Bathroom humidity

ymikhale

we live in a relatively small one bathroom appartment. recently we had a major leak from neighbors above that pretty much flooded all the ceiling and the walls. all the wet paint was taken off the walls but it is still very humid, i can even smell it. and it will take weeks if not months for everything to dry.

my question is how can i protect my 3 y/o dd w/cf? i don't have any family nearby to ship her off to. for now i have her wear a mask when giving her a short bath and make the bathroom off limits at all other times. i have an air purifier, but it is a basic one, so i am not sure if it will help if i put it in the bathroom.

Any advice/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

ymikhale

we live in a relatively small one bathroom appartment. recently we had a major leak from neighbors above that pretty much flooded all the ceiling and the walls. all the wet paint was taken off the walls but it is still very humid, i can even smell it. and it will take weeks if not months for everything to dry.

my question is how can i protect my 3 y/o dd w/cf? i don't have any family nearby to ship her off to. for now i have her wear a mask when giving her a short bath and make the bathroom off limits at all other times. i have an air purifier, but it is a basic one, so i am not sure if it will help if i put it in the bathroom.

Any advice/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />my question is how can i protect my 3 y/o dd w/cf? i don't have any family nearby to ship her off to. for now i have her wear a mask when giving her a short bath and make the bathroom off limits at all other times. i have an air purifier, but it is a basic one, so i am not sure if it will help if i put it in the bathroom.
<br />
<br />Any advice/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Get a dehumidifier. You could also spray the bathroom with a bleach solution to prevent mold /mildew. Also, call your CF social worker maybe they can assist you in finding another apartment. Also, a resource may be a professional cleaning service, that kind that deals with floods etc, they may have ideas in terms of maintaining a healthy environment.

Our family went through this; this winter our roof leaked into the room my daughter does all her treatments. We basically moved out for 2 months and had a new roof put on; it was about as stressful as it gets; so I totally understand.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Get a dehumidifier. You could also spray the bathroom with a bleach solution to prevent mold /mildew. Also, call your CF social worker maybe they can assist you in finding another apartment. Also, a resource may be a professional cleaning service, that kind that deals with floods etc, they may have ideas in terms of maintaining a healthy environment.

Our family went through this; this winter our roof leaked into the room my daughter does all her treatments. We basically moved out for 2 months and had a new roof put on; it was about as stressful as it gets; so I totally understand.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />Our family went through this; this winter our roof leaked into the room my daughter does all her treatments. We basically moved out for 2 months and had a new roof put on; it was about as stressful as it gets; so I totally understand.

C

Cherylwithone

Your landlord needs to make some holes in the wall and get air in there to dry it out. He or she really should remove the sheet rock and replace it. Since your child has CF the inside of the walls will grow mold that you can not see. Also because homes have wooden studs that will grow mold. This is not good for even a healthy person.

I don't mean to freak you out or anything.

C

Cherylwithone

Your landlord needs to make some holes in the wall and get air in there to dry it out. He or she really should remove the sheet rock and replace it. Since your child has CF the inside of the walls will grow mold that you can not see. Also because homes have wooden studs that will grow mold. This is not good for even a healthy person.

I don't mean to freak you out or anything.

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />I don't mean to freak you out or anything.

If the bathroom doesn't have windows - use a dehumidifier and spray the wals with special antymold solutions - usually based on cholride - bleach like. You may also consider removing the rift between tiles and plaster if you find that mold is starting - darker patches on plaster or black stuff.. Also it would be good to keep it open and let as much fresh air in as possible and use a ventilator or extractor fan and heat up the room. The quicker you get the moist out the better. But the most important is to get it dry and see if you find any mold comming out between the tiles and smell the room.
But you can't keep it closed - that's no good - it won't get the moist out but will help mold establish and grow.
Good luck

If the bathroom doesn't have windows - use a dehumidifier and spray the wals with special antymold solutions - usually based on cholride - bleach like. You may also consider removing the rift between tiles and plaster if you find that mold is starting - darker patches on plaster or black stuff.. Also it would be good to keep it open and let as much fresh air in as possible and use a ventilator or extractor fan and heat up the room. The quicker you get the moist out the better. But the most important is to get it dry and see if you find any mold comming out between the tiles and smell the room.
But you can't keep it closed - that's no good - it won't get the moist out but will help mold establish and grow.
Good luck

<br />But you can't keep it closed - that's no good - it won't get the moist out but will help mold establish and grow.
<br />Good luck
<br />
<br />

ymikhale

thanks everybody for your replies. They did make open a vent in the wall to have as much air movement as possible and i did apply a bleach solution. hopefully it will help somewhat.
will definitely buy a dehumidifier. ANyone has experience with dehumidifiers? I know i have to empty water frequently, but any other tips?

thanks again for all that info

ymikhale

thanks everybody for your replies. They did make open a vent in the wall to have as much air movement as possible and i did apply a bleach solution. hopefully it will help somewhat.
will definitely buy a dehumidifier. ANyone has experience with dehumidifiers? I know i have to empty water frequently, but any other tips?

thanks again for all that info

ymikhale

<br />will definitely buy a dehumidifier. ANyone has experience with dehumidifiers? I know i have to empty water frequently, but any other tips?
<br />
<br />thanks again for all that info

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We use one in the summer in our basement when it's really humid out. Pulls water out of the air, etc. Empty the pan daily. Ours is rather noisy, but does the trick. I turn it off if DS is playing downstairs while I'm working out so he can hear the tv. Would think though that you'd probably only need to use it for a short time until things are dried out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We use one in the summer in our basement when it's really humid out. Pulls water out of the air, etc. Empty the pan daily. Ours is rather noisy, but does the trick. I turn it off if DS is playing downstairs while I'm working out so he can hear the tv. Would think though that you'd probably only need to use it for a short time until things are dried out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Hi - just remember to use the bleach - chloride solution a couple of times and after 24 hours wash with warm water and let dry. Use it on all surfaces like walls and floor and ceiling - but take down the tiles and plaster if you want to be 100% percent sure - at least up to 50 cm around the part that was flooded.

You can add other cleaning solutions but without ammonia - ammonia and sodium chloride make a toxic gas.
The basic for this - apart from a sutuation when you can acctually see the mold - is smelling if the room is damp.

Good luck

Hi - just remember to use the bleach - chloride solution a couple of times and after 24 hours wash with warm water and let dry. Use it on all surfaces like walls and floor and ceiling - but take down the tiles and plaster if you want to be 100% percent sure - at least up to 50 cm around the part that was flooded.

You can add other cleaning solutions but without ammonia - ammonia and sodium chloride make a toxic gas.
The basic for this - apart from a sutuation when you can acctually see the mold - is smelling if the room is damp.

Good luck