fine. I don't want to trade off clearer lungs for permanent spine damage. Those of you who use the vest know how much it shakes your entire torso.

jricci

Super Moderator
This is from the inCourage manual:

"Relative Contraindications: The decision to use the inCourage System for airway secretion clearance in thepresence of the conditions listed below requires careful consideration andassessment of the individual patient’s case." Osteoporosis is listed as one of the relative contraindications according to the AARC Guidelines for Postural Drainage Therapy.

I would discuss with your doctor again given this information. You may be better off doing some form of exercise instead of vest, especially since certain forms of weight-bearing exercises are said to help with building and maintaining bone density. Good luck to you.

ecsnut

I'm 76 and just diagnosed in Jan. and started using the incourage vest about 3 weeks ago. I also have osteoporosis in my spine and hip. The dr. started me off at 60% pressure, twice a day, which was way to high, at hertz 6-12. The therapist turned it down to 40%. My ribs and back and chest are sore all the time. I also started having pains down my legs, which I never had before. I am concerned that the shaking from the vest is going to damage my ribs and spine. I have now turned the pressure down to 20% and wonder if it is doing any good lung wise at that low amount. Has anyone else in late 60's or in their 70's been using the vest with osteoporosis? Please respond if you have been doing the vest, and if you have had any problems because of the osteoporosis. My lungs are only moderately involved and I always score 97-98 on pulmonary function test. I question if I should be using the vest. Both of my older sisters have severe osteoporosis and are bent over and can hardly walk. My bone density scan done last week showed that the bone density has decreased quite a bit since 2 years ago. it seems that all that shaking from the vest could do more damage than good. The CF dr. and the in courage vest people say it should be fine. I don't want to trade off clearer lungs for permanent spine damage. Those of you who use the vest know how much it shakes your entire torso.

Hi there. Try another vest...the one with the hose at the bottom. I think its the Smartvest..it does not bang as hard...but gets the job done...and has velcro so my arthritis is not a problem. Hope that helps.

oldcflady

thanks. I pointed that out to him when he first discussed the vest, and he said it would be fine. So did the people at Respirtech. I have turned the pressure down as low as 10% and it still makes my spine and ribs hurt. I have decided not to use it because of this. I am working on deep breathing and the aerobica "pep" device instead. I always did the manual postural drainage on my son back in the 80's and 90's, but I have no one at home to do it for me now. I am also walking more now as exercise.