Back pain/pregnancy

boxer13

Anyone else having bad back pain while pregnant? I can't tell if its from my pregnancy or from coughing. Any ideas on what to do- hot showers seem to help. But it is the worst in the middle of the day while I am at work.

Thanks,

Michelle

boxer13

Anyone else having bad back pain while pregnant? I can't tell if its from my pregnancy or from coughing. Any ideas on what to do- hot showers seem to help. But it is the worst in the middle of the day while I am at work.

Thanks,

Michelle

boxer13

Thanks,

Michelle

julie

Must preface this with not a CFer, but is it the type of backpain that comes and goes? Is it sharp or is only present for a minute or so, or is it like a sore achey back... after you've been bending over working all day for example?

If it's come and go type, and is only present for a few minutes, you may want to slow it down and get checked out by your oB to make sure they aren't contractions.

julie

Must preface this with not a CFer, but is it the type of backpain that comes and goes? Is it sharp or is only present for a minute or so, or is it like a sore achey back... after you've been bending over working all day for example?

If it's come and go type, and is only present for a few minutes, you may want to slow it down and get checked out by your oB to make sure they aren't contractions.

julie

boxer13

Hi Julie,

Its a sore achey back. Lasting for an hour or so at a time. It feels like i should crack it but I can't- tried stretching that is not helping yet either.

Thanks for your reply.

boxer13

Hi Julie,

Its a sore achey back. Lasting for an hour or so at a time. It feels like i should crack it but I can't- tried stretching that is not helping yet either.

Thanks for your reply.

boxer13

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply.

Scarlett81

Yes I've had terrible back and neck pain since being pregnant. I started going to the chiropractor every week, and its helped tons. He told me to ice my back and neck when they hurt. He says the thing you want to naturally do is put heat on it b/c it feels good but when you have backpain its usually accompained by inflammation and heat only worsens inflammation. So I bit the bullet and use ice and though its not a comfy as a hot bath or hot pack-afterwards it feels much better. You can use what he called 'fake heat'-icy hot rub or some type of menthol rub. It feels hot but its really not.
I'd go to the chiropractor if I were you.

Scarlett81

Yes I've had terrible back and neck pain since being pregnant. I started going to the chiropractor every week, and its helped tons. He told me to ice my back and neck when they hurt. He says the thing you want to naturally do is put heat on it b/c it feels good but when you have backpain its usually accompained by inflammation and heat only worsens inflammation. So I bit the bullet and use ice and though its not a comfy as a hot bath or hot pack-afterwards it feels much better. You can use what he called 'fake heat'-icy hot rub or some type of menthol rub. It feels hot but its really not.

Scarlett81

babycakes

Hi Michelle,

Here are a few things to try...I'm a Registered Massage Therapist, so slightly biased HAHA! But a massage would help you if it isn't contraindicated. Usually we suggest a massage before going to the chiropractor. This will make the chiro adjustment last longer because the muscles are loose and not guarding.

Also try epsom salt baths 1/2 cup to every 50 lbs of body weight.
Ice is also great for taking down any swelling to the area especially after a treatment. You could also try "flushing the area" heat for 3 min. then cold for 30 sec do this 3 times ...always end on cold.

One more thing ...take 2 tennis balls , put them in a sock, tie the open end . Lay on the floor and place the balls where it hurts on either side on your spine. try to lay there until the pain eases off.

Oh, if you do go for massage... try to find a clinic that has a pregnancy pillow so you can lay on your tummy!! good luck!!

JJ

babycakes

Hi Michelle,

Here are a few things to try...I'm a Registered Massage Therapist, so slightly biased HAHA! But a massage would help you if it isn't contraindicated. Usually we suggest a massage before going to the chiropractor. This will make the chiro adjustment last longer because the muscles are loose and not guarding.

Ice is also great for taking down any swelling to the area especially after a treatment. You could also try "flushing the area" heat for 3 min. then cold for 30 sec do this 3 times ...always end on cold.

One more thing ...take 2 tennis balls , put them in a sock, tie the open end . Lay on the floor and place the balls where it hurts on either side on your spine. try to lay there until the pain eases off.

Oh, if you do go for massage... try to find a clinic that has a pregnancy pillow so you can lay on your tummy!! good luck!!

JJ

babycakes

Hi Michelle,

JJ