Brown blood

4hats

I had a bout of hemoptysis this past Sunday which was straight blood, bright red. It got under control that evening after about 30 minutes and has been dissipating since. However, I'm still coughing up a little bit of blood 4 days later and the color is more of a brownish hue. Is this just remnants of what took place on Sunday? Has anyone else experienced this? Of course, I've been in touch with my doctor.

Jana

More brownish-colored blood usually indicates it's not fresh, so I would think you're correct that it's just the remnants. It never hurts to run it by your doctor, though, to be sure.

mamaScarlett

Yes, The times I've had hemoptysis, a few days post episode and up to a week post, is when I will have more brownish blood than red. I agree its old and remnants of an episode. The other thing I consider is the consistency. If mine is thicker, it may be mixed with mucus that is also brownish, so I keep an eye on that. Its common to get more mucus post hemoptysis, bc I am much more cautious with my chest pt. Once good chest pt resumes, hydration, rest, it always clears up.
Feel better, get some rest :)

B

BreathinSteven

I agree with all that was said here - I had a substantial hemoptysis, and over the next several years leading do my transplant, I had occasional small ones. I'm not going to deny that they always gave me the willies. Often, days later, I too would get up a blop of darker, browner blood... Hope everything clears up soon, 4hats! Love, Steve