Do I need to take a pill (enzyme) to have a protein drink?

Enzo2311

This is not a shake, but drink. It is the G Series Post Game Protein Recovery Beverage (3) Mixed Berry.

To me, it tastes like any other Gatorade drink except with 16 grams of protein per drink. The ingredients are:
Water, sucrose, hydrolyzed whey protein (milk), hydrolyzed collagen, dextrose, phosphoric acid, maltodextrin, natural flavor, citric acid, sodium bisulfate, sodium chloride, red 40, sucralose, acesulfame Potassium.

It was not refrigerated when I got it either (it was just in the shelf department at the grocery).

J

jamest

I asked my nutritionist the same thing a few years back. She indicated that enzymes will help digest protein and I should take enzymes with protein drinks - but not at the same amounts I would take for something with fat in it, protein requires less enzymes to digest. In the case of the drink you mentioned, I personally would take 1 enzyme. But what works for me may not work for you - I would suggest calling your CF care center and see if there is a nutritionist you can speak with.

azdesertrat

I would not take any enzymes for a liquid, even if it is a shake. That's just me. I'm sure everyone is differnet though. I would suggest trying without first, & if you have unsatisfactory results, try it with a '10'. I'm on Pancreaze MT-16 & Pancreaze MT-10.

CyrilCrodius

I would not take any enzymes for a liquid, even if it is a shake. That's just me. I'm sure everyone is differnet though. I would suggest trying without first, & if you have unsatisfactory results, try it with a '10'. I'm on Pancreaze MT-16 & Pancreaze MT-10.

It's not a matter of preference or of everyone being different. If there is fat in something, no matter whether it's liquid or solid, you need to take enzymes because your body doesn't have what's necessary to process it, i.e take the fat and turn it into a form that can be absorbed.

That being said, my bottle of Cotazym says this : COTAZYM E.C.S 20 capsules are indicated in conditions where pancreatic enzymes are absent from or present in insufficient amount in the intestine :
[list of diseases where it happens, including CF] and in conditions in which fat digestion is inadequate due to deficiency of pancreatic enzymes.

So what this leads me to believe is that enzymes do not help with protein absorption and only help with fat absorption. I may be wrong though. I should call the company.

D

DebbieS

I agree with the previous poster. I'd check fat content and based on what you'd usually take for that amount of fat, I'd try that amount of enzymes first. Then you can adjust as needed if digestion becomes an issue. Good luck!

erock77

Sounds like there's some misunderstanding out there. Jamest is right, you should take at least a low dose. While fat is hardest for us to digest, we still need help with protein and most carbs. Each enzyme capsule should have 3 types of enzymes in them:
Lipase: absorbs fat
Amylase: absorbs carbohydrates
Protease: absorbs protein
These are the same 3 that are manufactured by our pancreas which can't be properly released. So yes, you need some enzymes to help digest protein.
My understanding of many raw fruits & veggies which are mainly starch and simple sugars, is that they have enzymes in them, and your saliva also produces amylase to help digest the sugars. so you don't always need to take enzymes if eating just an apple, orange, carrot, etc. But it could still help.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Sorry but those of you who think you know everything are particularly irritating to those of us who in fact do. I know exactly one doctor who can speak from first hand confirmation of food v enzymes and he is hard to get an appointment with. Since I was diagnosed I have asked the enzyme question fifty times with fifty ambiguous answers, all from experts. To hopefully end the debate, a few years ago I reviewed my digestion at the chemical molecular level. I can read the arcane mumbo jumbo that is the language of science and in the final analysis all the digestive enzymes do is break food down into amino acids. Once an amino acid makes contact with the nutrient absorbing cells in the duodenum or such they slip into the blood stream where the liver grabs them and recombines them into four specific amino acids that cells metabolize. Protiens by definition are strings of amino acids so essentially albumin is what leaves the stomach if any protien has been injested. That said, unless the ingredients say amino acids or a query to the company say that the protein requires no further reduction, then you need enzymes. Even pure protein comes in chains of amino acids and need a little help. One Creon isn't excessive.

LL

R

RytheStunner

Sorry but those of you who think you know everything are particularly irritating to those of us who in fact do. I know exactly one doctor who can speak from first hand confirmation of food v enzymes and he is hard to get an appointment with. Since I was diagnosed I have asked the enzyme question fifty times with fifty ambiguous answers, all from experts. To hopefully end the debate, a few years ago I reviewed my digestion at the chemical molecular level. I can read the arcane mumbo jumbo that is the language of science and in the final analysis all the digestive enzymes do is break food down into amino acids. Once an amino acid makes contact with the nutrient absorbing cells in the duodenum or such they slip into the blood stream where the liver grabs them and recombines them into four specific amino acids that cells metabolize. Protiens by definition are strings of amino acids so essentially albumin is what leaves the stomach if any protien has been injested. That said, unless the ingredients say amino acids or a query to the company say that the protein requires no further reduction, then you need enzymes. Even pure protein comes in chains of amino acids and need a little help. One Creon isn't excessive.

LL

The most credible people are the ones who don't claim to know everything.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Woah did somebody mention Pancrease? I remember when it suddenly vanished and some rumors it is back on the market. True? How does the new Pancrease compare with Creon?

LL