CF Kids in School Together

rosesixtyfive

Anyone hear of a news story from 2012 about a child who was asked to transfer schools because he had two CF genes and the school was already occupied by a brother and sister with CF? You can Google articles from 2012 if you type in "Student with Cystic Fibrosis Kicked Out of School.'

The comments section infuriated me. People were posting things about how ignorant the educators were for discriminating against a child with the genes for CF who did not actually have the disease. But everyone here on this website knows that if you have the two genes, you have the disease, and eventually you will have to deal with it. The mother of the child had threatened to sue the school for discrimination. Her child was 11 and had never had to do breathing treatments.. I think she was living in a bubble though if she thinks that three kids with CF in a school could not be a danger to each other. The posters were asking why they couldn't just test the kid to see if he had any dangerous bacteria and then send him on to school. (Yes, let's give him a bronchoscopy every month, and keep our fingers crossed). It was ironic and infuriating.

But I haven't seen any articles that explained the outcome. Anyone know how that debate turned out? I would like to know in case I ever have a similar situation.

rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, 4 years old, ddf508