Depression

JazzysMom

I hope you dont mind, but I am asking this ?? because my best friend from high school who does not have CF just found out she is pregnant. She is the one whose wedding Jazz/I were in. She is only 7 weeks pregnant, but starting before she found out & to date she is sooooo depressed. She does have an appointment with her doctor Monday to discuss this because it is already interferring with her home life etc. I just wanted a bit of feedback from anyone that might have experienced. She called me to help, but I didnt have it while pregnant so could be of service and felt quite badly. IMHO she is prone to depression because of evidence on her Moms side of the family as well as the anxiety of being 38 & having her first baby & the fact that her hubby is in the reserves and could be called to active duty again for Iraq. In addition she is just a normal worrier. I am truly hoping its a short thing, but the doctor has already mentioned that it might make her prone to post partum depression. She is such a great gal & I hate to see her not be able to enjoy this pregnancy. She doesnt know if she will try again so this might be her only chance. Any feedback or experience that I can forward?

JazzysMom

I hope you dont mind, but I am asking this ?? because my best friend from high school who does not have CF just found out she is pregnant. She is the one whose wedding Jazz/I were in. She is only 7 weeks pregnant, but starting before she found out & to date she is sooooo depressed. She does have an appointment with her doctor Monday to discuss this because it is already interferring with her home life etc. I just wanted a bit of feedback from anyone that might have experienced. She called me to help, but I didnt have it while pregnant so could be of service and felt quite badly. IMHO she is prone to depression because of evidence on her Moms side of the family as well as the anxiety of being 38 & having her first baby & the fact that her hubby is in the reserves and could be called to active duty again for Iraq. In addition she is just a normal worrier. I am truly hoping its a short thing, but the doctor has already mentioned that it might make her prone to post partum depression. She is such a great gal & I hate to see her not be able to enjoy this pregnancy. She doesnt know if she will try again so this might be her only chance. Any feedback or experience that I can forward?

JazzysMom

Scarlett81

Well, as far as being 38 and having children-my mother had her last child at 38, my mil had her last at 43, my sister had her first at 37, my other sister had her 1st and 2nd at 30 and 33....all healthy and the most important thing-we couldn't imagine life without any of them. Once she has that child in her arms, the fear will go away. Who really in life looks at the new child and says-you are nice, but I could do without you...very very few people. That child is your forever, and you can't imagine life without it.
It is totally normal to have panicky feelings when you find out about an unplanned feelings. I think the first thing she should do is tell herself that it is OK to feel this way, that thousands of women have felt the same way, that to a large extent her feelings, pre and post partum are in her control-she has medication options available to her if she needs help to manage them. She sounds like she is putting the weight of the world on her-her mother's medical history and past, her age, her hubby....you know my father (biological) is schizophrenic-I could live my life in fear that I am too or my kids will be....but you can't. Don't think that your parents fate will be yours.
She also has legitimate real reasons to be concerned (her age, her husband), she should talk them out with a professional. They can help put perspective on things. There's nothing wrong with talking it out with a doctor or counselor who is there to help give you a little insight-they deal with those related issues every day.

Scarlett81

Well, as far as being 38 and having children-my mother had her last child at 38, my mil had her last at 43, my sister had her first at 37, my other sister had her 1st and 2nd at 30 and 33....all healthy and the most important thing-we couldn't imagine life without any of them. Once she has that child in her arms, the fear will go away. Who really in life looks at the new child and says-you are nice, but I could do without you...very very few people. That child is your forever, and you can't imagine life without it.
It is totally normal to have panicky feelings when you find out about an unplanned feelings. I think the first thing she should do is tell herself that it is OK to feel this way, that thousands of women have felt the same way, that to a large extent her feelings, pre and post partum are in her control-she has medication options available to her if she needs help to manage them. She sounds like she is putting the weight of the world on her-her mother's medical history and past, her age, her hubby....you know my father (biological) is schizophrenic-I could live my life in fear that I am too or my kids will be....but you can't. Don't think that your parents fate will be yours.
She also has legitimate real reasons to be concerned (her age, her husband), she should talk them out with a professional. They can help put perspective on things. There's nothing wrong with talking it out with a doctor or counselor who is there to help give you a little insight-they deal with those related issues every day.

Scarlett81

cfmomma

The fact that she is open about her depression is a good thing. I have been feeling a little depressed with this pregnancy, even though I am so excited. I know a huge part of it is hormones, along with my anxious personality, and that I don't know if this baby has CF or not. People always think of post partum depression, but pregnant depression is overlooked. I don't really know what advice I can give other than being aware and communicating with her OB/GYN. I'm sure there are some antidepressants that are safe to take while pregnant. Be a good friend and comfort her, she will get through this.

cfmomma

The fact that she is open about her depression is a good thing. I have been feeling a little depressed with this pregnancy, even though I am so excited. I know a huge part of it is hormones, along with my anxious personality, and that I don't know if this baby has CF or not. People always think of post partum depression, but pregnant depression is overlooked. I don't really know what advice I can give other than being aware and communicating with her OB/GYN. I'm sure there are some antidepressants that are safe to take while pregnant. Be a good friend and comfort her, she will get through this.

cfmomma