Delivery

anonymous

Hey, thanks for your replys and your offer. This is Michelle (boxer13)
Actually I have great health insurance, I have an OBGYN, also a High Risk. They have both dealt with CF pregnancies so I am in good hands there.

I live in WPB, FL and the Cf doctor here is terrible, she is unsupportive and in my opinion very negative. I have looked for pulmonologist here and they have some great ones but they won't take you on if you are pregnant.

i have decided after the holidays I am going back to Miami for the wonderful CF doctors there, I used to go there and should have never switched but wanted something closer to my home in case I had to go in the hospital.

I am exercising and taking good care of myself and doing all my meds. I feel good so far. Its just weird right now not having CF care since I have so many questions.

Thanks to both of you for answering my many questions and talking to me about pregnancy!

anonymous

Michelle -
I am sorry to hear about the CF Dr that you saw. Please remember that we are always here to answer any questions that you may have. Nothing is off limits!

I had a vaginal delivery. I was in labor for 27 hours, 22 with no pain meds. I finally got an epidural because I knew I needed to get some sleep before it was time to push. For me pushing was fast (25 minutes) and pretty easy.

anonymous

Michelle -
I am sorry to hear about the CF Dr that you saw. Please remember that we are always here to answer any questions that you may have. Nothing is off limits!

I had a vaginal delivery. I was in labor for 27 hours, 22 with no pain meds. I finally got an epidural because I knew I needed to get some sleep before it was time to push. For me pushing was fast (25 minutes) and pretty easy.

anonymous

Michelle -

wanderlost

Hey ladies-
both of my babes were vaginal deliveries, my daughter 100% natural! I was never out of breath pushing. I think if your going to have trouble breathing it will be during the first stage of labor (contracting) as that is the painful part - the pushing is more like taking a bowel movement - and we all have expereince with that! (not to imply it doesn't hurt, but your breath is more concentrated on expelling something rather than that panting you see exaggerated in tv births) I highly highly recommend taking a Bradley class - or reading "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and a doula is good too. Keep yourselves educated about birth and your rights in order to have the kind of birth experience you want!! (As you can tell, I am pretty passionate about this).

wanderlost

Hey ladies-
both of my babes were vaginal deliveries, my daughter 100% natural! I was never out of breath pushing. I think if your going to have trouble breathing it will be during the first stage of labor (contracting) as that is the painful part - the pushing is more like taking a bowel movement - and we all have expereince with that! (not to imply it doesn't hurt, but your breath is more concentrated on expelling something rather than that panting you see exaggerated in tv births) I highly highly recommend taking a Bradley class - or reading "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and a doula is good too. Keep yourselves educated about birth and your rights in order to have the kind of birth experience you want!! (As you can tell, I am pretty passionate about this).

wanderlost

Hey ladies-

W

Wendy

Both my OB and cf doctors agreed that vaginal was the best plan and to try to avoid c-section for delivery in my first pregnancy. Before my son was born, it was suggested that I have an epidural during delivery in the event that I needed a c-section in an emergency. This way, I could avoid general anaesthesia, which can be dangerous if your lung function is too low. My pft was 64% when Ian was born and I did get an epidural (barely in time) just to be safe. I was in labor for a total of only 7 hours from start to birth. I had dialated to 7cm by the time I arrived at the hospial and barely made the cut-off of 8cm - where they will not give one after that point.

I would ask your old cf doctor in Miami whenever you can about the issue of anaesthesia and lung function. When I was discussing anaesthesia for oral surgery with my cf docs, they were concerned with having it done if my pfts were below 50%. I don't want to worry you, or suggest there will be problems, I just wanted to share the info I have gotten in the past and hope it helps you.

Good luck and best wishes!

W

Wendy

Both my OB and cf doctors agreed that vaginal was the best plan and to try to avoid c-section for delivery in my first pregnancy. Before my son was born, it was suggested that I have an epidural during delivery in the event that I needed a c-section in an emergency. This way, I could avoid general anaesthesia, which can be dangerous if your lung function is too low. My pft was 64% when Ian was born and I did get an epidural (barely in time) just to be safe. I was in labor for a total of only 7 hours from start to birth. I had dialated to 7cm by the time I arrived at the hospial and barely made the cut-off of 8cm - where they will not give one after that point.

I would ask your old cf doctor in Miami whenever you can about the issue of anaesthesia and lung function. When I was discussing anaesthesia for oral surgery with my cf docs, they were concerned with having it done if my pfts were below 50%. I don't want to worry you, or suggest there will be problems, I just wanted to share the info I have gotten in the past and hope it helps you.

W

Wendy

mom2lillian

I had an emergency c-section --- 3 weeks ago! anyway my goal was an unmedicated, non-induced, vaginal birth! Ha! Good thing I kept an open mind.

I ended up having to be induced, having to get an epidural because I had borderline high BP so we thought that would help--boy did it my BP went dangerously low which gave baby heart rate deceleration, she had another decell when they tried to have me change positions so we went for the emergency c-section (at time I was fully dilated ready to push) due to babies inability to tolerate labor. We found out she had her head and shoulder wedged trying to come out and was stuck and my placenta also had some calcifications in it (this is common in diabetics and gestational diabetics which I had) reducing her coping ability.

I woudl not recommend a c-section unless you or baby need it, coughing afterwards is horrid and set my healing back alot and I was not able to do therapies to get cleared out afterwards, luckily I have mild lung disease if you are someone who cannot go a couple days without doing therapies it could be a real problem in my opinion. We plan to have another child in a couple years and I plan to ask my doctor about the possibility of a VBAC.

mom2lillian

I had an emergency c-section --- 3 weeks ago! anyway my goal was an unmedicated, non-induced, vaginal birth! Ha! Good thing I kept an open mind.

I ended up having to be induced, having to get an epidural because I had borderline high BP so we thought that would help--boy did it my BP went dangerously low which gave baby heart rate deceleration, she had another decell when they tried to have me change positions so we went for the emergency c-section (at time I was fully dilated ready to push) due to babies inability to tolerate labor. We found out she had her head and shoulder wedged trying to come out and was stuck and my placenta also had some calcifications in it (this is common in diabetics and gestational diabetics which I had) reducing her coping ability.

I woudl not recommend a c-section unless you or baby need it, coughing afterwards is horrid and set my healing back alot and I was not able to do therapies to get cleared out afterwards, luckily I have mild lung disease if you are someone who cannot go a couple days without doing therapies it could be a real problem in my opinion. We plan to have another child in a couple years and I plan to ask my doctor about the possibility of a VBAC.

mom2lillian