CFers and healthcare jobs. im going into diagnostic medical sonography

So i was wondering how many CFers have careers in the medical field.<br>im going into diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound).<br>for those of you who do have careers in the medical field how often do you work?<br>part time. full time. per diem. and what do you find works best for you?<br>im trying to figure out how much i want to or will be able to work.<br>i know it is specific for each individual but i want to get an idea.<br>anyone else do ultrasound?<br>also how often do you tend to get sick?<br>i mean to take as many precautions as possible to stay away from infection.<br>also anything else you might think i should know ahead of time.<br>your input in much appreciated.<br>thanks.<br>

So i was wondering how many CFers have careers in the medical field.<br>im going into diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound).<br>for those of you who do have careers in the medical field how often do you work?<br>part time. full time. per diem. and what do you find works best for you?<br>im trying to figure out how much i want to or will be able to work.<br>i know it is specific for each individual but i want to get an idea.<br>anyone else do ultrasound?<br>also how often do you tend to get sick?<br>i mean to take as many precautions as possible to stay away from infection.<br>also anything else you might think i should know ahead of time.<br>your input in much appreciated.<br>thanks.<br>

Havoc

I worked full time in EMS for 10 years, until i picked up MRSA. I am looking for a career change.

Havoc

I worked full time in EMS for 10 years, until i picked up MRSA. I am looking for a career change.

Havoc

marisalynn

Hey Tamara,
I am an RN on a med/surg unit of a hospital. I work usually 3 12-hour shifts/week. I have to say that this is really convenient as opposed to working monday through friday, as it is easier to schedule doctor's appointments and not have to miss work.
Another thing that is good about the healthcare field is that you are constantly washing your hands, and using precautions when need be. I am not saying that there isn't an increased risk, but in my 2 years as an RN, I can say that I have never (to my knowledge) contracted any sickness from a patient. I have caught colds from my coworkers, but not patients. That being said, I have been pretty lucky. I usually only get sick a few times a year, and it is usually easily resolved with oral antibiotics.
Another good thing about working in the healthcare profession is that most of the people you work with will already have some knowledge of CF, so they will likely be more understanding of the realities of CF, also the added perk of not having to explain what CF is to anyone who you have to tell that you have CF.
Good luck with your decision!
Marisa RN, 23 w/CF, 20 weeks pregnant with our 1st baby girl!

marisalynn

Hey Tamara,
I am an RN on a med/surg unit of a hospital. I work usually 3 12-hour shifts/week. I have to say that this is really convenient as opposed to working monday through friday, as it is easier to schedule doctor's appointments and not have to miss work.
Another thing that is good about the healthcare field is that you are constantly washing your hands, and using precautions when need be. I am not saying that there isn't an increased risk, but in my 2 years as an RN, I can say that I have never (to my knowledge) contracted any sickness from a patient. I have caught colds from my coworkers, but not patients. That being said, I have been pretty lucky. I usually only get sick a few times a year, and it is usually easily resolved with oral antibiotics.
Another good thing about working in the healthcare profession is that most of the people you work with will already have some knowledge of CF, so they will likely be more understanding of the realities of CF, also the added perk of not having to explain what CF is to anyone who you have to tell that you have CF.
Good luck with your decision!
Marisa RN, 23 w/CF, 20 weeks pregnant with our 1st baby girl!

marisalynn

Hey Tamara,
<br />I am an RN on a med/surg unit of a hospital. I work usually 3 12-hour shifts/week. I have to say that this is really convenient as opposed to working monday through friday, as it is easier to schedule doctor's appointments and not have to miss work.
<br />Another thing that is good about the healthcare field is that you are constantly washing your hands, and using precautions when need be. I am not saying that there isn't an increased risk, but in my 2 years as an RN, I can say that I have never (to my knowledge) contracted any sickness from a patient. I have caught colds from my coworkers, but not patients. That being said, I have been pretty lucky. I usually only get sick a few times a year, and it is usually easily resolved with oral antibiotics.
<br />Another good thing about working in the healthcare profession is that most of the people you work with will already have some knowledge of CF, so they will likely be more understanding of the realities of CF, also the added perk of not having to explain what CF is to anyone who you have to tell that you have CF.
<br />Good luck with your decision!
<br />Marisa RN, 23 w/CF, 20 weeks pregnant with our 1st baby girl!

rubyroselee

Hi Tamara,

I am a licensed RN, although I never practiced as one after college (because I ended up not liking the nursing field like I thought I would). So I worked in medical administration/management afterwards in medical practices and hospitals instead. So even though I wasn't directly exposed to to patients and germs, I have always still been in the environment.

I definitely think that working in the medical field is fine as long as you take the proper precautions. Being a sonographer, you likely will not be exposed to as many germs (compared to working on a hospital floor).

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Tamara,

I am a licensed RN, although I never practiced as one after college (because I ended up not liking the nursing field like I thought I would). So I worked in medical administration/management afterwards in medical practices and hospitals instead. So even though I wasn't directly exposed to to patients and germs, I have always still been in the environment.

I definitely think that working in the medical field is fine as long as you take the proper precautions. Being a sonographer, you likely will not be exposed to as many germs (compared to working on a hospital floor).

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi Tamara,
<br />
<br />I am a licensed RN, although I never practiced as one after college (because I ended up not liking the nursing field like I thought I would). So I worked in medical administration/management afterwards in medical practices and hospitals instead. So even though I wasn't directly exposed to to patients and germs, I have always still been in the environment.
<br />
<br />I definitely think that working in the medical field is fine as long as you take the proper precautions. Being a sonographer, you likely will not be exposed to as many germs (compared to working on a hospital floor).
<br />
<br />Good luck!

falbie13

Hi Tamara,
I was an ER nurse prior to my transplant for almost 5 years, and to my knowledge didnt catch anything from my patients. I was lucky that I had such great coworkers who looked out for me. I was always assigned to non-respiratory complaints during flu seasons and if someone had something even slighly respiratory related that was probably communicable my coworkers would take the patient. That being said, just wash your hands alot and things should work out fine.
Oh I initially worked full time on night shift but my docs didnt like that very much so I switched to part time evening/night shift. That was good because I was only required to work 20 hours a week but could pick up extra time( and extra money) if I was feeling up to it!

falbie13

Hi Tamara,
I was an ER nurse prior to my transplant for almost 5 years, and to my knowledge didnt catch anything from my patients. I was lucky that I had such great coworkers who looked out for me. I was always assigned to non-respiratory complaints during flu seasons and if someone had something even slighly respiratory related that was probably communicable my coworkers would take the patient. That being said, just wash your hands alot and things should work out fine.
Oh I initially worked full time on night shift but my docs didnt like that very much so I switched to part time evening/night shift. That was good because I was only required to work 20 hours a week but could pick up extra time( and extra money) if I was feeling up to it!

falbie13

Hi Tamara,
<br />I was an ER nurse prior to my transplant for almost 5 years, and to my knowledge didnt catch anything from my patients. I was lucky that I had such great coworkers who looked out for me. I was always assigned to non-respiratory complaints during flu seasons and if someone had something even slighly respiratory related that was probably communicable my coworkers would take the patient. That being said, just wash your hands alot and things should work out fine.
<br />Oh I initially worked full time on night shift but my docs didnt like that very much so I switched to part time evening/night shift. That was good because I was only required to work 20 hours a week but could pick up extra time( and extra money) if I was feeling up to it!
<br />