ER Waiting Rooms

Printer

Federal law (since about 1970) requires that people who can't afford health care can get "emergency care" free of charge.

Thus, crowed emergency rooms.

Bill

Printer

Federal law (since about 1970) requires that people who can't afford health care can get "emergency care" free of charge.

Thus, crowed emergency rooms.

Bill

JennifersHope

Bill you are incorrect, it is not free of charge it is regardless of your ability to pay. You better bet your bippy that you will get a bill. Several if you have xrays and blood work done. It is not free. It is just they can not deny you, even if they know you can not pay.

ER's are overused but many people do not have an option because they do not have health insurance and need to be seen, also, some people can not take off of work or they will lose their jobs and are unable to take their child to the doctor during normal business hours.

JennifersHope

Bill you are incorrect, it is not free of charge it is regardless of your ability to pay. You better bet your bippy that you will get a bill. Several if you have xrays and blood work done. It is not free. It is just they can not deny you, even if they know you can not pay.

ER's are overused but many people do not have an option because they do not have health insurance and need to be seen, also, some people can not take off of work or they will lose their jobs and are unable to take their child to the doctor during normal business hours.

JennifersHope

Printer

JennifersHope:

You can Google the "EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT and ACTIVE LABOR ACT"

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions.

It goes on and is quite lengthly.

I know that I'm not incorrect on this issue. I would recommend that you read this bill in its entirety.

Bill

Printer

JennifersHope:

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions.

I know that I'm not incorrect on this issue. I would recommend that you read this bill in its entirety.

Bill

Printer

JennifersHope:

Bill

JennifersHope

I have and I know, it means that they have to provide care, even if you can not pay, not that it is free. If you can not pay, they can not do anything about it, except send it to collections. You still will get a bill

JennifersHope

I have and I know, it means that they have to provide care, even if you can not pay, not that it is free. If you can not pay, they can not do anything about it, except send it to collections. You still will get a bill

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

Bill I do not want to argue with you, EMTALA (emergency medical treatment and Active Labor Act)is a group of several laws in place protecting the patient from refusal of care from an ER MD. It has nothing in the world to do with being billed. You will still be billed, not saying they will do anything to enforce payment, maybe collections.

EMTALA ensures that each patient is examined and provided with the proper care IF they have an emergency situation or are in active labor. I know this for several reasons, one is I was an ER nurse for a few years and I had to go to EMTALA classes many, many times. The second is, before I was an ER nurse I did not have insurance and I went to the ER many times, and yes I got care, but I also got a bill.

IF you read the EMTALA you will see the guidelines for receiving care. I don't want to clog up this post with something that has nothing to do with the original post, so you can feel free to PM me with any questions or I can hook you up with a link that will help you to better understand.

JennifersHope

Bill I do not want to argue with you, EMTALA (emergency medical treatment and Active Labor Act)is a group of several laws in place protecting the patient from refusal of care from an ER MD. It has nothing in the world to do with being billed. You will still be billed, not saying they will do anything to enforce payment, maybe collections.

EMTALA ensures that each patient is examined and provided with the proper care IF they have an emergency situation or are in active labor. I know this for several reasons, one is I was an ER nurse for a few years and I had to go to EMTALA classes many, many times. The second is, before I was an ER nurse I did not have insurance and I went to the ER many times, and yes I got care, but I also got a bill.

IF you read the EMTALA you will see the guidelines for receiving care. I don't want to clog up this post with something that has nothing to do with the original post, so you can feel free to PM me with any questions or I can hook you up with a link that will help you to better understand.

JennifersHope

Printer

Isn't that what I said? People who can't afford health care get "emergency care" free of charge. We are saying the same thing. If I get a service that I'm not required to pay for, its free (to me).

Prior to "ROMNEYCARE" in Massachusetts, it has been said that "free health care" was costing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ONE BILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR.

Bill

Printer

Isn't that what I said? People who can't afford health care get "emergency care" free of charge. We are saying the same thing. If I get a service that I'm not required to pay for, its free (to me).

Prior to "ROMNEYCARE" in Massachusetts, it has been said that "free health care" was costing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ONE BILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR.

Bill

Printer

Bill

Tammy15

<P>I think it may depend on hospital itself . When my daughter was very young she had severe stomach pain so as cf center was about 2hrs away they had us go to local ER for x-ray I knew we would probably wait but I was checking in heard the ER nurse talking to our doctor I could tell cause she said my daughtersname and the CF doctors name I signed in and said Oh I think you spoke to our CF doctor she looked right at me and said no. After a while they take us back room down thehall was a prison mental patient throwing furniture I was going to leave when a doctor comes in says oh yes need xray CF very bad. So they take her for an xray in mean time they wheel a poor woman into the same room kidney issues they give her a shot dont write it down shes incoherent and nurses change shifts 15 mins later they were going to giver her another my mom and I stopped them . At that point my daughter comes back doctor shows back up says ok. We leave my CF doctor calls for the results they tell him oh yes she is very bad they are admitting her . He almost stroked told them no thye had to transport her then the nurse goes your talking about the mentally retarded girl right. Took my daughter next day to cf clinic he wanted to know what kind of hospital was near us . Now whenever we went to CF center hospital they always took her back right away to a isolated room.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Tammy</P>

Tammy15

<P>I think it may depend on hospital itself . When my daughter was very young she had severe stomach pain so as cf center was about 2hrs away they had us go to local ER for x-ray I knew we would probably wait but I was checking in heard the ER nurse talking to our doctor I could tell cause she said my daughtersname and the CF doctors name I signed in and said Oh I think you spoke to our CF doctor she looked right at me and said no. After a while they take us back room down thehall was a prison mental patient throwing furniture I was going to leave when a doctor comes in says oh yes need xray CF very bad. So they take her for an xray in mean time they wheel a poor woman into the same room kidney issues they give her a shot dont write it down shes incoherent and nurses change shifts 15 mins later they were going to giver her another my mom and I stopped them . At that point my daughter comes back doctor shows back up says ok. We leave my CF doctor calls for the results they tell him oh yes she is very bad they are admitting her . He almost stroked told them no thye had to transport her then the nurse goes your talking about the mentally retarded girl right. Took my daughter next day to cf clinic he wanted to know what kind of hospital was near us . Now whenever we went to CF center hospital they always took her back right away to a isolated room.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Tammy</P>

Tammy15

<P></P>
<P>Tammy</P>