BiPap Machine

JustAndrea

Please help! I have recently joined because I want to chat with people who really understand what I am going through. This hospital stay has left me so alone and frustrated.

I am a 31 year old female with CF. I was diagnosed at 6 months (brother has CF so they tested me), my pfts are not so good, I live in Iowa, I work full time and live with my little dog who is like my baby.

I am in the hospital and nearing the end of my stay. I had come in thinking this would be another uneventful stay but the day after I came in, I woke up in the ICU. I guess my CO2 level was high, it made me sleepy and then weak and so on. I don't remember much. So I ended up on this BiPap machine. I was on that all day for a day or so and then was told I needed to sleep with it to get the level down. So I did and it got down to an acceptable level and I thought that would be the end of that. Now I feel better and feel like I am breathing like I normally do and they want me to continue to wear this at night and even get one for home use. Besides the fact that I HATE this machine, I just feel if you can breathe by yourself, then do it. The mask is uncomfortable and when I wake up, I feel like I have been working harder to breathe with it because I am fighting it. Everyone keeps telling me I will get use to it but why do I want to do that? I know I came in and needed it but now I feel better and would like to go back to what I have been doing. So does anyone else have to use these? Tell me what you know.

Andrea

JustAndrea

Please help! I have recently joined because I want to chat with people who really understand what I am going through. This hospital stay has left me so alone and frustrated.

I am a 31 year old female with CF. I was diagnosed at 6 months (brother has CF so they tested me), my pfts are not so good, I live in Iowa, I work full time and live with my little dog who is like my baby.

I am in the hospital and nearing the end of my stay. I had come in thinking this would be another uneventful stay but the day after I came in, I woke up in the ICU. I guess my CO2 level was high, it made me sleepy and then weak and so on. I don't remember much. So I ended up on this BiPap machine. I was on that all day for a day or so and then was told I needed to sleep with it to get the level down. So I did and it got down to an acceptable level and I thought that would be the end of that. Now I feel better and feel like I am breathing like I normally do and they want me to continue to wear this at night and even get one for home use. Besides the fact that I HATE this machine, I just feel if you can breathe by yourself, then do it. The mask is uncomfortable and when I wake up, I feel like I have been working harder to breathe with it because I am fighting it. Everyone keeps telling me I will get use to it but why do I want to do that? I know I came in and needed it but now I feel better and would like to go back to what I have been doing. So does anyone else have to use these? Tell me what you know.

Andrea

JustAndrea

<br />
<br />I am a 31 year old female with CF. I was diagnosed at 6 months (brother has CF so they tested me), my pfts are not so good, I live in Iowa, I work full time and live with my little dog who is like my baby.
<br />
<br />I am in the hospital and nearing the end of my stay. I had come in thinking this would be another uneventful stay but the day after I came in, I woke up in the ICU. I guess my CO2 level was high, it made me sleepy and then weak and so on. I don't remember much. So I ended up on this BiPap machine. I was on that all day for a day or so and then was told I needed to sleep with it to get the level down. So I did and it got down to an acceptable level and I thought that would be the end of that. Now I feel better and feel like I am breathing like I normally do and they want me to continue to wear this at night and even get one for home use. Besides the fact that I HATE this machine, I just feel if you can breathe by yourself, then do it. The mask is uncomfortable and when I wake up, I feel like I have been working harder to breathe with it because I am fighting it. Everyone keeps telling me I will get use to it but why do I want to do that? I know I came in and needed it but now I feel better and would like to go back to what I have been doing. So does anyone else have to use these? Tell me what you know.
<br />
<br />Andrea

my65roses4me

I dont have any experience with bipap machines but I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I hope someone with experience is able to help you out.
Im sorry that your health is being a b#$%^ to deal with recently and I hope you are able to go home without the machine!

my65roses4me

I dont have any experience with bipap machines but I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I hope someone with experience is able to help you out.
Im sorry that your health is being a b#$%^ to deal with recently and I hope you are able to go home without the machine!

my65roses4me

<br />Im sorry that your health is being a b#$%^ to deal with recently and I hope you are able to go home without the machine!

CountryGirl

The Bi-pap machine they give you at home is a lot smaller than the one they use in the hospital I can tell you that and the masks they give you are much more comfortable. They have special ones made for children and women. I have one that is made especially for women and its smaller so that it fits more comfortably and it doesn't prevent you from moving around in your sleep.

It does help with the breathing and the only problem I had was at the begining, the humidity was not set high enough and i woke up to the feeling of being punched in the nose. I sleep with my bipap on the lowest setting though or else it bothers me and I feel like I can't breathe, but you get used to it.

CountryGirl

The Bi-pap machine they give you at home is a lot smaller than the one they use in the hospital I can tell you that and the masks they give you are much more comfortable. They have special ones made for children and women. I have one that is made especially for women and its smaller so that it fits more comfortably and it doesn't prevent you from moving around in your sleep.

It does help with the breathing and the only problem I had was at the begining, the humidity was not set high enough and i woke up to the feeling of being punched in the nose. I sleep with my bipap on the lowest setting though or else it bothers me and I feel like I can't breathe, but you get used to it.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />It does help with the breathing and the only problem I had was at the begining, the humidity was not set high enough and i woke up to the feeling of being punched in the nose. I sleep with my bipap on the lowest setting though or else it bothers me and I feel like I can't breathe, but you get used to it.