Delivery

boxer13

What is better for people with CF: C-section or a vaginal delivery?

Have your doctors discussed this with you?

boxer13

boxer13

JazzysMom

It most definetaly depends on the CFer & a certain amount on the doctors. For me I had a c section due to my history of hemoptysis they were afraid to have me pushing. Many woman have had normal vaginal deliveries with minimal or no complications.

JazzysMom

It most definetaly depends on the CFer & a certain amount on the doctors. For me I had a c section due to my history of hemoptysis they were afraid to have me pushing. Many woman have had normal vaginal deliveries with minimal or no complications.

JazzysMom

LouLou

The plan is for me to deliver vaginally. The reason for this is because in order for me to stay well on a daily basis I cough regularly which is difficult just after you've had abdominal sergury, also, the c-section is a longer recovery. In the end, what ever is best for the baby is what will happen...but in the meantime I think about how maybe I should hire an adula so that in the hustle and bustle I don't get rushed into a c-section if it isn't necessary. I really only want this as a last resort. I can only imagine the pain since I had my gallbladder out in 2004 which was only 4 small holes and it made it difficult to cough for a couple of days.

I also have a history of hemoptysis. It is for this reason I was very clear about not delivering on my back. I hope to be squating for most of it and using a birthing chair.

How about you?

LouLou

The plan is for me to deliver vaginally. The reason for this is because in order for me to stay well on a daily basis I cough regularly which is difficult just after you've had abdominal sergury, also, the c-section is a longer recovery. In the end, what ever is best for the baby is what will happen...but in the meantime I think about how maybe I should hire an adula so that in the hustle and bustle I don't get rushed into a c-section if it isn't necessary. I really only want this as a last resort. I can only imagine the pain since I had my gallbladder out in 2004 which was only 4 small holes and it made it difficult to cough for a couple of days.

I also have a history of hemoptysis. It is for this reason I was very clear about not delivering on my back. I hope to be squating for most of it and using a birthing chair.

How about you?

LouLou

How about you?

boxer13

I have not talked to my doctor about this yet but I have concerns about both:

1) the recover and the anethesia of the C-section

2) the pushing and being out of breath during a vaginal delivery.

My PFTs are lower then yours (47%) and I stated before the I can't go to my CF dr. because I am kind of without one at the moment so I will look to my OBGYN for advice but it good to see what advice you are all getting so thanks for the replys!!

boxer13

My PFTs are lower then yours (47%) and I stated before the I can't go to my CF dr. because I am kind of without one at the moment so I will look to my OBGYN for advice but it good to see what advice you are all getting so thanks for the replys!!

boxer13

LouLou

boxer- Can I help you with finding a cf doctor...seriously I'd be glad to do some web searching / calling. May I ask is it financial or because there isn't one in your area that you like to work with? I find the opinions of both very helpful and so do they. They defer to eachother on many different subjects. Are you being followed by a high risk OB at the very least? I only wish you the best and would like to help if you'll let me.

Are you exercising? If not, you can start during pregnancy some light stuff like yoga even if you weren't doing it before pregnancy.

LouLou

boxer- Can I help you with finding a cf doctor...seriously I'd be glad to do some web searching / calling. May I ask is it financial or because there isn't one in your area that you like to work with? I find the opinions of both very helpful and so do they. They defer to eachother on many different subjects. Are you being followed by a high risk OB at the very least? I only wish you the best and would like to help if you'll let me.

Are you exercising? If not, you can start during pregnancy some light stuff like yoga even if you weren't doing it before pregnancy.

LouLou

Scarlett81

For me they want to avoid a c section at all costs so I can do my chest pt/vest right after I deliver-like Lauren said- my docs and my obgyn both told me they'll want to avoid a c section till the last possible minute b/c of coughing/chest pt reasons.
I am going for a non medicated/natural vaginal birth with a doula-(birthing assistant), but whatever is best for the baby is what will happen. If something comes up, I will be flexible to change my birth plan accordingly.
As to breathing during labor, I think that the lamaze or bradley's technique birthing classes can help greatly esp for cfers to learn how to do controlled calm breathing. And I know my doc mentioned that if I am having trouble, they will give me oxygen, albuterol or pulmicort to help me to breathe during labor/pushing.

Like Lauren said, this is why it is so good to have a cf doc that has some experience with cf moms giving birth. They just know what to do if something comes up. I hope you find someone to help you, and wish you the best.

Scarlett81

For me they want to avoid a c section at all costs so I can do my chest pt/vest right after I deliver-like Lauren said- my docs and my obgyn both told me they'll want to avoid a c section till the last possible minute b/c of coughing/chest pt reasons.
I am going for a non medicated/natural vaginal birth with a doula-(birthing assistant), but whatever is best for the baby is what will happen. If something comes up, I will be flexible to change my birth plan accordingly.
As to breathing during labor, I think that the lamaze or bradley's technique birthing classes can help greatly esp for cfers to learn how to do controlled calm breathing. And I know my doc mentioned that if I am having trouble, they will give me oxygen, albuterol or pulmicort to help me to breathe during labor/pushing.

Like Lauren said, this is why it is so good to have a cf doc that has some experience with cf moms giving birth. They just know what to do if something comes up. I hope you find someone to help you, and wish you the best.

Scarlett81

anonymous

Hey, thanks for your replys and your offer. This is Michelle (boxer13)
Actually I have great health insurance, I have an OBGYN, also a High Risk. They have both dealt with CF pregnancies so I am in good hands there.

I live in WPB, FL and the Cf doctor here is terrible, she is unsupportive and in my opinion very negative. I have looked for pulmonologist here and they have some great ones but they won't take you on if you are pregnant.

i have decided after the holidays I am going back to Miami for the wonderful CF doctors there, I used to go there and should have never switched but wanted something closer to my home in case I had to go in the hospital.

I am exercising and taking good care of myself and doing all my meds. I feel good so far. Its just weird right now not having CF care since I have so many questions.

Thanks to both of you for answering my many questions and talking to me about pregnancy!

anonymous

Hey, thanks for your replys and your offer. This is Michelle (boxer13)
Actually I have great health insurance, I have an OBGYN, also a High Risk. They have both dealt with CF pregnancies so I am in good hands there.

I live in WPB, FL and the Cf doctor here is terrible, she is unsupportive and in my opinion very negative. I have looked for pulmonologist here and they have some great ones but they won't take you on if you are pregnant.

i have decided after the holidays I am going back to Miami for the wonderful CF doctors there, I used to go there and should have never switched but wanted something closer to my home in case I had to go in the hospital.

I am exercising and taking good care of myself and doing all my meds. I feel good so far. Its just weird right now not having CF care since I have so many questions.

Thanks to both of you for answering my many questions and talking to me about pregnancy!